Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #121
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Eighteen lenses with a K100DS and you are obsessing over marginal light FF from a K-5?
In my case it depends on which lens I use, it's marginal on one lens, but not even close on others. So yes, there is cause for concern.

02-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #122
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
If only it was just 15 posts!!!!!!!

The K5 lemons continue.........17 posts
Relevant news re-malfunctioning AF....22 posts
Some perspective on the K5 issue.....8 posts
Is anyone else bummed........7 posts
Who cares for bad AF........8 posts
Plus a few in other threads.

Pentax have admitted there is a problem and are working on it.

Most owners have been level headed and responsible. They have accepted there is a problem and are awaiting for Pentax to fix it.

Your continual posting is adding nothing to fixing the problem. It is adding nothing to the Pentax brand name and scaring potential buyers away(Great...less money for R&D and QC)

AND it adds nothing to the reputation of this Forum.

Regards

You know, I would love nothing better than to not respond to these Fanboy Threads, but you just make it so hard to refrain........I don't mind that you defend or even that you attack me personally, forgetting that the K5 is the problem, not me, but when I see the falsehoods you post I just can't let it go.

See if you can do this for us......Show Me!

You wrote..... "Pentax have admitted there is a problem and are working on it."

No, they haven't. If they had I would accept that and move on, but they have not issued a Peep about the FF problem, the Freezing problem, or the Flash problem. They did issue a statement on the Sensor problem and I haven't said a word since about it, and neither have others that are aware of the Pentax Statement. Maybe you trust that Pentax will make a Fix.....like they did with SDM? So if you wan tot shut me up, try to avoid printing things that are incorrect about Pentax acknowledging a problem with FF....they haven't, and it has a lot of people worried.
Regards!

You guys be sure to go back and correct the number of my posts.......this is # whatever.......
02-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #123
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have had about enough of threads turning into schoolyard slap fights by a few posters with impulse control issues. I see two ways to go here. Either keep shutting threads down when that happens, or start shutting down the repeat offenders, thus eliminating the need to close the threads. I'll leave this open for now and you guys can decide how things end up from here.
(You can probably guess which one of the two options I'm leaning toward at this point.)

If you like the K5, use it. If you don't like it, use something else!
02-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
[B]If you like the K5, use it. If you don't like it, use something else!
Well, EXCUSE ME!!! I thought this was a discussion forum, not a fan club. No discussions of the issues regarding the K-5 are permitted in the K-5 forum? Hell, you might as well just shut down this place with an attitude like that.

There are a lot of 30+ year Pentax users that have been loyal customers that are experiencing issues with the K-5. Many of us have heavily invested in Pentax gear over that time. So you suggest that the forum members either say nice things about Pentax or move along? change brands? What a joke!

Last edited by Bramela; 02-03-2011 at 12:57 PM.
02-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #125
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
Well, EXCUSE ME!!! I thought this was a discussion forum, not a fan club. No discussions of the issues regarding the K-5 are permitted in the K-5 forum? Hell, you might as well just shut down this place with an attitude like that.

There are a lot of 30+ year Pentax users that have been loyal customers that are experiencing issues with the K-5. Many of us have heavily invested in Pentax gear over that time. So you suggest that the forum members either say nice things about Pentax or move along? change brands? What a joke!
The forum is here for like minded people to discuss photography, Pentax, and related issues. You are welcome to as much discussion on that as you like. The forum is not here to provide a place for members to bash each other, or to publicly call into question other members' integrity, judgment, or intelligence. It isn't here as a venue for testosterone spitting contests.
As to the "say nice things about Pentax...................." comment. There are other Pentax cameras in existence. Nothing in what I said suggested that another brand should be used.
I will indeed excuse you as you apparently didn't understand what I wrote.

Last edited by Parallax; 02-03-2011 at 10:12 AM.
02-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter

The forum is here for like minded people to discuss photography, Pentax, and related issues. You are welcome to as much discussion on that as you like. The forum is not here to provide a place for members to bash each other, or to publicly call into question other members' integrity, judgment, or intelligence. It isn't here as a venue for testosterone spitting contests.
As to the "say nice things about Pentax...................." comment. There are other Pentax cameras in existence. Nothing in what I said suggested that another brand should be used.
I will indeed excuse you as you apparently didn't understand what I wrote.
Maybe we need some guidelines, such as if you say exactly the same thing 10 times, you are no longer contributing anything positive.
Just sayin.
02-03-2011, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #127
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have had about enough of threads turning into schoolyard slap fights by a few posters with impulse control issues. I see two ways to go here. Either keep shutting threads down when that happens, or start shutting down the repeat offenders, thus eliminating the need to close the threads. I'll leave this open for now and you guys can decide how things end up from here.
(You can probably guess which one of the two options I'm leaning toward at this point.)

I'm biting a hole in my lip, but will say that I am done posting on the K5 problems, defects, anomalies, or whatever they might or might not be called. I have had my say (apparently plenty of times!) and while I am a believer in the freedom of frank discussions, I also agree that it has been well hashed out here for all to see. I also appreciate that this conversation has not been the stifled into non-existence from the start, as it would have been at DPR or some other sites. I appreciate my ability to respond as I have, and the responses of others that I may or may not agree with.
I am going back to where I like to linger the most....taking photos and posting them. This will all work out or it won't, and few of us will have any bearing on the end result anyhow. To those I may have insulted, or may have insulted me, I will remind you that each tomorrow is a new day here, and I will act accordingly. No grudges will be exhibited by me here at any location.....so don't expect to see me address this debate at any other part of this Forum, because I won't.

I have my K20D, love it, always have, I have the X100 coming in March, and could still end up with the K5. Life is good, and I realize it. I hope it is good for everyone else too.
Best Regards
Rupert

02-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Thank you for actually responding. I'm aware of the K5 firmware speculation (I think it's more of a rumor for the K-r). I doubt we will actually be able to see a statistically relevant pattern emerge with regard to serial numbers on these forums.

I've hesitated diving into these FF threads because they are so acrimonious and useless.
My simple question was - for those who 1) actually own the K5 && 2) have FF issues, has anyone sent their K5 back to Pentax for warranty work in order to fix the problem? Was the camera returned from Pentax servicing free of the FF issue? You see, if someone's camera was returned from servicing with zero (not somewhat less) FF issues, it would indicate Pentax has the solution - just one they have chosen not to implement large-scale yet.

You'd think at least one K5 owner on the forum with the FF issue would do that. Instead we see occasional owners who experience the problem but instead choose to gamble with multiple exchanges or speculate about a firmware fix in the indistinct future. Perhaps this is because no one here is willing to part with their camera while it is sent in for servicing. Fair enough.

However, instead of providing useful information, these threads always devolve into posts from those who argue their right to complain and speak critically of Pentax and those who condemn it. For example, "Pentax is going downhill", "How could Pentax let this happen?", "Stop your whining and go out and shoot", "Be a man - no camera is perfect". Reminds me of how so many posts last Autumn became a debate on the merits of full frame.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
I cant help you question about fixed FF, but i did read here somewhere about a beta test firmware that's supposed to fix the FF...but it may be just a rumor..

how bad is you FF, what the serial of the body and build date....not being nosey..just trying to get a handle if a pattern is forming with the K5s that have bad FF....mine is in the 39xx no stains...minor FF

Last edited by MrPetkus; 02-03-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Grammar fix.
02-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #129
Veteran Member

What about a tone it down warning.... maybe introduce yellow and red cards like in soccer.

Sometimes posts are made in the heat of the moment responding before reason... this then grows.

A sensible debate is part of open forum discussions..

We are all here to enjoy Pentax and Photography and of course we all seek to be happy in our passion.

cheers

Neil
02-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #130
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
What about a tone it down warning.... maybe introduce yellow and red cards like in soccer.
That would be the missives I keep getting titled
"You have received and infraction at PentaxForums.com"
02-03-2011, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:

The topic has been thrashed and thrashed to death. And there has been some unpalatable comments thrown in.
At this time I would suggest that most members are sick to the back teeth of the same things being said over and over.
Got something new and constructive, by all means post.

But at this stage, surely it is time to move on.
As I said in my posts, got a problem? Then get it in to be attended to. Then get on taking photos and posting them here.
OR .sell up and buy into a different brand, and vent your frustrations/anger etc on their Forum.
02-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #132

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
The topic has been thrashed and thrashed to death. And there has been some unpalatable comments thrown in.
At this time I would suggest that most members are sick to the back teeth of the same things being said over and over.
Got something new and constructive, by all means post.

But at this stage, surely it is time to move on.
As I said in my posts, got a problem? Then get it in to be attended to. Then get on taking photos and posting them here.
OR .sell up and buy into a different brand, and vent your frustrations/anger etc on their Forum.
The guy just received his 3rd flawed camera. I for one welcome his perspective on the matter.
02-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Thank you for actually responding. I'm aware of the K5 firmware speculation (I think it's more of a rumor for the K-r). I doubt we will actually be able to see a statistically relevant pattern emerge with regard to serial numbers on these forums.

I've hesitated diving into these FF threads because they are so acrimonious and useless.
My simple question was - for those who 1) actually own the K5 && 2) have FF issues, has anyone sent their K5 back to Pentax for warranty work in order to fix the problem? Was the camera returned from Pentax servicing free of the FF issue? You see, if someone's camera was returned from servicing with zero (not somewhat less) FF issues, it would indicate Pentax has the solution - just one they have chosen not to implement large-scale yet.

You'd think at least one K5 owner on the forum with the FF issue would do that. Instead we see occasional owners who experience the problem but instead choose to gamble with multiple exchanges or speculate about a firmware fix in the indistinct future. Perhaps this is because no one here is willing to part with their camera while it is sent in for servicing. Fair enough.

However, instead of providing useful information, these threads always devolve into posts from those who argue their right to complain and speak critically of Pentax and those who condemn it. For example, "Pentax is going downhill", "How could Pentax let this happen?", "Stop your whining and go out and shoot", "Be a man - no camera is perfect". Reminds me of how so many posts last Autumn became a debate on the merits of full frame.

I must admit I fall into the highlighted category, as Im convinced its a firmware issue, ive nothing to base that theory on,

I will wait until the next firmware release , if that doesn't fix the FF, Ill send it in for service, I've already contacted my distributor and made them aware of the situation, they are in the same mind as me ..if that doesn't fix the FF..to be quite honest at this stage I don't really know what I will do..My minor FF is not a hindrance at the moment, but I do want to set up a home studio..it could be a issue then...and I certainly wouldn't want that..quite a bit of soul searching will go on if thats the case

BEWARE..unconfirmed rumour alert .....someone said that a poster on DPR..could be big dave or something like that, had sent his in for service and its fixed , it might be worth a look at that forum to see if that's real or not?...

Last edited by Tommot1965; 02-03-2011 at 02:04 PM.
02-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zugzwang Quote
The guy just received his 3rd flawed camera. I for one welcome his perspective on the matter.
Sure, and I could understand someone voicing their displeasure as long as things don't get carried away.

We now hear that there are delays in getting cameras replaced. While having to wait for a camera is not a lot of fun, it is better than receiving an early production model that may or may not have an issue.
02-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #135
Veteran Member

Thanks. I checked out the DPR forum - it was "Mike" who sent it in for service, I think. His claim was that FF was a little better but not 100%. If that's the case then the servicing was a failure.

I imagine if the problem was isolated to software - then when the camera was returned from servicing a new firmware could be detected in EXIF. Unless Pentax decided to spoof the user by renaming the version. One would hope that wasn't and never will be the case. If there was no firmware change a hardware fix is implied. Perhaps I should join that forum and ask. I was hoping someone here would've actually sent their camera in for servicing.

I'm glad your FF problem is minor. For me, studio work (bread-n-butter) is never a problem. It's when I have to shoot a concert, dance class, family fun, etc., that the FF issue rears its head. When I was at the Museum of Natural History yesterday with my family I used the DA 15/4 exclusively and relied on Live View to get the great focus I needed. Which is fine because the dioramas aren't running around. It was a good day.

My DA* 50-135/2.8 doesn't exhibit FF which supports reports from the Spaniard that SDM lenses are unaffected. However, my Tamron 28-75/2.8, magnificent and tack-sharp on the K7, is pissy like an unruly child in low light. At any rate, I picked up a used K20 as a backup camera so at least I'll have something to use when sending out the K5.

Cheers,

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
I must admit I fall into the highlighted category, as Im convinced its a firmware issue, ive nothing to base that theory on,

I will wait until the next firmware release , if that doesn't fix the FF, Ill send it in for service, I've already contacted my distributor and made them aware of the situation, they are in the same mind as me ..if that doesn't fix the FF..to be quite honest at this stage I don't really know what I will do..My minor FF is not a hindrance at the moment, but I do want to set up a home studio..it could be a issue then...and I certainly wouldn't want that..quite a bit of soul searching will go on if thats the case

BEWARE..unconfirmed rumour alert .....someone said that a poster on DPR..could be big dave or something like that, had sent his in for service and its fixed , it might be worth a look at that forum to see if that's real or not?...