Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 129
K-5 Mirror Slap? Causing Blur???

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
...what is for me going to be a more pressing problem, which is the rather brutal amount of mirror slap that my K5 has.
(from post 300, page 20) https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/128562-relevant-news-re-...ml#post1358557

Is mirror slap causing blurry pictures?

If so, at what shutter speeds?

Do you have any examples?

Do all the K-5's have the same shutter slap or are some better than others?


Last edited by betaPhoto; 01-26-2011 at 08:43 AM.
01-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
GregK8's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Western New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 614
Every SLR can suffer from vibrations due to mirror slap. Hence the reason for the mirror up functions. To eliminate it, use a tripod, then either use the 2 second timer or turn on the mirror up function so you have to hit the shutter twice. Once to raise the mirror and again to take the exposure.
01-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 129
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
Every SLR can suffer from vibrations due to mirror slap. Hence the reason for the mirror up functions. To eliminate it, use a tripod, then either use the 2 second timer or turn on the mirror up function so you have to hit the shutter twice. Once to raise the mirror and again to take the exposure.
I understand the reason for the mirror up function, but the question is about a "brutal" amount of mirror a slap. And is it causing blurry shots?

Or is this untrue and the K-5 is normal for an SLR? i.e. Can one expect to get sharp shots just like I can with my K20 or now do I always have to use the mirror up function to get good shots?

If it's true the K-5 is worse in this respect than say the D7000, I would certainly buy the camera that takes sharper shots!
01-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,157
QuoteOriginally posted by betaPhoto Quote
(from post 300, page 20) https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/128562-relevant-news-re-...ml#post1358557

Is mirror slap causing blurry pictures?

If so, at what shutter speeds?

Do you have any examples?

Do all the K-5's have the same shutter slap or are some better than others?
Unfortunately, the blur starts at about 1/50th of a second and peaks at 1/15 before becoming a non issue at ~1/8th second.
This is at the bottom end of hand holding shutter speeds so using mirror lock and a 2 second delay isn't a feasible solution.
I don't know if some cameras are better than others, but I would expect this is the case.


Check this post:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/127039-how-long-k6-3.html#post1325333

01-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 129
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Unfortunately, the blur starts at about 1/50th of a second and peaks at 1/15 before becoming a non issue at ~1/8th second.
This is at the bottom end of hand holding shutter speeds so using mirror lock and a 2 second delay isn't a feasible solution.
I don't know if some cameras are better than others, but I would expect this is the case.
Do you think the camera is just to small and light, thus making it worse? Is it bad on the K-x & K-r?
01-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
ditto what wheatfield said...no such problem w/ my K20D (I've shot 1/15s shots lots of times). The K-5's SR doesn't compensate for the slap at 1/15, so even w/ a DA15 lens, it'll blur the entire image... :-P

Doubt it's as bad on the K-x/K-r...different harmonics for different sizes. Some folks have mentioned the K-5 had this issue as well...
01-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: United States
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 392
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Unfortunately, the blur starts at about 1/50th of a second and peaks at 1/15 before becoming a non issue at ~1/8th second.
This is at the bottom end of hand holding shutter speeds so using mirror lock and a 2 second delay isn't a feasible solution.
I don't know if some cameras are better than others, but I would expect this is the case.


Check this post:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/127039-how-long-k6-3.html#post1325333
This is news to me. Is this another generic problem with K-5? Can other owners please confirm?


Thanks,
01-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,140
I'd bank on this being user error- not letting the sr system arm before shooting can cause a slight blur (aka wait for the hand icon).

01-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 529
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd bank on this being user error- not letting the sr system arm before shooting can cause a slight blur (aka wait for the hand icon).
I wouldn't bank on that. My first K-5 suffered from the same thing, along with FF issues. The second unit did not suffer this problem. I don't think my technique changed or I learned to use a camera in the time it took to exchange it.
01-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 129
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd bank on this being user error- not letting the sr system arm before shooting can cause a slight blur (aka wait for the hand icon).
If Wheatfields example of mirror slap on a tripod had the SR on, It's a terrible example of a problem that may not exist!
01-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oaxaca, Mexico; Shohola PA, USA
Posts: 219
QuoteOriginally posted by betaPhoto Quote
Do you think the camera is just to small and light, thus making it worse? Is it bad on the K-x & K-r?
The K-5 is smaller than similar cameras, but it is close to the same weight. I took the following from the B&H pages for each camera:

K-5 - 740g
D90 - 703g
D7000 - 780g

Jeff
01-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 573
I wonder how / if mirror slap causes more or less issues when comparing in-body vibration or shake reduction with in-lens reduction.

Is the impact of the mirror enough to cause the sensor to move in the Pentax, whereas other brands it's fixed and it would have to cause the whole camera including the lens to move to cause blur in the in lens shake reduction scenario.

Just some thoughts because I thought one of the theories was that it's related to the mass of the camera. Lighter bodies more prone to it than heavier ones was what I read in previous posts.
01-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member
bobell69's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Courtenay BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 422
I believe that Falconeye has already dealt with this issue in an earlier thread and put this one to bed.
01-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,008
I thought I already saw where Falc did some tests on this and found it to be less than the K7 and fairly insignificant? I have rock solid steady hands and even with SR often fail at anything below 1/8 with my K20D. This is true even when using my Sigma OS 17-70. The K5 has some problems, but I wouldn't see this as one of them. I have friends with Nikons and Canons and they report the same findings on most models.
Regards
01-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 529
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I thought I already saw where Falc did some tests on this and found it to be less than the K7 and fairly insignificant? I have rock solid steady hands and even with SR often fail at anything below 1/8 with my K20D. This is true even when using my Sigma OS 17-70. The K5 has some problems, but I wouldn't see this as one of them. I have friends with Nikons and Canons and they report the same findings on most models.
Regards
I think Falk dealt with shutter blur not mirror slap.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k-5 mirror, k5, mirror, pentax k-5, shutter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-5 Shutter blur areidjr Pentax K-5 45 09-18-2012 01:23 PM
Shutter Blur: K7/K5? skyoftexas Pentax DSLR Discussion 35 03-25-2011 03:07 PM
Pentax K-x mirror slap and/or SR blur problem firefly Pentax DSLR Discussion 100 02-02-2011 07:26 PM
Shutter blur for the k-x garyk Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 12-31-2010 07:48 AM
6X7 mirror/shutter slap Gooshin Pentax Medium Format 21 01-15-2010 11:31 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top