Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 923
My perspective ? The K-5 is one of the very best dSLRs I've ever used, and this includes some well-regarded Canons/Nikons.

I think its still got a few wrinkles that need sorting out with the firmware, just about everything else I've found with the camera is top notch.

01-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #17
Senior Member
garethwebber's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kent, UK
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 104
Sensor stains

Bit of a plug I am afraid.

My K-5 had sensor stains. SRS Microsystems quickly replaced it. No quibbles: picked up camera from me at their cost. Great service. If you are in the UK: highly recommend them if the stain worries are putting you off purchasing.

Great camera too.

Gareth

Last edited by garethwebber; 01-27-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added sentence making more relevant
01-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member
ve2vfd's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,433
Perspective?

I think that the K5d has the potential to be Pentaxes next K1000 workhorse. In my opinion it's honestly that good.

BUT

It does have a few issues, some are being dealt with, some we don't know.

- Sensor stains (acknowledged and currently being dealt with)
- Low light wide apperture front focus (apparently being looked into)
- Occasional random crashes/freeze-ups
- Some external flash issues

With that in mind, and with the knowledge that Pentax is working on the major issues, I'd say that the good outweighs the bad (of course that does depend on your shooting style!)

Oh and I disagree that PF is filled with whiners... as Pentax seems to have little (if any) quality control on their products people reporting and being vocal about the problems they find is the only way we'll get fixes out of them.

Just my 2 cents worth of course... your mileage may vary.

Pat
01-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #19
Senior Member
raphtze's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 136
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
- Sensor stains (acknowledged and currently being dealt with)
- Low light wide apperture front focus (apparently being looked into)
the two biggest gripes for me with regards to the K-5. otherwise fantastic camera. i got my camera early december 2010, put at least 2,000 frames thru it. absolutely love it. the low-light focusing issue is definitely mind boggling, and the sensor stain doesn't exactly instill confidence--but at least pentax has acknowledged the problem AND has fixed it. for the casual photog, either brand will suffice, and really, it'll come down to emotion with a brand (whether people here want to admit it or not)--i'm guilty of it myself

-raph

01-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 259
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
If we can't trust loyal Pentax users, some of them long time Pentaxians, on a Forum that is almost strictly Pentax for an honest answer then why should we trust those that report no problems?
Allthough they are loyal Pentax users, it seems to me that many of them are quite a newbies in photographing and with advanced SLR:s.

So there is a lot of gripes about issues that are not due to a camera but fellow behind it. Quite a many "issues" are put on camera, but many of them are just lack of experience and knowledge and pure incompetence.

It is difficult to say in public, politically incorrect, but many have bought cameras exceeding their own level of skills quite a lot. And those are in very many cases first ones to blame the equipment, and are not capable to see the truth.

So any kind of poll is quite useless....
01-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #21
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Perspective?

I think that the K5d has the potential to be Pentaxes next K1000 workhorse. In my opinion it's honestly that good.

BUT

It does have a few issues, some are being dealt with, some we don't know.

- Sensor stains (acknowledged and currently being dealt with)
- Low light wide apperture front focus (apparently being looked into)
- Occasional random crashes/freeze-ups
- Some external flash issues

With that in mind, and with the knowledge that Pentax is working on the major issues, I'd say that the good outweighs the bad (of course that does depend on your shooting style!)

Oh and I disagree that PF is filled with whiners... as Pentax seems to have little (if any) quality control on their products people reporting and being vocal about the problems they find is the only way we'll get fixes out of them.

Just my 2 cents worth of course... your mileage may vary.

Pat
Agree 100%
01-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 529
QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
Allthough they are loyal Pentax users, it seems to me that many of them are quite a newbies in photographing and with advanced SLR:s.
And there are some of us that have been shooting for 30+ years, have shot over 50,000 shots with Pentax digital cameras and are upset that the camera has issues under conditions that our previous generation camera didn't have.

If that makes me a whiner, then so be it. I expect a $1500.00 camera to work at least as good as my old $600.00 camera.
01-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,958
My only issue with the K-5 was the FF issue...yeah! it WAS an issue, as now I evenh if the camera has the issue it is fixable. I've heard from enough members whom I respect that their FF issue was resolved when sent in for service. I in fact returned my K-5 as my K-7 did indeed did a better a job with low light focus. But, as the K-5 is better in so many other ways (DR is unreal, high iso performance especailly when underexposed shots are recovered can only be described as magic, and I really do miss the SR which seems to be always ON)...I am ready to get the K-5 again (but, I will agan get it at a store that has a good return policy - in case ).

01-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #24
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,958
QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
And there are some of us that have been shooting for 30+ years, have shot over 50,000 shots with Pentax digital cameras and are upset that the camera has issues under conditions that our previous generation camera didn't have.

If that makes me a whiner, then so be it. I expect a $1500.00 camera to work at least as good as my old $600.00 camera.
Al,

Did you send yours in for service at all?...you know I admire your photgraphy and would like to know before I pull the trigger again...Mighty Mike (DPR) had convinced me this FF issue is fixable, I want to confirm it with you as well.
01-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #25
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 529
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Al,

Did you send yours in for service at all?...you know I admire your photgraphy and would like to know before I pull the trigger again...Mighty Mike (DPR) had convinced me this FF issue is fixable, I want to confirm it with you as well.
It's in transit to B&H for an exchange. It had both sensor stains and FF issues. I hope to have the replacement by the end of next week. If it still has the FF issue I may send it to Pentax for service. Not Ideal and it would probably mean that I won't have the camera for the event that I bought it for.

I did read Mighty Mike 's post on DPR and it seems that his new one is good on both issues. I'm hoping for the same outcome. I really like the K-5 and can't wait to get a good one in my hands.
01-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #26
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,958
QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
It's in transit to B&H for an exchange. It had both sensor stains and FF issues. I hope to have the replacement by the end of next week. If it still has the FF issue I may send it to Pentax for service. Not Ideal and it would probably mean that I won't have the camera for the event that I bought it for.

I did read Mighty Mike 's post on DPR and it seems that his new one is good on both issues. I'm hoping for the same outcome. I really like the K-5 and can't wait to get a good one in my hands.
Thanks....
01-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #27
Veteran Member
Smeggypants's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
My only issue with the K-5 was the FF issue...yeah! it WAS an issue, as now I evenh if the camera has the issue it is fixable. I've heard from enough members whom I respect that their FF issue was resolved when sent in for service. I in fact returned my K-5 as my K-7 did indeed did a better a job with low light focus. But, as the K-5 is better in so many other ways (DR is unreal, high iso performance especailly when underexposed shots are recovered can only be described as magic, and I really do miss the SR which seems to be always ON)...I am ready to get the K-5 again (but, I will agan get it at a store that has a good return policy - in case ).
So why aren't Pentax, who apparently know about this issue, officially stating the the way to fix the FF issue is to 'send it in for service' ??
01-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: United States
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 392
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
So why aren't Pentax, who apparently know about this issue, officially stating the the way to fix the FF issue is to 'send it in for service' ??
I am not optimistic that there will be a press release about the FF issue. And it doesn't matter to me as long as it is fixed quietly in a firmware update, with a comment included. Because, to do a public release and accept that the camera can't focus in low light is a BIG deal.

K-5 is a Sony sensor put in the k-7 body with 'improved' AF system. To acknowledge that the only thing Pentax did independently, ie, 'AF improvement', has a bug would be too much to confess l. Not going to happen.
01-27-2011, 11:54 PM   #29
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perth Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,511
Over blown for sure I have all the problems and its still putting out better shots than any camera i've ever owned.

Every camera has its quirks and i expect firmware updates to sort them all out sooner or later.
01-28-2011, 12:11 AM   #30
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown West Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 850
Original Poster
Well finally got mine today and these are my first impressions;

1. small and sturdy build, feels good in your hands, great ergonomics as you expect from Pentax

2. knobs and switches don't feel as solid as the K20 or maybe they just feel different. Everything felt a bit strange after the K20 but I started getting used to it pretty quickly

3. a big learning curve ahead to understand all the features but once the basics were set up I was off taking photos in no time. Took a while to track down how to expand the ISO to 80!

4. taking photos seems like a whole new experience compared to the K20. When you pressed the shutter on the K20 you felt like a mechanical function had been set in motion, however on the K5 it feels like some magical electronic event occurs. So quiet and fast (responsive).

5. the dynamic range...ahhhh the dynamic range...amazing stuff.

6. boy that sd card is hard to get out!

Will post some pics when I have something decent. Have the battery on charge ATM and can't wait to get out again. Oh BTW no sign of any problems so far.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, issue, issues, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, k5 issues, pentax k-5, perspective, sensor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
advice plz, FA 31mm Limited or other 2? iasonis Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 07-07-2009 11:03 PM
Quick Question!! PLZ HELP! Orli Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 02-21-2009 11:19 AM
Pentax Forum Community Survey (plz help me out!) Reinout General Talk 41 10-02-2008 07:38 AM
On the Winter Trail (C & C plz!) bwield Post Your Photos! 1 03-29-2008 06:59 PM
advise plz aamir515 Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 12-06-2007 09:46 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top