Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is it me, or the K5..guess what..its me !!!

what with all the K5 threads in this forum that are Negative, and showing all its faults...I was staring to think Id never get a good shot with it..and after a recent trip to a Aussie day BBQ picnic...I was convinced that my K5 was a shitty pile of crap...as a load of my shots were blurry ...

I even got home and tried to role back the firmware , as I was convinced that it was the problem

but after my HYSTERIA , cooled down some. I went through each and every image to see if it was the camera, or the nut behind it......Guess wot...it was me....just about every out of focus picture was either due to too shallow DOF or people coming towards me and me not having the AF set to AFC.....as it was set to AFS...by the time Id hit the shutter they had move towards that sensor..to swallow DOF...couldnt mask it.

so I went from returning my K5..to being a happy camper again, once Id realised that its just a box....and its me that needs returning...although me mum dont want me back

Im learning from Mistakes that Im making..not the cameras fault ..Or is it!!! LMAO

heres a shot that make me want to keep this great Camera

Last edited by Tommot1965; 01-27-2011 at 02:42 AM.
01-27-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Olen samaa mieltä. On liikaa nekatiivistä. Ei kehuta K-5, ei tunnusteta omia vikoja. Silti Pentax K-5 on paras kamera.
01-27-2011, 02:45 AM   #3
Forum Member

Wow, I really like that shot! What lens did you use?

Vic.
01-27-2011, 02:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Magnificent Magpie, mate.

01-27-2011, 02:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arbalist Quote
Wow, I really like that shot! What lens did you use?

Vic.

taken with a sigma 70-200mm HSM 11...at 170mm F5.6,,yet another crap piece of equipment, if the forums are too be believed..at F2,8..its weak..at F5.6 is great ..

must admit..Im caught up in Hysteria like most people..I used to think id never get a good shot with this lens ..LMAO..im gonna laern to love my gear. and try and get the best from it..once I know what Im doing

a picture of my old mate ..its crap too....

01-27-2011, 02:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
Magnificent Magpie, mate.
cheers Adrian

a bird that, like the K5 is much maligned.. I love em..full of character, always willing to pose { as they want a feed }...fearless little blokes , ive seen em having a right old battle with Wedge Tail eagles quite a few times .....
01-27-2011, 03:09 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Wow stunning photos - both. I agree about the negativity. Its not always the equipment, its how you use it. I tell my missus that all the time when she wants to trade me in !!!

01-27-2011, 03:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice shots Steve, esp like the maggie!
01-27-2011, 04:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots, but what's wrong with AFS? I always use AFS and no such issues.
01-27-2011, 04:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This happens quite often...many take some faults of the camera and then use that as an excuse for everything that is wrong with it. You are definitely not alone. The shutter blur problem with the K-7 was the cause for all the blurrly shots for a while and then the pearls on the sensor made every dust particle to be misatken for oil. The image you posted is fantastic and I'd say the camera and the photgrpahre are doing just fine.

The K-5 is an excellent camera. This is not to say it doesn't have any faults but it is easily exagerated by some....OTOH, many K-5 owners who are passionate about their purchase don't want to hear any faults with the camera either and take it pretty badly when genuine concerns are raised. So, in this case if the K-5 can't deliver then I am afraid it wouldn't be the fault of the camera ...but, it and the photgrpaher did , but in certain other situations the K-5 would be the cause of the problem and not the photgrapher.
01-27-2011, 04:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Nice shots, but what's wrong with AFS? I always use AFS and no such issues.

not sure if it was a combination of AFS with a oncoming subject, camera shake..or I dunno... I will go to the same spot tomorrow and do a test..to see what went on..
01-27-2011, 04:46 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
Lovely pictures - great catch with the magpie.
I recently purchased a K-x & was also cursing the camera - then I discovered it was operator failure!! Now I am very happy with it.
01-27-2011, 04:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
This happens quite often...many take some faults of the camera and then use that as an excuse for everything that is wrong with it. You are definitely not alone. The shutter blur problem with the K-7 was the cause for all the blurrly shots for a while and then the pearls on the sensor made every dust particle to be misatken for oil. The image you posted is fantastic and I'd say the camera and the photgrpahre are doing just fine.

The K-5 is an excellent camera. This is not to say it doesn't have any faults but it is easily exagerated by some....OTOH, many K-5 owners who are passionate about their purchase don't want to hear any faults with the camera either and take it pretty badly when genuine concerns are raised. So, in this case if the K-5 can't deliver then I am afraid it wouldn't be the fault of the camera ...but, it and the photgrpaher did , but in certain other situations the K-5 would be the cause of the problem and not the photgrapher.

I agree with everything you have said.

The reason I've made this thread is that the Hysteria in the forum at the moment surrounding the K5 has turned silly...it does have a FF problem in low light , it did have the string of pearls problem. both quite serious for any upgrader or new Pentax user also something that has been addressed or is being worked on { according to insider sources} .......... it also has many fine features, and does take a stunning image..something we kinda forget, when obsessing about its very few short comings
01-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Somehow I keep getting the idea that some of you think those with problems, and I think the numbers are worthy of noticing, are unhappy that those that have no problem or are unconcerned with the problem, are somehow the enemy? If you are happy with your K5 or it has no problems, I am personally very happy for you and find it encouraging that there is hope for a repair for the FF issue, as there was for the Sensor Stains. I can't say that I have seen any bashing of Happy users, by those that are unsatisfied, have you? I have seen a lot of taunting by those that are berating users with problems, and I find that distasteful and counterproductive. If you enjoy your K5, don't you want everyone to? When the hole in the bottom of the ship is repaired, even those that never got wet will be the beneficiaries in the long run.
I have a friend that is a long time Pentax user, well skilled, and will soon be on his 3rd K5 due to Focus issues. He is no Basher, gives the K5 very high praise in every respect but the Focus, and in no way has he been disrespectful by reporting his problems, yet he has been treated like a Stepchild and ridiculed without cause. I want you guys to enjoy, shoot all you can, give us your photos and glowing reports, but be mindful of those not so fortunate yet. Is that asking too much?
Best Regards!
01-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #15
Forum Member

The picture of your "old mate" is also very nice!

Vic.