Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #61

This is for Vincechu or any others that have actually used both the K-5 and the D7000. My question is, from a time to lock on focus point only.

How does the K-5 compare to the D7000?

In other words, was the keeper rate better with one or the other camera?

My main interest is studio shooting and outdoor people shoots.

I ask this because I have a K-20D and I'm looking at upgrading to either the K-5 or D7000. I'm not concerned about any of the other differences in the camera's, only the focus question. Is one better than the other and is it a large improvement?

I wouldn't mind hearing from K20D owners that moved to the K5 too. Did you notice a big improvement to the focus speed and correct lock on performance. Thanks

01-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by foots Quote
I wouldn't mind hearing from K20D owners that moved to the K5 too. Did you notice a big improvement to the focus speed and correct lock on performance. Thanks
k5 is faster especially in low light - however one can still feel some moments of hasitation, what actually spoils the fun... my first impression reg af speed and accuracy wasent to much positive (maybe a had exceptional k20) especially when iv discovered ff issue under tungsteen light. I couldnt accept it so iv sent it to pentax service department.... over two months ago and still no solution
01-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Staying around here!!

Well,

It wasn't the k-5 beating out the d70000 in any way but I found a deal on a Bigma which I have been lusting for so i will be staying with Pentax and waiting out a recon k-5 when they come to market this summer (I hope).
01-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foots Quote
I wouldn't mind hearing from K20D owners that moved to the K5 too. Did you notice a big improvement to the focus speed and correct lock on performance
Yes quite a significant improvement but not a deal breaker for me. Bid difference in DR though. So far no blown out highlights and good shadow detail. This was a real weakness with the K20 IMHO. Keeper rate goes way up!

06-18-2011, 07:18 AM - 2 Likes   #65
Forum Member

"Prosumer" Photog Take on Nikon vs. Pentax

I know that I'm reviving a dead thread, but I read this and had to respond.

That's interesting; I switched from a D300 and D7000 with several good Nikon lenses and flashes to Pentax because I was frustrated with quality control issues, the flashes inexplicably crapping out and missing shots (way underexposed) during weddings, and the inconsistent AF performance from both cameras.

Unless I was out in direct sunlight the AF wasn't always accurate. On both bodies, for no obvious reason the AF would occasionally hunt from the lenses' closest focal length to infinity and back repeatedly until I turned the camera off and back on. The ONLY thing that the Nikon AF actually did better than my K5 was lock and follow during fast action like surfing and kiteboarding. Even then, a somewhat decent photographer can nail most shots with a K5... hell I know a guy who takes excellent surfing photos with a D40. That said, in every other situation I have found the K5 to acquire focus more accurately and quickly in the challenging environments that I shoot.

As far as the flash system, yes Nikon offers a more versatile system in terms of remote flashes and multiple channels. However, if you usually use your hotshoe flash on your camera or with one remote, the Pentax flashes come very close to matching the Nikon level of performance and in my experience do it more reliably.

Nikon QC isn't any better then Pentax either. The first examples of both my D50 and D7000 bodies were DOA and had to be exchanged, an SB-600 totally died and had to be replaced under warranty, and an 18-200VR lens filled up with tons of dust in less than 6 months during very pedestrian usage and had to be sent back for cleaning.

The nail in the coffin for Nikon with me was a trip to B&H where I actually held and used a K5. It was love at first sight. The ergonomics aren't even comparable, that's how much better the K5 and K7 look, feel, and handle. I went from *MAYBE* considering a move to Pentax or Canon to listing all of my Nikon gear for sale that week. The D300 had almost comparable build quality to the K5 but the D7000 was a plastic piece of crap, I was very disappointed with the build when I was using it.

I read a lot of these threads where someone piles on about how much better the Nikon AF, flash system, lenses, etc are than Pentax and I begin to wonder how much if any experience they *really* have with Nikons. A lot of it sounds like regurgitating the forum posts that they've read from Nikon fanboys and taken as scripture. Unless you will eventually want to move to a full frame system, use a complex studio flash system with multiple channels, or need ultra-fast 3D AF tracking I don't see any real advantages for Nikon, and I have tons of hands-on experience with both systems.

The only real way to know what you like is to try both. They're all (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus) good systems and can be used to take excellent pictures. Each also has drawbacks. Research them, try them at a place like B&H or via rental, and pick the one that YOU like best. If you like the camera and system, you will almost certainly take amazing photos with it

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
I eventually decided to try the Nikon hype after being anti mainstream and Pentax Fan boy for 4 years

Due to the "issues" with the K5, it's significant price premium, lack of availability etc I bought the Nikon D7000 with the 16-85 VR11 and 70-300 VR11 lenses.

I can see now with just a week of use that the Nikon hype is justified in everyway.

Barring a few niggles and a myriad choices with re UI my Pentaxian days are over.

Too be quite honest I have been blown out of the water with how this dslr just gets it right, especially with the matrix metering

I have used the Pentax kit lens and the 17-50 - the 16-85 slays them

The 70-300 slays the 55-300 too (which I thought was the best consumer 55-300 in the world)

The out of camera jpegs just simply astounded me, complex metering handled easily

No camera is perfect but if you are a a very serious amateur (like me) the D7000 will do it all with ease.
06-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #66
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My findings are the same wrt AF. I shot a wedding and a dinner event where there was a D7k, D700 (wedding only); D90; A700. In fact I've managed to not only look over the photos but to obtain them for reference. The K5 had better focus accuracy (less oof shots) and ISO performance in both cases.

TTL aside, Nikon flash system is better only when one can afford the many costly Nikon strobes to be used in its wireless system.
06-19-2011, 02:58 AM   #67
Veteran Member

the k5 is built like a d3...the d7000 is three years behind in building.

flash?
never hd any problem using metz58 and now pentax flash. but nikon flash systme is better for sure, the cls is great.
af in k5 is not at all so slouch as somebody tells here.

sr in body is superb, works with every lens out there. diminishing it is simply an hint that the opinion of the guys is simply biased. i shoot a sigma 8-.16 now at more than a second handhold. if sr isuseless why nikon add it on all lenses making them so expensive?

nikon glass are bigger and expensive. ok some of them are superb, but pentax glass are second to none. less resolution in some case but special rendering and in my opinion superior colors to nikon, and this is due mostly to the superb smc coating of pentax. If you shoot apsc you must use ff bigger glass. yes you have the chanche to go full frame. but personally with this superb apsc sensor, full frame is to a big format for everyday use.

some feature of k5 are simple superb. one for all. the alignmetn of images using sensor shift.

in addition pentax has diminished a lot the gap in the last 5 years. is working and probably in the next 2 years we ll see a lot ofimprovement in flasgh and af.

in my opinion you must ask what you shoot. and don't listen the bull...it of pentax a is slouch, apart pro sport and wildlife pentax af is good for evertything.
a pentax k5 and 5 pancakes and a little flash, and you have superb iq and a little bag, with the d7000 you still need a big bag.
06-19-2011, 03:16 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I use a nikon D3s and a D200, I also shoot with a Canon 1DsMkIII and a Canon 1D MKIIn and in addition to this I have my leica digital rangefinder and my pentax DSLR cameras.

When I'm going out in the city, I like to have a small - compact but very capable camera in my hands, and nearly always it is the K-7 I put in my bag. I reserve the leica for those times when I know i'm going to run into some really-really low light, or need their stealth shutter mechanism.

But the pentax cameras are small, have ergonomics that are similar to Nikon, though unlike Nikon pentax has had far more experience making small cameras. In the film days if you had ever compared a Nikon F4 Vs the Pentax LX your choice would have been much simpler.

choose Nikon or Pentax they both do very well, Pentax does not have a large lens selection like Nikon does but I never understood why beginners were turned on by that. Pentax does have one advantage over Nikon as far as I see, Unique lenses: the SMCP-FA 31mm f/1.8 AL limited has no superiors when it comes to image quality. There are also some very interesting lenses from the film era that can be used, Nikon has this same ability but as i understand it on entry level models using older lenses is next to impossible.

in my opinion most of the people who choose nikon and praise their af or flash system. do it only for having read these and for psycological assurance they use nikon that is considered the best system. ii keep watching the gallery of this people, and don't see anything moving, or moving so fast that need the best af, i don't see any difficult lighting that needs the best flash system, i see a lot of snapshots, with poor color and rendition, poor composition and boring subject. then i read their praising of af flash system metering, and thats make me smile. those people should begin with manual camera, probably they would focus more in what really counts, subject composition etc, than having a camera that do everything auomatically.
i respect nikon a lot, and in fact i would choose a d3 if i worked 100% in news or pj, and maybe i'll add also one in the future, but id like to see people justifies with images their word.

06-19-2011, 03:22 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by muratm Quote
for me ergonomy is not directly related its button placement... (in this aspect K-5 is much better I agree)
for me holding the camera and the comfortable feeling that you get, comes first when you speak about ergonomy...
D7000 and similarly D90 has more depth for sure... compare to K-5
numbers can't lie:
D7000
132 x 105 x 77 mm / 780 g
K-5
131 x 97 x 73 mm / 740 g

there 105 vs 97 means when you can grasp the camera your palm is open 1 cm more.. if you open your hand wider than it means your palm touches the side of camera and your fingers has more flexibility to move... as much as you close your hand like the case with K-5, your fingers are stay longer for the aperture and shutter wheels anymore.. and you need to make bigger movements with your index/fore finger...

much more ergonomic models had more depth like:
7D --> 148 x 111 x 74 mm
D300s --> 147 x 114 x 74 mm (one of the best)

this is no doubt, whoever tells K-5 is more ergonimic than D7000 does not value to me at all... unless he or she has below average tiny hands...

hope i am clear..

kind regards,
its clear you dont' have never tried the k5. and especially k5 with a grip.
i have big hand and it fits like a glove. the space between grip and lens mount is perfect and add the depth of grip you can put your hands perfectly there. the d7000 has a worst grip, is more rounded, the k5 is more rectangular more cut compared to d7000, and most of all the real difference is the distance between the end of grip and the rest of the body. k5 , the limited mode even more, is really depth you can grab it easily.

personally it's not so difficult to understand the superiority of pentax design. 1 cm of depth doesnt mena nothing. look how the grip goes further the flash in k5, look the grip with a perfect place for the finger, the nikon looks a desiogn of 20 century ago compared to pentax. and i leave apart the building. 3 class of difference at least.

Last edited by jonny1986; 06-19-2011 at 03:29 AM.
06-19-2011, 04:36 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
the k5 is built like a d3...the d7000 is three years behind in building.

flash?
never hd any problem using metz58 and now pentax flash. but nikon flash systme is better for sure, the cls is great.
af in k5 is not at all so slouch as somebody tells here.

sr in body is superb, works with every lens out there. diminishing it is simply an hint that the opinion of the guys is simply biased. i shoot a sigma 8-.16 now at more than a second handhold. if sr isuseless why nikon add it on all lenses making them so expensive?

nikon glass are bigger and expensive. ok some of them are superb, but pentax glass are second to none. less resolution in some case but special rendering and in my opinion superior colors to nikon, and this is due mostly to the superb smc coating of pentax. If you shoot apsc you must use ff bigger glass. yes you have the chanche to go full frame. but personally with this superb apsc sensor, full frame is to a big format for everyday use.

some feature of k5 are simple superb. one for all. the alignmetn of images using sensor shift.

in addition pentax has diminished a lot the gap in the last 5 years. is working and probably in the next 2 years we ll see a lot ofimprovement in flasgh and af.

in my opinion you must ask what you shoot. and don't listen the bull...it of pentax a is slouch, apart pro sport and wildlife pentax af is good for evertything.
a pentax k5 and 5 pancakes and a little flash, and you have superb iq and a little bag, with the d7000 you still need a big bag.
LMAO...your joking??...why is a FF sensor too big for everyday use..??
06-19-2011, 04:58 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
LMAO...your joking??...why is a FF sensor too big for everyday use..??
i mean a ff camera. but that's my taste. i prefer more unobtrusive gear. but again, there are people who like stroll around big camera for feeding their ego, and then producing junk.
i like nikon gear, but in my opinion 50 % of amateur who buy a nikon whould have been served better with a pentax brand.
06-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not a brand fanboy and have shot with both systems - the Nikon I found was more accurate in flash exposure when it came to shooting from the hip so to speak

Shots like this are as easy as pie with the the D7000 and the 70-300 consumer lens, 300mm wide open at ISO 3200 1/50sec - only the dinky on board flash was used - every shot at this event was perfectly exposed

06-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #73
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Dylan, the on-board flash is easy to get exposures right. The K-5 has no problems in this regard. It's the bounced flash exposures that give a P-TTL system a hard time and a bad rap. This is where Nikon's iTTL technology (and even Canon's eTTL) has been significantly more reliable.
06-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #74
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Dylan, the on-board flash is easy to get exposures right. The K-5 has no problems in this regard. It's the bounced flash exposures that give a P-TTL system a hard time and a bad rap. This is where Nikon's iTTL technology (and even Canon's eTTL) has been significantly more reliable.
FWIW, I haven't had issues bouncing my AF540.
06-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #75
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've had a K10D and a K7. Currently, I am using a D700 and a D300s (which is currently for sale here in the marketplace). I had a hard time with the K7 shooting handheld between 1/60 th and 1/125. Even with the in-body stabilization and using the limited primes, it was hard to get non-blurry shots. The K7 with the 55-300 and the 50-135mm did not balance well for me handheld. What I find with the Nikons is that the larger body size provides more stability and I have been getting good results even with unstabilized lenses. I tried the D7000 before getting the D300s. Pentax's K7 and K5 have it all over the D7000 when it comes to build quality and button placement. I am selling my D300s because I miss the limited primes. I plan to make Pentax my cropped body. I figure the better ISO performance that appears to be possible with the K5 would help with the blurr issue. I am going to pass on the K5 for now though. For me stains, shutters running amuck, lens mount buttons falling off, FF and flash issues along with outright freezes are just too many QC issues for one camera for me. I will save my money and see whether the successor to the K5 has fewer glitches. I want to shoot Pentax because I love the Pentax colors and the limited primes. Ergonomically, for me, the D700 and D300s are both more comfortable than the K7 type body with a grip, so I will keep my D700 for my 24-120mm, 70-300mm and 105mm macro. Nikon does make decent primes (the 50mm f/1.4 G and the 24mm f/2.8 D primes are a pleasure to work with). I think mostly that it isn't necessary to be a fanboy (fangirl?) for any brand of camera. Some are better for some things and some are better for others. I don't think this forum needs to be hostile to users of other brands. To me, Pentax is about the art of photography, while Nikon is about reliability and productivity. It is not to say that Pentax is not. It is just a matter of finding out what works best for you. I am more interested in hearing forum members who run more than one system, talk about the pros and cons of specific bodies for the work (or pleasure) they are used for. I will say that Pentax Forums is the best designed forum I have come across, bar none. The Nikonians need to learn that less is more when putting together a home page lol. The design of this forum i.e. the equipment databases, camera specific forums and the market place are just light years ahead of them and Fredmiranda, as far as I'm concerned :-)