Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
what do you mean by 'the rest'? can you elaborate?
AF-speed and precision, flash, overall usability and dependability, etc.... basic stuff...

01-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When i have buy my K(, i asked me that question :
What a K5 can do than a D7000 can't & vice-versa.

My conclusions :

What a K5 can do/ have than a D7000 can't/haven't :
  • Shooting sessions outside with hard weather conditions, -20° C; rain, snow, you can take your camera out. I think than with a D7000, you will be more paranoid with these conditions !
  • Better ergonomics, but that's a personnal statement.
  • Build like a tank
  • 80 iso mode ! & Higher iso
  • vintage lens compatibility (that's the best idea than Pentax have)
  • color rendition, personnal statement again

What a D7000 can do/have than a K5 can't/haven't :
  • Fast predictive AF,. For sport and fast action shooting, Nikon AF is the best.
  • Better lens line-up : Pentax needs more good tele zoom !
  • Third-party stuff & equipment : More choice for Nikon.
  • Video mode : i hope than Pentax will include manual controls for videos in a future firmware.
  • X-sync & better flash system

The list is not closed, there is surely many more arguments to add, but they are for me the very basics differences between K5 &D7000.

Last edited by Couscousdelight; 01-27-2011 at 12:05 PM.
01-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #18
Inactive Account

If given the question today I wouldn't hesitate to choose Nikon again. I switched from Pentax (multi K-7's and K10's) to Nikon several months ago.

AF, flash, availability of gear (locally) are head and shoulders above Pentax. They aren't even in the same league.

Pentax make great boutique cameras and wonderful lenses, but not everyone needs WR, and SR is truthfully a bit of a farce in the field IMO (the handful of shots that I might have missed because I don't have SR in my Nikon's is vastly outnumbered by number of in focus shots I've gotten because of the accuracy of the AF and tracking ability in my Nikon's).

Both are great choices though and are really for different types of users. Only you can decide what/which is best for you and your needs.

c[_]
01-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
When i have buy my K(, i asked me that question :
What a K5 can do than a D7000 can't & vice-versa.

My conclusions :

What a D7000 can do/have than a K5 can't/haven't :
  • Fast predictive AF,. For sport and fast action shooting, Nikon AF is the best.
  • Video mode : i hope than Pentax will include manual controls for videos in a future firmware.
Unless you have tried both the K5 & D7000 I don't think you can say the AF is faster - going from the K7 to the K5 I have found the K5 AF to be amazing.

There is a hack (here on PF I think) to use manual controls in video on the K5.

01-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the biggest thing is, rather than thinking about individual bodies, to sit down and think about a system. What lenses, flashes you would be interested in buying down the road. Is weather sealing important? Telephotos? Wide angles? Fast primes? Small primes?

Basically, I think Pentax's niche is in small, sturdy cameras with matching primes. Nikon cameras tend to get pretty big as you move up. At the same time, there are many people who don't mind carrying a huge camera and lens, if they get better performance. The D7000 and K5 both have strengths and weaknesses, but I don't think it would be wise to choose a system for either camera, but rather, best to decide which system fits you best and then go with the body that matches that choice.
01-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rent a K5 bodyfrom cameralensrental.com, if you can't find one locally. While features and needs are essential to think about, I agree with those that say you should try before you buy. And you can....
01-28-2011, 03:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I eventually decided to try the Nikon hype after being anti mainstream and Pentax Fan boy for 4 years

Due to the "issues" with the K5, it's significant price premium, lack of availability etc I bought the Nikon D7000 with the 16-85 VR11 and 70-300 VR11 lenses.

I can see now with just a week of use that the Nikon hype is justified in everyway.

Barring a few niggles and a myriad choices with re UI my Pentaxian days are over.

Too be quite honest I have been blown out of the water with how this dslr just gets it right, especially with the matrix metering

I have used the Pentax kit lens and the 17-50 - the 16-85 slays them

The 70-300 slays the 55-300 too (which I thought was the best consumer 55-300 in the world)

The out of camera jpegs just simply astounded me, complex metering handled easily

No camera is perfect but if you are a a very serious amateur (like me) the D7000 will do it all with ease.

01-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
I eventually decided to try the Nikon hype after being anti mainstream and Pentax Fan boy for 4 years

Due to the "issues" with the K5, it's significant price premium, lack of availability etc I bought the Nikon D7000 with the 16-85 VR11 and 70-300 VR11 lenses.

I can see now with just a week of use that the Nikon hype is justified in everyway.

Barring a few niggles and a myriad choices with re UI my Pentaxian days are over.

Too be quite honest I have been blown out of the water with how this dslr just gets it right, especially with the matrix metering

The 70-300 slays the 55-300 too (which I thought was the best consumer 55-300 in the world)

The out of camera jpegs just simply astounded me, complex metering handled easily

No camera is perfect but if you are a a very serious amateur (like me) the D7000 will do it all with ease.

Add a SB700 flash to your arsenal and WATCH OUT!!! Imagine never having to think about the complexities of flash EVER again. Attach and shoot and perfect exposure on, or off camera. It's AMAZING.

c[_]
01-29-2011, 01:37 AM   #24
Inactive Account

On mukava, kun Nikon fanit pystyvät käyttään Pentaxforum. Voivat arvostella K-5 ja hehkuttaa samalla Nikon.
01-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #25
Banned

Congratulations. It's a pitty that you never owned a D80 because then you would feel different about Nikon
01-29-2011, 04:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Add a SB700 flash to your arsenal and WATCH OUT!!! Imagine never having to think about the complexities of flash EVER again. Attach and shoot and perfect exposure on, or off camera. It's AMAZING.

c[_]

why are you two still on a pentax forum?...to rub others noses in the crap equipment we use here??...Im amazed, you have bought into another system, but yet like a pair of profits for the new messiah , your trying to convert the Pentax Heathens at PF...LMAO..time to move on brothers..go tell the Nikon knights that you have seen the light and they will welcome you open armed....

coffee...its even sadder that you have even changed your sig to all Nikon gear....why !!!..

to the OP

the K5 build shits on a D7000, Ive used both and for a part time Photogeek..both will do a stellar job..Pentax to me felt better in the hand
01-29-2011, 04:05 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Show us your best pitures that taken with your Nikon 16-85 and 70-300 just to prove your words .
01-29-2011, 04:37 AM   #28
Veteran Member

The way i look at it, both the D7000 and K-5 are darn fine cameras, no? just go with what your heart tells you to

sometimes i thought to myself i wanted to go nikon too as there seem to be much more lenses and stuff u can buy to equip yourself....but then again, do you need all those lenses? i would say go with whatever system that u think will bring out the best photographic talent in you.
01-29-2011, 05:02 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote

sometimes i thought to myself i wanted to go nikon too as there seem to be much more lenses and stuff u can buy to equip yourself....but then again, do you need all those lenses? .
Hell. I still think it, and I might , if Nikon bring out a Body to equal the K5,{ for the money}.. the D7000 in the hand is just not up to the task....it might take very good pictures, but for me , that's not all there is to this pursuit...plus the K5 is very much the equal of the D7000 in the picture taking area, but beats it elsewhere

I know one thing..if I ever do go Nikon, Ill never come here and and tell everyone what a mistake My pentax experience was..I actually find it quite disrespectful on a pentax forum...on DPR, or any other general site ..no problem ...just not here
01-29-2011, 05:06 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Well, personally if i ever switch system, i will tell myself and others that i learn photography on a pentax system and it will always remain a special place in my heart, albeit all the shortcomings and stuff. Not a fanboy talking here though