Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Japan issues press release on sensor issue

Pentax Japan issues Press Release on the issue today.
(in Japanese, so use Google Translate or Babelfish to convert)

PENTAX K-5??????????PENTAX

01-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Google Translate didn't do the best job here but it looks like no extended warranty and we have to pay shipping? Not sure about the shipping part though as the translator really garbled it bad in that part

If anyone has a better translator, it would be great if you would post the translation
01-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Being in Japanese, the press release is obviously targeted at the local market. But to my understanding the repair is offered free globally. Shipping might vary according to where you purchased the camera and are located. It could be free or not. Best to contact your local Pentax agent or service centre.
01-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Short english summary:

We recognise the *sensor issue* problem and you may send your camera into a pentax service center for free repair.

01-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #5

To PENTAX K-5 Digital SLR Camera Users

We deeply regret that the first shipment of our PENTAX K-5 digital SLR camera included some products with a stained image sensor — a problem which we believe was caused during manufacturing — causing them to occasionally produce images with spots which look something like water drops, and which users cannot remove with ordinary cleaning methods.
01-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

She said, "Out, d*** spot!"

QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
To PENTAX K-5 Digital SLR Camera Users

We deeply regret that the first shipment of our PENTAX K-5 digital SLR camera included some products with a stained image sensor — a problem which we believe was caused during manufacturing — causing them to occasionally produce images with spots which look something like water drops, and which users cannot remove with ordinary cleaning methods.
Shakespeare quote aside, "caused during manufacturing" sounds like their way of deflecting the blame even though there are reports/rumors it happened during ASSEMBLY (at Pentax). But who will ever know the truth?

People without a warranty or buying a used one (w/o replacement proof) are up the creek without a legal paddle....

01-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If it was caused during manufacture isn't that Sony's problem?

01-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #8

i just saw this too!! i guess it is time to send my K-5 in for repair...maybe the low light AF accuracy will improve with a replacement body? call me sentimental, but i have grown rather attached to this camera....oh well. all good things come to an end i suppose...
01-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Get it fixed before the warranty runs out, no recourse afterwards.
01-26-2011, 06:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
Get it fixed before the warranty runs out, no recourse afterwards.
I didn't even register my warranty and I got my camera fixed. I got my camera back almost 3 weeks ago and I'm a happy camper. Kudos to my local agent and Pentax Japan for the quick turnaround.
01-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

.... still shaking my head.... why, in a gesture of good will, pentax does not offer either a free 2 year warranty extension (or a reduced price) for what has been a manufacturers' nightmare, and owners' aggravation, is puzzling.... this would assuage most of the unhappiness felt by so many on a global scale......
b+h photo (love'em) has recently gotten new k-5 stock, i'd asked them whether pentax has informed them that these are stain free..... still waiting for an answer.......
the proverbial ball is squarely in pentax's court, and they really have to do a much better job in addressing their retail base......
01-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I was confident that we would not get a formal apology. I'm very glad I was very wrong. Kudos to Hoya!
01-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
.... still shaking my head....
I'll send my camera in after 11 months, because of resale value. But i seriously dont see what the problem is with the stain, its invisible in 99.9% of my shots and so very very very easy to edit out of the .1% it does affect.

I'd probably not have noticed it if it wasn't for the interweb.
01-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
I'll send my camera in after 11 months, because of resale value. But i seriously dont see what the problem is with the stain, its invisible in 99.9% of my shots and so very very very easy to edit out of the .1% it does affect.

I'd probably not have noticed it if it wasn't for the interweb.
good points... i agree with your assessment, for me, like many others, spending 1500 or so i think there's a reasonable expectation of not having this sensor staining, the feeling that it's compromised...
and some may have stains which might cause more of a problem than yours has....
i still think pentax could have done a much better job handling this situation..... customer relations is critical to their survival and profitability... we all want them to do well so we can enjoy their future dslr releases......
and an apology is of course a nice gesture, but it fixes nothing.... an extended warranty would give many a greater piece of mind in making this purchase... myself included....
01-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I got my K5 swapped for a new one, at Park Cameras UK. Very good service.

QuoteQuote:
I'll send my camera in after 11 months, because of resale value
That a good strategy, although you need to check your local laws on that. Here in the UK, after 6 months I think, it is no longer the default legal position that the defect was "inherent" and they are obliged only to repair the item (so you might be without it for a long time, and you won't get a new one back).

QuoteQuote:
But i seriously dont see what the problem is with the stain, its invisible in 99.9% of my shots and so very very very easy to edit out of the .1% it does affect.
Probably true for a lot of people. It's visible in about 5% of mine, and then it is very visible. I do F22 shooting in specific situations, a lot.
Closed Thread