23/11/2010

cheers

mines the same batch...27/11/10....

01-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
One could as easily turn this around and not believe the number of people who can't accept the reality that sometimes a flawed product hits the market and can't seem to get a handle on the fact that they have recourse through the warranty process (which is what I'll be using on my K5 at some point), and that this is probably the better way to deal with it than several thousand missives all saying more or less the same thing on various forums.
At some point, accept that the company has got the message and just send your cameras back, either for replacement, repair or refund if you have one, wait until the bugs are ironed out if you don't, or go buy something else.
Fer the love of Pete, Pentax has manned up and apologized, why can't we man up and accept it?
Hear hear +1 to this.
01-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
mines the same batch...27/11/10....
See that was a Saturday, their mind wasn't on the job!
01-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
If you aren't happy with the workaround and your K5 has an issue you think is unacceptable then get it replaced. It's up to the individual. Even if I had this problem (minor) it wouldn't bother me one bit, but everyone is different and uses their equipment for different reasons.
I do wonder how many K5 owners would have known about any of these issues if they hadn't been aired on here. And before I get jumped on, I know some have serious issues, some have relatively minor one. The point of this thread was to put some perspective on the whols thing.
I am very happy with my K5, it as a great camera, but anyone contemplating buying one, after reading this forum, would probably be reconsidering!
Well As I've testified elsewhere I found the FF issue with my K-5 after only owning it for 2 hours. I then logged on the forum to see if it was a common problem.

And yes I will get it replaced if a firmware fix is not forthcoming.

01-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #95
Banned

Same here. I only started participating in this forum to learn more about why those damn spots weren't coming off my sensor. It's pretty narrow-minded to assume that all potential Pentax buyers are members of this forum. It's also pretty insulting to imply that we all rushed out and bought a K-5 despite knowing about these defects. ozlizard says some pretty dumb things sometimes.

Last edited by Hound Tooth; 01-30-2011 at 01:35 PM.
01-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
It's pretty narrow-minded to assume that all potential Pentax buyers are members of this forum. It's also pretty insulting to imply that we all rushed out and bought a K-5 despite knowing about these defects. ozlizard says some pretty dumb things sometimes.
Ahh it's pretty narrow minded and down right incorrect to to imply that I said those things.

1. I don't for one minute think that all Pentax users are members of this forum, but unfortunately as I don't know them all personally I can only address those who are here.

2. Who is implying that you or anyone else "rushed" out to buy a K5? I just bought a K5 without knoing if it was going to be ok or not, and took the risk that it might have to be returned. In my case, there are no obvious problems and if there are minor ones that I am not aware of, who cares?

This is undoubtably the best camera I have ever owned and I must say I am getting tired of all the negativity surrounding it. It' not the end of the world.
Please keep your personal attacks to yourself
01-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #97
Banned

ozlizard says some pretty dumb things sometimes.
Please keep your personal attacks to yourself
Prime example right there. It would be foolish to personally attack myself.

This is undoubtably the best camera I have ever owned and I must say I am getting tired of all the negativity surrounding it. It' not the end of the world.
Must be frustrating when "the best damn camera you've ever owned" is being bashed left and right for being a lemon. Especially considering how much you spent on it.

But trust me, it's even more frustrating when you've spent that much on it, and you can't even use it for 1.5 months because it's a $%#@!*&# lemon and needs to be replaced repeatedly.

If you're tired of the K-5 bashing, then stop reading and participating in K-5 threads that deal with K-5 defects. You clearly have nothing to contribute there anyways except to dismiss peoples' valid concerns.

01-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hound Tooth I really sympathize. But I know that if I were you, I would have dumped the K5 and moved on by now. You wanted to turn pro, so maybe Pentax isn't good enough for you anyway.
01-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you're tired of the K-5 bashing, then stop reading and participating in K-5 threads that deal with K-5 defects. You clearly have nothing to contribute there anyways except to dismiss peoples' valid concerns
This thread (if you bother to read the title) is about bringing a bit of perspective to the discussion. It is not another "bash the K5 thread".
I am not dismissive of peoples concerns, where they have significant problems, and I appreciate how frustrating it would be, to be in your shoes. I am really just pointing a finger at some of the more "vague" posts where sometimes the perceived problem is down to user error or unrealistic expectations.
Yes there are issues, although it appears that the stain one has been put to bed. The others I don't know about , personally, and probably would have never know about, had I not read about them on here.
It seems that other brands are having problems as well (Nikon D7000), so this isnt limited to Pentax. I had a new Samsung tv break down on me last month. Bummer. I had it replaced, so now I have a new one, and no worries. If this one breaks down I will also get it replaced and probably won't buy a Samsung tv again. Get the picture?
02-01-2011, 12:46 PM - 4 Likes   #100
Forum Member

ozlizard,

Your query seems like a logical request for user feedback, so let me give you my personal experience with my K5 and Pentax DA lenses. IMHO, the severity and inconvenience of any of the reported problems will depend on how you use the camera.

K5 serial number 392…

I will simply list the various problems I have heard about, and my experience if applicable:

1. Stain - none so far.
2. External flash - do not use. I only shoot daylight or hot lights in the studio.
3. Freeze - do not use the camera for repetitive fast action shots.
4. FF/BF - set in-camera focus adjustment to -10 for all lenses. Excellent results.
5. Tungsten focus - my camera has serious problems with focusing in tungsten light, however the workaround is to use LiveView set for "contrast focus" which works flawlessly in tungsten light.

Regarding the tungsten light issue, the problem I have experienced is not a back-focus or front-focus problem but a complete random missed-focus. The camera will indicate it has achieved focus, but 90% of the time the results will be back, front, or no focus at all.

While I am hoping the tungsten issue is fixed in firmware, using LiveView suitable workaround for me. BUT, if I were an event or indoor low-light photographer, it could be huge problem.

So I don't have any serious issues that prevent me from using the K-5 for my work, and the images are superb. On the other hand, if my camera suffered problems that required a return to Pentax in order to use it as intended, I would not be a happy camper.

That is all I can say, but I do hope that Pentax demonstrates a dedication to resolve all of the issues that various people seem to experience.

BTW, this my first Pentax so I don't much of the history. I have about 40 years experience in photography; the first 20 with Nikon, and past 20 with Canon. I do not regret the move to Pentax.
02-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajoe Quote
ozlizard,

Your query seems like a logical request for user feedback, so let me give you my personal experience with my K5 and Pentax DA lenses. IMHO, the severity and inconvenience of any of the reported problems will depend on how you use the camera.

K5 serial number 392…

I will simply list the various problems I have heard about, and my experience if applicable:

1. Stain - none so far.
2. External flash - do not use. I only shoot daylight or hot lights in the studio.
3. Freeze - do not use the camera for repetitive fast action shots.
4. FF/BF - set in-camera focus adjustment to -10 for all lenses. Excellent results.
5. Tungsten focus - my camera has serious problems with focusing in tungsten light, however the workaround is to use LiveView set for "contrast focus" which works flawlessly in tungsten light.

Regarding the tungsten light issue, the problem I have experienced is not a back-focus or front-focus problem but a complete random missed-focus. The camera will indicate it has achieved focus, but 90% of the time the results will be back, front, or no focus at all.

While I am hoping the tungsten issue is fixed in firmware, using LiveView suitable workaround for me. BUT, if I were an event or indoor low-light photographer, it could be huge problem.

So I don't have any serious issues that prevent me from using the K-5 for my work, and the images are superb. On the other hand, if my camera suffered problems that required a return to Pentax in order to use it as intended, I would not be a happy camper.

That is all I can say, but I do hope that Pentax demonstrates a dedication to resolve all of the issues that various people seem to experience.

BTW, this my first Pentax so I don't much of the history. I have about 40 years experience in photography; the first 20 with Nikon, and past 20 with Canon. I do not regret the move to Pentax.
Really nice and well balanced post. +1 to your rep. You listed all ongoing issues, whether it affects your camera or not and then gave the workarounds that work for you. And you managed not to insult either side...that's rare. Perfect!

cheers,

Abhi
02-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #102

wow....me too! and it was driving me absolutely batty!!!! i thought i was going insane giving +/- AF fine adjustments....but as you've said, i do hope for a fix soon thru the firmware.

-raph
02-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
Really nice and well balanced post. +1 to your rep. You listed all ongoing issues, whether it affects your camera or not and then gave the workarounds that work for you. And you managed not to insult either side...that's rare. Perfect!

cheers,

Abhi
Yes. It's a pity you couldn't find that kind of balanced maturity instead of posting this insulting nonsense in the other thread ...

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus:
Problem 3 - k-5 can't focus accurately in low light.
Solution 1 - You don't know how to use your equipment.
Solution 2 (when lot of people started complaining) - Not applicable. I don't shoot in the dark. You will never need to take that shot in real life. Man up and stop whining.
Solution 3 - You don't own a k-5. Get out of the thread.
I'm going to give the guy a rep too. A rep I've deducted from you.
02-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Yup, I use liveview focus wherever possible as a workaround.

However not all shooting situations allow the use of live view. I respect that you already know this - but I highly suspect there others here who do not.
02-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Yes. It's a pity you couldn't find that kind of balanced maturity instead of posting this insulting nonsense in the other thread ...

I'm going to give the guy a rep too. A rep I've deducted from you.
I was being sarcastic in my second reply. I thought the sarcasm was obvious.

Wheatfield was going after Rupert for no reason, so I decided to summarize that.