Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 05:58 AM   #46
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,997
Here in France, 3877825 developed the "string of pearls" overtime. It is a body sent by Amazon in exchange of a first one that already had the problem:

K5 - Capteur / Filtre AA taché - Vos témoignages.

01-28-2011, 06:20 AM   #47
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 22
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
Wilker,
Thanks for the numbers. But wondering which database you are talking about? Is there one already compiled??? You must mean pentaxforum's listing:
Pentax K-5 Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com ??

Thanks for taking the time to look through it.
So far, 3865827 is the highest serial# with positively identified "string of pearls" stain. The two others after that do not clarify, could be anything.
Yes, that database. Highest s/n suspected to have stains is 3959315.
Ah, but you meant highest actually verified to have stains.
01-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #48
Pentaxian
LFLee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Western MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,264
If Pentax replace the camera with a new one when you send it.... are we expect to see lots of 'refurbished' K-5 in the near future appear on the market? ^____^

Lee
01-28-2011, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #49
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Grenoble
Posts: 15
oooh! no "rep". That hurts man.

Turning a blind eye to the faults of brand (which is what you are doing) is textbook fanboyhood, fanboy.

I own a K-5, which is currently somewhere in a Pentax "atelier" in France. I think the camera and system are great, which is why I committed to Pentax (I just sold some of my MF gear to pay for 15, 40 and 70 LTDs). It does not make any of what I said less true.

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Someone with 6 posts and 0 rep reeks of canikon fanboy trolling.


01-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #50
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 129
QuoteOriginally posted by Maxn Quote
I'm pretty surprised by how much slack is being given to Pentax on this issue. It reeks of fanboyism, so I guess Pentaxians are not SO different from nikonians and canonites, after all! Here is the deal: Pentax screwed up-- on their flagship camera. Yes, it's true. No one is calling for mass seppuku at Pentax HQ. What would be reasonable would be for Pentax to have a streamlined and consistent way for consumers to 1)confirm that they have an affected model and 2)get clear instructions on what to do and 3)receive a replacement QUICKLY from Pentax. Presumably, Pentax's QA is not so useless that they cannot identify potentially affected cameras from the serial number or manufacturing date. Set up a hotline/web site/whatever to confirm that your camera is elligible for return, and/or maybe to actually be a little proactive and contact wholesalers to whom were sent affected K-5s to recall them or inform customers. Thsi is not rocket science.

Instead, depending on which country you are in and which retailer you bought from, you get different answers on who to send it back to, a woefully uninformed (with respect the he existence of the problem) dealerbase,

I can only wonder what the poor engineers at Pentax must be thinking, after designing such a fantastic camera -- only to see it get crapped on by subpar QA/QC and PR.

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Someone with 6 posts and 0 rep reeks of canikon fanboy trolling.
I'd say Maxn's post makes a lot of sense. +1

If Pentax goes out of their way to take care of the customer on this issue and always, I believe Pentax will reap rewards with customer loyalty and also gain new customers with trust in the brand. With this idea in mind, it's why I also said this in post #34.

QuoteOriginally posted by betaPhoto Quote
I'd like to see Pentax issue a warranty statement covering a stained K-5 sensor from original manufacturing for 5 years, regardless of the owner. If the sensor is not stained as claimed by the owner, the owner pays for shipping both ways and a sensor cleaning.

Last edited by betaPhoto; 01-28-2011 at 08:11 AM.
01-28-2011, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,323
And what exactly is wrong with the way Pentax is acting? They:
- provided a way to identify the issue
- provided clear instructions of what to do (contact the appropriate service department)
- are replacing/repairing the cameras as fast as they can.
By the way, our local Pentax dealer knows about this issue and was very helpful, constantly talking with Pentax Europe in order to find a solution.
01-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #52
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Grenoble
Posts: 15
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And what exactly is wrong with the way Pentax is acting? They:
- provided a way to identify the issue
- provided clear instructions of what to do (contact the appropriate service department)
- are replacing/repairing the cameras as fast as they can.
By the way, our local Pentax dealer knows about this issue and was very helpful, constantly talking with Pentax Europe in order to find a solution.
A distinction needs to be made between what they have done from product debut until a few days ago and now. Let's forget about the fact that because of their lack of information, some of us sent cameras to the wrong place (including me!), which are now stuck in camera-limbo, and look at the current situation.

I still see no clear instructions on what to do from Pentax France. Yes, we have the Pentax JAPAN statement, with a shipping address in Japan -- probably not relevant for European users. Look at the Pentax FRANCE web site. Do you see clear instructions for K-5 owners, or even a translation of the announcement anywhere? Please send me the URL. I don't expect them to put it on the main page, but I don't see anything in the obvious places. Perhaps in "Service et Supports"? Uh, no. When you fill out the form, as of several weeks ago, the response was to send it back to the retailer (rather than Pentax France). Maybe it's posted somewhere else? The twitter feed? Pentax France (Pentaxfrance) on Twitter . Also no.

Replacing as fast as they can? I'm not sure what that even means: does that mean that the "replacement" pool gets priority over the "new sales" pool?

I'm glad to hear that your local retailer was in contact with Pentax. That's great. It would be nice to see the same contact between other big european retailers and Pentax. As I said, I am one of the unlucky ones, and bought from PIXMANIA who still seem to be unaware of the problem.
01-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #53
Senior Member
xGene's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 151
Nice going...

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Someone with 6 posts and 0 rep reeks of canikon fanboy trolling.
Nice! We can always count on some of those "Site Supporters" with 1500+ posts to call a newcomer a "throll". Here's a newsflash for you SMC: His opinion is no less credible or "a propos" than yours! In fact, your credibility just went down a few notches in my book.
I see nothing closely resembling throlling in Maxn's post. I actually gave him a rep. You remind me of another "site supporter" here that keeps calling "hysteria" for anything not aligned with his personal opinions... You guys need to show a little more tolerance...

Gene

01-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #54
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 22
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And what exactly is wrong with the way Pentax is acting? They:
- provided a way to identify the issue
- provided clear instructions of what to do (contact the appropriate service department)
- are replacing/repairing the cameras as fast as they can.
By the way, our local Pentax dealer knows about this issue and was very helpful, constantly talking with Pentax Europe in order to find a solution.
+1 Exactly


QuoteOriginally posted by Maxn Quote
I still see no clear instructions on what to do from Pentax France. [...]
Why should you need any clearer instruction? You should do what you normally would do if you find something wrong, and need to request a warranty repair or replacement. Usually one would relate to the dealer where the product was bought.

The 'sensor stains' is not a special case. The only thing special about the stain situation is that it affects more cameras than the usual, more or less random malfunctions or manufacturing faults. But for the end user it doesn’t matter. If my camera is affected by the stains (as it was), or it had a scratch over the whole sensor, or a rotary didn’t work, or something else, it doesn’t make my situation any different if I’m the only one or not. Even if there are 10.000 other people with the same problem, I would have to deal with it the same way.


QuoteOriginally posted by Maxn Quote
I am one of the unlucky ones, and bought from PIXMANIA who still seem to be unaware of the problem.
Ah, yes I can understand they are not the best dealer to handling a situation like this, but that is not actually Pentax’ fault.
01-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #55
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,323
Maxn, cut them some slack
What is this "wrong place"? The warranty (service contact) info should be provided when you buy the product. I knew very well I had to talk with Focus94, and that was before any announcement. If your dealer had no idea what to do (e.g. contacting Pentax for more information), it's their fault.
Replacing as fast as they can is exactly that. Be reasonable; they can't drag this issue, but they also can't stop selling (good) cameras. From what I see, they're moving quite fast.
01-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #56
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Grenoble
Posts: 15
QuoteOriginally posted by Wiker Quote
+1 Exactly
Why should you need any clearer instruction? You should do what you normally would do if you find something wrong, and need to request a warranty repair or replacement. Usually one would relate to the dealer where the product was bought.
I have gotten different answers from Pentax France and from the retailer for what to do.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wiker Quote
The 'sensor stains' is not a special case. The only thing special about the stain situation is that it affects more cameras than the usual, more or less random malfunctions or manufacturing faults. But for the end user it doesn’t matter. If my camera is affected by the stains (as it was), or it had a scratch over the whole sensor, or a rotary didn’t work, or something else, it doesn’t make my situation any different if I’m the only one or not. Even if there are 10.000 other people with the same problem, I would have to deal with it the same way.
Seriously? I guess my expectation is that things get treated differently when a large number of products show the same defect! I thought that was the reasoning behind recalls, but maybe those are only for safety issues.


QuoteOriginally posted by Wiker Quote
Ah, yes I can understand they are not the best dealer to handling a situation like this, but that is not actually Pentax’ fault.
I was simply suggesting that Pentax could probably do more to educate their dealers -- particularly the large ones.
01-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #57
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,323
Yes, but the dealer must also participate
01-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #58
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Grenoble
Posts: 15
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Maxn, cut them some slack
What is this "wrong place"? The warranty (service contact) info should be provided when you buy the product. I knew very well I had to talk with Focus94, and that was before any announcement. If your dealer had no idea what to do (e.g. contacting Pentax for more information), it's their fault.
As far as I can tell, pentax is now saying to send the camera directly to Pentax France. Three weeks ago, they told me to send it to the retailer.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Replacing as fast as they can is exactly that. Be reasonable; they can't drag this issue, but they also can't stop selling (good) cameras. From what I see, they're moving quite fast.
Oh, for a second I thought you had actual numbers or some inside information rather than a warm fuzzy feeling . So "as fast as they can" is fast enough when it's not you who is waiting for your camera .
01-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #59
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Grenoble
Posts: 15
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, but the dealer must also participate
Right, I'm sure that pixmania hung up the phone when Pentax called them to tell them about the defects ( and that some of their unsold stock could also be affected )
01-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #60
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,323
Maybe they figured out this is for the best?
Oh, but you see - I am waiting for my camera (and I might have "some inside information" ).
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, issue, issues, japan, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax, pentax k-5, press, release
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shutter release half-press issue? dcshooter Pentax K-5 15 01-19-2011 03:33 PM
Official press release rburgoss Pentax News and Rumors 4 05-20-2009 06:59 AM
K7 press release on DPR Billgscott Pentax News and Rumors 0 05-20-2009 06:52 AM
Press release photos -- standard? mel Photographic Technique 4 08-26-2008 03:59 AM
Hoya Pentax merger Press release, full text bymy141 Pentax News and Rumors 1 10-30-2007 02:16 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:40 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top