Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax vs. Nikon Questions

First off...great community! I've read a ton of posts here and this site is fantastic!

Now to the questions...

I'm at a crossroad of which direction to go regarding the Pentax and Nikon systems. I've tested the D7000 out on multiple occasions and like Nikon's lense selection. I also like their flashes. I haven't seen, let alone handled, a K-5 as I haven't found one in the area. The K-5 and Pentax lenses are the rogue factor in this purchase decision. I have had great experience with their astro EP's, so I suspect their DSLR and lenses are of equally high quality.

Without any prior handling/usage of any Pentax DSLR, I'm leery about diving into a Pentax system. The Nikon is obviously well established in the DSLR market and have a significant amount of support, lenses, flashes, etc. However, the features, ergonomics, build quality. weather resistance, and all of the great primes I've read about really put the Pentax on the top of my list.

With that said...any experiences anyone would like to share who have also been down this decision path? Any regrets or buyers remorse for either? Does anyone feel hampered by having less lenses, support, etc. with Pentax? How about the flash systems?

Caveat - I've read about problems with both bodies. It seems like a wash. I also have no future ambitions for any of the high end telephoto lenses.

Thanks in advance!
Joe

01-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hold a K-5 and you'll know :P The d7000's ergo is crap compared to it.
01-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome! :-)

Here is a thread you might find relevant: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/127824-month-d7000.html.
01-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I like my K-5. Ergonomic is only one point and morphology will make you like handling of one versus another. This is a personal choice

The K-5 vs the Nikon . Pentax have to give everything as they do not have a higher end model. On the other end Nikon want you to dream about the next level of DSLR, they do not put all functions in the ğD7000. But D7000 seem to be a very very good camara also

01-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You definitely shouldn't decide without trying one. Maybe you can rent a body + lens for a few days?
01-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That's been the crux of the matter. I haven't been able to find a K-5 (or even a K-7) locally to take for a spin.
01-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either camera.

This said, since you're not big on long telephoto lenses (where Nikon has more options), I think Pentax has an overall lens advantage in that it has a more complete made for Aps-c lens lineup.

The Nikon flash system advantage may more may not be a big deal to you depending on how plan on using your flash. If you're just talking general usage I'm not sure if the difference is that great. If you plan on going all multiflash Joe McNally on a shoot, Nikon would probably be the better option.

I'm not too bothered by the small brand disadvantages of Pentax versus Nikon (less places to try, harder to find places for rent/repair) Then again, I've never used a bigger brand so in many cases I don't know what I'm missing.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't switch to Nikon from Pentax unless I was going full frame.

01-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

As a long-time Nikon user who came back to Pentax because of K5... I'd say the only things Pentax has to offer over D7000, is the small size of lenses (LTD primes) and... to some extend... SR.... the rest makes you dream about Nikon...

For the WR-hysteria-club members, yes I know that Pentax also has WR to offer... but it only applies to a very small selection of lenses...
01-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
As a long-time Nikon user who came back to Pentax because of K5... I'd say the only things Pentax has to offer over D7000, is the small size of lenses (LTD primes) and... to some extend... SR.... the rest makes you dream about Nikon...

For the WR-hysteria-club members, yes I know that Pentax also has WR to offer... but it only applies to a very small selection of lenses...
Return your K-5, get a Nikon and your dreams will be real!!! Move on...
01-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by betaPhoto Quote
Return your K-5, get a Nikon and your dreams will be real!!! Move on...
You have no idea how tempted I am, given that my K5 is still in service with the stained sensor issue... So far I'm just blown away by the experience i'm having... Somebody is due for a reality check....
01-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Back to that old chestnut .... what do you shoot, what do you want to shoot ? Where do you see your photography going ? Do you want/ enjoy / may get into legacy glass. Answer these questions and we'll be able to give you proper answers.

Personally I'd say don't try the K7 and then compare it to the D7000, compare the Nikon only to the K5. I have both (K5&K7) but you can't compare them equally against the D7000. The K5 is truly a fantastic camera ...... for me.
01-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #12
Forum Member

Hi there, a perfect question for me to answer.

I had a D7000 for a week over Xmas, but returned it and ordered a K5 because:

1. D7000 ergonomics not as good as the K5, which feels really comfy IMO
2. Pentax's lens collection appeals to ME more because they're generally cheaper than nikon equivs, and they're lighter - I have a major lens buying addiction for all the limited lenses!
3. Build quality - Weatherproofing + full metal body - probably not essential but a nice to know its there in case set of features. The D7000s batter door was pretty flimsy
4. Pentax Colours IMO are nicer, the D7000 was pretty yellow (skin tone wise)
5. In body image stabilisation - which is great for lowlight, my 31mm 1.8 is stabilised!

But what I do miss is the D7000 39 point af system, and the fact u can turn the top LCD panel light on using the power button. The D7000 is also cheaper to buy, though nikon lenses are pretty pricey.

I'd have to say Pentax does have a very good range of lenses, and all made for APS-C (DX) sensor size, whereas if you want the best from nikon, they tend to be much more pricier and much larger.

Flash systems, I dont have any experience with sorry.

Either way both cameras are amazing, you really need to try the K5 to see if its for you, some people like the ergonomics like me, some people find it too small.

Hope that helped, but these are just my thoughts, if you have a question about D7000 v K5 dont hesitate to ask as I've used both
01-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If you go for the Nikon "D" series lenses versus the "G", they are actually cheaper than most Pentax lenses, brand new or in the used market.

I find from 12 to 300mm focal lengths, I think the offerings from either Pentax or Nikon are more than sufficient. Above 300mm, Pentax does not have anything in production and you would have to go with 3rd parties like Sigma. Nikon offers lenses above 300mm, but they are super expensive. Most people I know just rent them.

Pentax has a beautiful and unique lineup of primes with their limited series, but they can be pricey even for used copies. Nikon has a more traditional line of primes that I feel are more accessible and cheaper.

It all depends on what you're looking to do with photography, just like Frog said. If you want to test drive a K-5, I suggest just buying it outright from Amazon, and then return it if you don't like it. Their return policy is pretty lenient and they pay or reimburse you for the return shipping.
01-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
Banned

Photos: Gallery
1) If you want long telelenses then Nikon the way to go.

2) If you want state of the art flash system, then Nikon is the way to go.

3) If you want an almost perfect AF system then Nikon is the way to go.

So if the numbers 1 to 3 are of your interest or are even a musthave, then the D7000 is not your way to go. Invest is a more expencive and advanced system of Nikon.

So I think that for a small budget, say under $ 4.000 you can get a lot with Pentax and the K-5.
01-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
what do you mean by 'the rest'? can you elaborate?