Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
Allthough they are loyal Pentax users, it seems to me that many of them are quite a newbies in photographing and with advanced SLR:s.

So there is a lot of gripes about issues that are not due to a camera but fellow behind it. Quite a many "issues" are put on camera, but many of them are just lack of experience and knowledge and pure incompetence.
That swings both ways. I've also seen people stating that they don't have any FF problems and to prove it they post totally irrelevant pictures.

01-28-2011, 02:27 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Well finally got mine today and these are my first impressions;

1. small and sturdy build, feels good in your hands, great ergonomics as you expect from Pentax

2. knobs and switches don't feel as solid as the K20 or maybe they just feel different. Everything felt a bit strange after the K20 but I started getting used to it pretty quickly

3. a big learning curve ahead to understand all the features but once the basics were set up I was off taking photos in no time. Took a while to track down how to expand the ISO to 80!

4. taking photos seems like a whole new experience compared to the K20. When you pressed the shutter on the K20 you felt like a mechanical function had been set in motion, however on the K5 it feels like some magical electronic event occurs. So quiet and fast (responsive).

5. the dynamic range...ahhhh the dynamic range...amazing stuff.

6. boy that sd card is hard to get out!

Will post some pics when I have something decent. Have the battery on charge ATM and can't wait to get out again. Oh BTW no sign of any problems so far.
awesome stuff...do FF test when you get a chance, Im interested to know if a later batch from CR Kennedy are sorted...I think yours might be from their Third shipment into OZ ...mine was from the second...
01-28-2011, 02:28 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
That swings both ways. I've also seen people stating that they don't have any FF problems and to prove it they post totally irrelevant pictures.
Id agree with that statement ...
01-28-2011, 02:46 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What about some people on the sidelines who don't even own a K-5 and yet are yapping like experts about the K-5's problems. Go figure...

01-28-2011, 02:50 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Also there's some people on the sidelines who don't even own a K-5 and yet are yapping like experts about the K-5's problems. Go figure...
id agree with that statement too

if Ozy new K5 doesn't have FF..Ill be wizzing my K5 back to the land of pentax..for a newy...I love my little alloy brick...Id love it even more if FF went away..LMAO
01-28-2011, 03:53 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
if Ozy new K5 doesn't have FF
I'll let you know...just waiting for the battery to charge. What exactly is the FF problem?
01-28-2011, 04:14 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
And there are some of us that have been shooting for 30+ years, have shot over 50,000 shots with Pentax digital cameras and are upset that the camera has issues under conditions that our previous generation camera didn't have.

If that makes me a whiner, then so be it. I expect a $1500.00 camera to work at least as good as my old $600.00 camera.

Could you please tell me what are those issues that didnt exist in previous generation cameras?

I have had MX, K2, LX, Z-1p, MX5n, *istD, K100D, K10, K20, K7 and now K5 and I am not aware of such ones.... I have also photographed 30+ years...

01-28-2011, 04:21 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Al,

Did you send yours in for service at all?...you know I admire your photgraphy and would like to know before I pull the trigger again...Mighty Mike (DPR) had convinced me this FF issue is fixable, I want to confirm it with you as well.
You obviously refer to this FF issue, and say that it disnt exist in previous models?

I have to disagree. All Pentax bodies have had in more or less pronounced form this FF problem in incandescent light.

Last edited by Harald; 01-28-2011 at 04:22 AM. Reason: typos...
01-28-2011, 05:45 AM   #39
Veteran Member

You obviously refer to this FF issue, and say that it disnt exist in previous models?

I have to disagree. All Pentax bodies have had in more or less pronounced form this FF problem in incandescent light.
Not just Pentax bodies, all cameras have FF issues under incandescent light. Pentax introduced an AF system that compensates for this with the K-7 and it worked remarkabley well. But, the main point is, I compared the K-5 and the k-7 side to side and even posted the results here showing MY K-7 did a MUCH BETTER job than MY k-5 in lindoor low light (I mean slightly dim light not overly dark)....that's the problem.
01-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Well in reality the FF problem that my K-5 suffers from does not exist in the slightest in my K20D which focusses fine even in light levels which would turn the K-5s assist light on.

Of course no one expects AFR to perform all the way down to blackness, but the K-5 problem does NOT exist in previous models
01-28-2011, 06:11 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Could you please tell me what are those issues that didnt exist in previous generation cameras?

I have had MX, K2, LX, Z-1p, MX5n, *istD, K100D, K10, K20, K7 and now K5 and I am not aware of such ones....
See the above post.

Just becuase YOUR K-5 hasn't the FF problem it doesn't mean no one else's has it. Not every K05 had the sensor staining either.

QuoteQuote:
I have also photographed 30+ years...
So?
01-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
I am not optimistic that there will be a press release about the FF issue. And it doesn't matter to me as long as it is fixed quietly in a firmware update, with a comment included. Because, to do a public release and accept that the camera can't focus in low light is a BIG deal.

K-5 is a Sony sensor put in the k-7 body with 'improved' AF system. To acknowledge that the only thing Pentax did independently, ie, 'AF improvement', has a bug would be too much to confess l. Not going to happen.
That would be fine by me. I just want it fixed. Firmware or replacement. I'd prefer the firmware route of course as otherwise I love my K-5 and would not want to be without it for a while.
01-28-2011, 06:16 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I have had MX, K2, LX, Z-1p, MX5n, *istD, K100D, K10, K20, K7 and now K5 and I am not aware of such ones.... I have also photographed 30+ years...
My first K-5 had severe mirror slap issues along with FF issues. These became obvious when using the K-5 in the same situations where my K100D Super worked flawlessly. I wasn't looking for issues, they found me. Only after I found the issues did I look to the forums to see if others were having similar issues.

With my second K-5 he main one if the front focus issue, although it did have the sensor stain. My K100DS never had a problem with front focus with the types of shooting that I do. I never gave a thought to the light quality when I shot birds, wildlife, portraits or weddings. If the focus would lock I'd get a sharp, properly focused image. With the K-5 in the studio, the lenses have3 to be adjusted for the exact lighting I'm going to use or the focus misses. Set it up at night using the modeling lamps for focus and I can adjust and get perfect focus. Next morning with daylight coming through the windows and it requires another set of adjustments to nail the focus. I NEVER had this issue with my K100D Super.

Now, maybe I got one or two with an unusually bad FF issues or that is somehow worse than the average K-5, but there are a lot of people who are stating that their previous Pentax body did not have the same problem. Since I'm experiencing the same problems, I tend to believe them.

I don't think that expecting a new generation camera to be as good, if not better, than the previous is asking too much. Nor do I think that talking about it, sharing experiences and asking for a fix is whining. Say what you want, but it won't make my problems with the K-5 suddenly disappear.

I have had K1000, P3, *istDL and K100DS before the K-5. I have 18 K mount lenses and I love my Pentax gear. I have a problem with the K-5.
01-28-2011, 07:18 AM - 2 Likes   #44
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have known Al for a long time...when he speaks, I listen, and I know him to be a great Pentax shooter, and an honest man. Take a look for yourself, this is not an inexperienced beginner.
Flickr: AReidJr's Photostream

Likewise, I know a few others that have no FF problems, and I also find them to be honest and well qualified to state their findings.
Flickr: jthommo101's Photostream

So why is it we are at war with each other here? We are all in that same ship, and should all pull together to get this resolved, and if we are not heard as a group, it will not be addressed, everyone knows that the "squeaking wheel gets the grease".

I find it interesting that Pop Photo,in their D7000 review listed poor focus in low light as a minus and I suspect that the K5 will receive the same unless this is resolved. To have a low light capable camera, that won't focus in low light is not acceptable, whether it is a K5 or a D7000. You can bet that Nikon is hearing about this too. They also reported the Canon D60 was better at low light shooting and did not have focus issues. I am not plugging Canon...I had rather have a MF Pentax than a fully functional Canon......but they apparently did get it right, I can't deny.

Finally, no, I do not own a K5, but instead of gloating that some complainers don't even have the K5, you might consider why they don't. There are scores of us that do not want to go through 2-5 returns or send a new $1500 camera to Pentax for repairs that might take weeks. No one buys a new camera with the anticipation that they have to send it back to the factory for the Mfg to "finish building it". You can call us what you want, but we won't be boxing up and sending cameras back and forth, will we?
Best Regards
01-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rupert:
Very well stated and positive. I want the K-5 but cannot go through return cycles.
Earl