Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
The topic has been thrashed and thrashed to death. And there has been some unpalatable comments thrown in.
At this time I would suggest that most members are sick to the back teeth of the same things being said over and over.
Got something new and constructive, by all means post.

But at this stage, surely it is time to move on.
As I said in my posts, got a problem? Then get it in to be attended to. Then get on taking photos and posting them here.
OR .sell up and buy into a different brand, and vent your frustrations/anger etc on their Forum.
I took action and exchanged the camera. This was the first time I reported that this newly exchanged camera still has the FF issue.

You could easily ignore this thread if you find it objectionable. I know some would be interested that the problem still persists.

02-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #137
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not for nothing but if you Exchanged the camera (assuming focusing to be one of the first things one would check), why would you think a camera, likely from the same lot, would be any different?

02-03-2011, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The topic has been thrashed and thrashed to death. And there has been some unpalatable comments thrown in.
At this time I would suggest that most members are sick to the back teeth of the same things being said over and over.

As I said in my posts, got a problem? Then get it in to be attended to. Then get on taking photos and posting them here.
OR .sell up and buy into a different brand, and vent your frustrations/anger etc on their Forum.
I feel that there are stages that we go through with each new camera (1) unbelievable expectations (2) irrational exuberance (when it finally arrives) (3) early adopter frustration (4) generalized dissatisfaction (as people who don't have the camera magnify issues) and finally, (5) acceptance. The fifth stage usually comes when the price drops a little bit, early issues are solved and people produce good work with the camera.

I think the base problem is really the magnified expectations and early reports from the camera users at Photokina, as well as Pentax trying to hit a certain deadline, probably before firmware had been fully tested. I do hope that we can keep discussions civil and try to avoid repetitive ranting on either side. Pentax has an obligation to fix things, but they will need some time to do so.
02-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Not for nothing but if you Exchanged the camera (assuming focusing to be one of the first things one would check), why would you think a camera, likely from the same lot, would be any different?

If you're talking to me, I'll be happy to tell you. It is NOT from the same lot. It is from a shipment that was received by B&H on January 31st. In fact, none of the K-5's I've owned were from the same lot. I specifically requested that it not be from the same batch and B&H obliged by supplying me the s/n before it shipped.

One was s/n 386xxxx, one 395xxxx and the latest 398xxxxx.

02-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #140
Inactive Account

Yes, I'm talking to you.. All 3 have the Same FF issue (fast lens, low tungsten light)?

02-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:

The guy just received his 3rd flawed camera. I for one welcome his perspective on the matter.
I am in the midst of a flawed camera as well!!
02-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #142
Veteran Member

I think for many the two major advantages of the k-5 over the K-7 are the improved iso performance and the increased DR. I would assume more so the former than the latter. One of the main reasons for needing this improved iso is for use in low light. GUESS WHAT....many K-5's can't even focus in light that can use this improved iso performance. Pentax has not resolved this major issue yet...In my opinion when many K-5's can't take advantage of the main reason to upgrade over the older model, the affected K-5's are just lemons...many are getting multiple lemons (A spanish poster who owns a Pentax store got more than 100 lemons in a row), how could this be ignored ?....how could ANY amount of complaining be too much???

IMO, Jim and Bruce are acting like Pentax fanboys than moderators. Time to move on? Pentax Japan hasn't even acknowledged this problem yet?

02-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #143

QuoteOriginally posted by Zugzwang Quote
The guy just received his 3rd flawed camera. I for one welcome his perspective on the matter.
I am in the midst of a flawed camera as well!!
Sorry to hear that. Would you like to talk about it? We are here to listen because as you know, misery loves company.
02-03-2011, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #144
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I think for many the two major advantages of the k-5 over the K-7 are the improved iso performance and the increased DR. I would assume more so the former than the latter. One of the main reasons for needing this improved iso is for use in low light. GUESS WHAT....many K-5's can't even focus in light that can use this improved iso performance. Pentax has not resolved this major issue yet...In my opinion when many K-5's can't take advantage of the main reason to upgrade over the older model, the affected K-5's are just lemons...many are getting multiple lemons (A spanish poster who owns a Pentax store got more than 100 lemons in a row), how could this be ignored ?....how could ANY amount of complaining be too much???

IMO, Jim and Bruce are acting like Pentax fanboys than moderators. Time to move on? Pentax Japan hasn't even acknowledged this problem yet?
You just don't get it, do you? You can whine, cry, fuss, and stomp your feet all you want, within reason, about the product and the company. The issue here is a select few posters turning their hostility toward other members. If you want to express your displeasure with Pentax, you are more than welcome to. For those of you who can not do that and still remain civil, and respectful toward other members, perhaps it is time to move on.
As an aside; in my initial post on this matter I mentioned no names, nor did I reference any posts or statements that would indicate to whom my comments were addressed, yet somehow I don't think anyone would have any trouble figuring it out by reading the posts that followed.

I am leaving this thread open on the off chance that some of you actually want to discuss the topic instead of just complaining that you aren't allowed to insult each other.
02-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's a little scuffle anyway?? I say let it fly. Without hostility and animosity, forum such as this would not be as fun. Call it passionate arguments.
02-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You just don't get it, do you? You can whine, cry, fuss, and stomp your feet all you want, within reason, about the product and the company. The issue here is a select few posters turning their hostility toward other members. If you want to express your displeasure with Pentax, you are more than welcome to. For those of you who can not do that and still remain civil, and respectful toward other members, perhaps it is time to move on.
As an aside; in my initial post on this matter I mentioned no names, nor did I reference any posts or statements that would indicate to whom my comments were addressed, yet somehow I don't think anyone would have any trouble figuring it out by reading the posts that followed.

I am leaving this thread open on the off chance that some of you actually want to discuss the topic instead of just complaining that you aren't allowed to insult each other.
You still don't get it, do you?

Saying "If you like the K5, use it. If you don't like it, use something else!" can only mean one thing...those who have problems to just shut-up. Your view on this matter is not balanced.

Of course no one wants personal attacks and that is good and I am not arguing against that. But you targetting only the ones who are having issues with the K-5 IMO is not impartial.
02-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #147
Veteran Member

Might as well close this thread out, too. Imagine a new user discovered a problem, googled it, and ended up here. Look at all the tripe they'd have to wade through.

Members and moderators arguing within a thread? I don't see that stuff going on in the other forum. And before someone tells me good riddance - I'm going to head over there right now and read an informative thread with posted pics and useful information.
02-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Members and moderators arguing within a thread? I don't see that stuff going on in the other forum.
If you're referring to DPR, the moderators NEVER post in a thread, so you can't have a discussion or disagreement with them. They either ban someone, close a thread, delete part of a thread or delete the whole thread. Then you never get an explanation as to what happened or why.
02-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Yes, I'm talking to you.. All 3 have the Same FF issue (fast lens, low tungsten light)?

OK, I wasn't sure as you didn't quote anything to put your post in context

Yes, that's the case. However, the shift was enough that even at f/5.6 the FF was noticeable in actual real life shooting (portraits under studio lighting). In fact, that's the only reason I started looking to the forums to see if this was a known issue. If the focus behaved as my K100DS does I never would have looked any deeper and would have been tickled pink over my new toy.
02-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #150
Veteran Member

All this while when people mention they got FF with their K-5 cameras, there is little or no mention of the lens used when they test. The natural assumption is that the camera is the problem when it could just as well be the lens that could require focus calibration.

I say this because it is a known issue that certain Sigma lenses for example might require focus calibration at close focusing distances. I got friends who used the 30mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.4 prime lenses who had to get their lenses calibrated by the local Sigma service center before they got their lenses focusing accurately. Now these were Canon, Nikon and a Pentax users and the calibration did not involve in-camera AF focus adjustments.

Some lenses, notably zooms could also show a slight focus shift at close distances. The choice of lens also determines the angle of view the focus sensor has to pick up focus. Personally I'd not use a wide angle lens to test focus accuracy. Again this can have a bearing on accuracy of the AF point. I don't usually dabble in AF Fine Adjustment but this is one area where the lens in question should not be discounted. Also at very low light levels and if there isn't enough subject contrast, the accuracy of a camera to hit focus can vary. Now this doesn't negate any FF argument but we have to be mindful that the possibility for focus variance does arise at such threshold.