Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Interestingly, I noticed mirror slap on several series' of pictures that I shot a few weeks ago.
I was shooting 5 exposure brackets with the intention of doing HDR. Everything I shot that day was pretty much ruined by shake.
However, today I tried to emulate the problem in my house and everything was sharp.
No explanation for that other than perhaps something I was doing that day (on an ongoing basis) was causing some grief.
I'll file this in the life's little mystery column and keep an eye out for it happening again and see if I can pin it down.
One thing that is a little odd, definitely a quirk in how Pentax decided to program the camera operation, it doesn't seem possible to combine mirror lock with auto bracketing.
I would love for someone to correct me on this.

01-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I was shooting 5 exposure brackets with the intention of doing HDR. Everything I shot that day was pretty much ruined by shake.
Thats interesting, I had something similar happen when I was messing around with bracketing.

I attributed it to user error and deleted the pics, but now I wish I had kept the photos to further study them...

Pat
01-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #18

Original Poster
Interestingly, I noticed mirror slap on several series' of pictures that I shot a few weeks ago.
However, today I tried to emulate the problem in my house and everything was sharp.
No explanation for that other than perhaps something I was doing that day (on an ongoing basis) was causing some grief.
I'll file this in the life's little mystery column and keep an eye out for it happening again and see if I can pin it down.
One thing that is a little odd, definitely a quirk in how Pentax decided to program the camera operation, it doesn't seem possible to combine mirror lock with auto bracketing.
Maybe after the first shot in a bracketing sequence the camera is shaking a little on the tripod (especially if the tripod's too weak, like you said it was) and all subsequent shots show blur?

Maybe this is a case for using SR on a tripod. I don't think it would work though because the SR wouldn't know the shake until it's too late.

Last edited by betaPhoto; 01-26-2011 at 01:15 PM.
01-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #19
Banned

Why not using LiveView on this?

01-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I don't have a K-5 yet, but do have the K-7. In autobracketing or HDR I found that even with using a remote I would have some movement. It seems to be the first photo in the series. I have been using Liveview to get the mirror locked up before bracketing or in-camera HDR and it seems to solve the little bit of shake with the first photo in a braket series.

Still it would really be great to have a true mirror lockup or at least be able to use the 2-sec timer with bracketing.
01-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #21

Original Poster
I believe the idea of mirror slap causing blur on the K-5 is now settled and shown not to be the case. The K-5 seems fine in this regard!

The issue now is for a mirror-up choice to be added to the drive modes in a future firmware release.

End of the subject for me!!!

Last edited by betaPhoto; 01-26-2011 at 01:44 PM.
01-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Given that the OP was triggered by a remark Wheatfield made as an aside in another thread and that Wheatfield couldn't replicate the observation that led to his remark, it is time to close the thread before a "K-5 has a mirror slap" hysteria evolves.

There is no indication that there is a K-5 mirror slap problem and we shouldn't create it out of thin air.

EDIT: @betaPhoto: Good on you for having settled the "problem" for yourself. I loaded the page when your last post hadn't been made yet.

01-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Why not using LiveView on this?
Thanks Ron. I just checked, and this is the workaround I was looking for.
01-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Odd that the OP is complaining of mirror slap on the K-5

If anything the mirror is smoother and better damped on my K-5 that it has ever been on my K20D, which is certainly gives a pronounced kick in the hand from the mirror.
01-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote

If anything the mirror is smoother and better damped on my K-5 that it has ever been on my K20D, which is certainly gives a pronounced kick in the hand from the mirror.
That can be deceptive. My LX cameras had a definite "kick", but I don't recall ever seeing a mechanically induced blur.
OTOH, my Super program felt quite smooth, but had enogh mechanical blur at 1/8 second to require a 15 pound Zone VI tripod to keep it still.
Anyone who has shot with a Pentax 6x7 will tell you that the noises that the camera makes will strike fear in the hearts of all but the bravest and most stoic, but the camera, while sounding like a small firearm, has no mechanically induced blur, even though it definitely shakes a bit in the hand.
01-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote

I do not own the K-5 (but I am deciding if I want one), and can not complain about mirror slap.

I was simply exposing the accusations of mirror slap from a few others so as to settle the issue as to whether or not it was causing blur.

I'm convinced the issue is now settled, mirror slap blur is not an issue!

Last edited by betaPhoto; 01-26-2011 at 03:40 PM.
01-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Well, it might be an issue at certain shutter speeds, in auto-bracket mode, in cold temperatures. We don't really know yet. Do you want to take the chance?
01-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Well, it might be an issue at certain shutter speeds, in auto-bracket mode, in cold temperatures. We don't really know yet. Do you want to take the chance?
so ... slow shutter speeds already at the bottom of handholding range, trying to hold the camera in one position for longer than just one shot, and in the cold, where your muscles are going to experience fatigue faster, as well as be more inclined to twitch...

Yep. Definitely mirror slap.
01-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
so ... slow shutter speeds already at the bottom of handholding range, trying to hold the camera in one position for longer than just one shot, and in the cold, where your muscles are going to experience fatigue faster, as well as be more inclined to twitch...

Yep. Definitely mirror slap.
Pity you didn't bother to read this thread, including the links.
You scored 1 out of 4 on this one.