Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some perspective on the K5 issues plz!

Given that the K5 is basically a K7 with a new sensor and upgraded electronics I am surprised and perplexed at all the issues raised in this forum regarding the K5. Apparently the K7 didn't have all these problems, did it, and yet it is basically the same camera?
I just wonder how serious these issues actually are. I exclude the sensor stain issue from this as that may have been out of Pentax's hands, and has been well documented and resolved.
It seems that every day I look at this site there are new threads with yet another K5 issue. Are people scrutinising the camera too much or is it really that flawed?
Do other brands have these sort of issues?
Just trying to put some perspective on the "hysteria" that seems to be going on!

01-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

The K-5 is the best digital SLR I have had. Responsive, top notch image quality, well functioning shake reduction. The one real issue is/was the sensor stain issue, a manufacturing defect which is solved now.

The K-7 comes very close, though, and I still have a K-7 - I like to carry to bodies so as to reduce the need for changing lenses.
01-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I don't think we can find a definitive answer here since those reporting problems and those that are finding perfection are all over the board. I would love to get an answer to your very reasonable question in the form of a survey where we could count the numbers for ourselves, and not just the comments of those that are spread out in so many different threads.

A simple survey that asks K5 owners a few questions relevant to the complaints being circulated. Forget the stained sensor, it is resolved, or will be shortly. I have friends that report their K5 is near perfect, and friends that are on their 2nd or 3rd K5 due to severe Focus issues.....neither set are known to me as liars, and I respect their reports, but I have no clue as to which group is most representative.

A well written survey could give us a better perspective , and also a clue as to how much attention Pentax should give these problems.

Is there any reason we can't have such a survey that would provide some numbers, such as we saw with the sensor stains survey?

Regards
01-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I don't think we can find a definitive answer here since those reporting problems and those that are finding perfection are all over the board. I would love to get an answer to your very reasonable question in the form of a survey where we could count the numbers for ourselves, and not just the comments of those that are spread out in so many different threads.

A simple survey that asks K5 owners a few questions relevant to the complaints being circulated. Forget the stained sensor, it is resolved, or will be shortly. I have friends that report their K5 is near perfect, and friends that are on their 2nd or 3rd K5 due to severe Focus issues.....neither set are known to me as liars, and I respect their reports, but I have no clue as to which group is most representative.

A well written survey could give us a better perspective , and also a clue as to how much attention Pentax should give these problems.

Is there any reason we can't have such a survey that would provide some numbers, such as we saw with the sensor stains survey?

Regards
+1. I support the survey request.

01-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #5

Every camera ever made will have a certain percent that got by QC. That aside, most of the gripes have been peoples wish list of features on either the K7 or K5. Both bodies seem to be performing within their design, meeting or beating expectations. The K5 improved on the shortfalls of the K7 and the next generation Pentax will improve on the K5.
01-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Just trying to put some perspective on the "hysteria" that seems to be going on!
It's a basic internet rule of thumb that people with issues or complaints will be heavily over-represented. People who don't have an issue with their camera/whatever aren't posting because they aren't aggravated (they're hopefully out taking pics!). The K-5 seems to be a typical representation of this phenomenon - cross referencing forums with more formal review sites is always important. The more formal sites help correct for hyper-critical users and the forums help correct for any anti-Pentax/whatever prejudice at the formal sites :P
01-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

If my K5 had every problem reported on the various forums, I would still buy it. It's a very nice camera.

01-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Given that the K5 is basically a K7 with a new sensor and upgraded electronics
I don't think this is the right way to look at this. I believe there is more new about the K5 than there is carried over from the K7. The form may be the same, but the guts are mostly new and that is where the complex stuff is.
01-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Regards
Yep, there is a reason you can't have it. Assuming that an appropriate survey could be written (and that is a big if), you don't have access to the population of K-5 users. If you limit your survey to people who populate this forum you would have a very skewed sample. Probably most don't participate here. I don't even think we know how many K-5s have been sold. It would not have any statistical significance. And any survey needs to be followed up with an understanding of why people answered questions they way they did. That takes time and persistence. It just couldn't have meaning and be impartial.
01-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
It's a basic internet rule of thumb that people with issues or complaints will be heavily over-represented. People who don't have an issue with their camera/whatever aren't posting because they aren't aggravated (they're hopefully out taking pics!). The K-5 seems to be a typical representation of this phenomenon - cross referencing forums with more formal review sites is always important. The more formal sites help correct for hyper-critical users and the forums help correct for any anti-Pentax/whatever prejudice at the formal sites :P
If we can't trust loyal Pentax users, some of them long time Pentaxians, on a Forum that is almost strictly Pentax for an honest answer then why should we trust those that report no problems? An answer to a survey with a name attached is not generally considered as a blind survey. Most are known here, and if they reported no problem, as many have, you would trust that? Unless there is fear in the result, it could put some better perspective to the degree of this problem and either take away some of the doubts or force Pentax to address the problem.....what is the harm in either one of those outcomes?
Regards

jrforman-I am assuming that the Sensor Stain survey was not indicative of any real problem? I think that to the contrary it was very indicative of a problem and that the percentages were most likely very close to the actual numbers of defective sensors. Was the outcome of that survey productive or non-productive? Effective polls are done with very small samplings, and if you look at the sensor survey, the numbers were adequate to predict the resulting findings.

Last edited by Rupert; 01-26-2011 at 08:30 PM.
01-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've had zero issues with my K-5, for what that's worth.
01-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
Fully agree.
I have K-7 and I don't have any problems within more than half a year of use (more than 10 000 shots)
01-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If my K5 had every problem reported on the various forums, I would still buy it. It's a very nice camera.

yeah but you don't count.... cause if we cut you in half, youd be like a Folkstone stick of Rock...but instead of saying Folkstone right through,,,youd say Pentax..
01-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Given that the K5 is basically a K7 with a new sensor and upgraded electronics I am surprised and perplexed at all the issues raised in this forum regarding the K5. Apparently the K7 didn't have all these problems, did it, and yet it is basically the same camera?
I just wonder how serious these issues actually are. I exclude the sensor stain issue from this as that may have been out of Pentax's hands, and has been well documented and resolved.
It seems that every day I look at this site there are new threads with yet another K5 issue. Are people scrutinising the camera too much or is it really that flawed?
Do other brands have these sort of issues?

Ozy.

mate, Im starting to feel that PF is dominated by people that love a good whinge...apart from the FF at low light...MY K5 does a great Job...your coastal shots will look great with it....

Last edited by Tommot1965; 01-27-2011 at 04:59 AM.
01-27-2011, 02:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
mate, Im starting to feel that PF is dominated but people that love a good whinge...apart from the FF at low light...MY K5 does a great Job...your coastal shots will look great wit
Thanks mate, yep it seems that people like to whinge a bit. Mine should be delivered tomorrow so I'll let you know what I think.