Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Jokainen käytää sitä mikä on itselle paras. Toiset ajaa Ladalla ja toiset Mercedes-Benz. iPentax K-5 on ihan sopiva minun käyttöön.

01-29-2011, 05:24 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
I eventually decided to try the Nikon hype after being anti mainstream and Pentax Fan boy for 4 years

Due to the "issues" with the K5, it's significant price premium, lack of availability etc I bought the Nikon D7000 with the 16-85 VR11 and 70-300 VR11 lenses.

I can see now with just a week of use that the Nikon hype is justified in everyway.

Barring a few niggles and a myriad choices with re UI my Pentaxian days are over.

Too be quite honest I have been blown out of the water with how this dslr just gets it right, especially with the matrix metering

I have used the Pentax kit lens and the 17-50 - the 16-85 slays them

The 70-300 slays the 55-300 too (which I thought was the best consumer 55-300 in the world)

The out of camera jpegs just simply astounded me, complex metering handled easily

No camera is perfect but if you are a a very serious amateur (like me) the D7000 will do it all with ease.
I thought you were shooting with a 7D?

The "price difference" between the two cameras has significantly lessened in most parts of the world. You bring this up every time you talk about Pentax, but you need to understand that in Europe and even in North America, the price difference between the D7000 and the K5 has shrunk significantly. I wouldn't shoot Pentax in South Africa either, or at least I would import my own cameras, but unless the OP lives in South Africa, these comments are useless.

As far as the other comments, you are comparing the D7000 to your old K10D, which, while a nice camera in its day, is shot down by any camera out there now. DP Review looked at both the D7000 and the K5 and felt the opposite of you, ranking the K5 higher. In particular, the RAW buffer of the K5 is three times the size of the D7000. I also think that it is a nice benefit of Pentax that you don't have to sell a kidney to get a weather sealed lens.

As I said above, the most important thing is to figure out where you are going with photography. Pentax offers a pretty good selection of lenses and accessories, but if there is something special that you want, it may be lacking, particularly with regard to longer glass. I have been shooting with Pentax for over 10 years and am very satisfied, but I probably would be with Nikon too, although I think I would be bothered by the high price of some of their lenses.
01-29-2011, 05:40 AM   #33
Forum Member

I have a k-x and a fair number of lenses, including a few limiteds. I tried a K5 over the holidays and Was impressed with the feature upgrades, viewfinder, silent shutter (and the focus points which I now sorely miss). The sensor had a couple of stains (not surprising, it was an older open box model from Amazon) but, perhaps
More importantly, the low-light FF problem was pretty obvious. It went back. I miss it, but I won't buy another one until these issues are fixed - if they ever? So I have been looking at the D7000 and am tempted. I also considered a K7 but the low-light performance is supposed to be worse than the K-x. I find it a bit disappointing and concerning that a company would have such serious issues with their flagship model (k5). It gives me pause about what to expect In the future from Pentax.
01-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #34
Inactive Account

Jottei tule väärää luuloa, itse en ottaisi nikonia tai canonia ikinä enään. Täytyy tunnustaa on minullakin joskus ollut sellaset, nutta päädyin parenpaan. Pentax on hyvä ja aina seuraavat mallit on parenpia, kun edelliset. Pentax kehittyy paremmaksi, niin kun muutkin asiat.

01-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Everything Nikon is very expensive. That's the main reason I switched back to Pentax. Their stuff is much larger too. They don't offer the small gem-like primes that Pentax does. There is nothing in the Nikon world like the FA limiteds. Yes their flash and af systems are the best you can find, but for some people, those things are just not ultra important.
01-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #36

After using my friend's D700 (seven hundred, not a typo) + top of the line lenses for the past few days I'm confident to say, if Pentax upgrades their autofocus system to modern level they'll create the best aps-c sized camera for the price. Pentax sweeps the floors with Nikon in usability, ergonomics and build quality for the price. After comparing images taken with high ISO the k5 has nothing to shame in that compartment.

I just love everything else but the AF on the K-5, but that is enough for me to get a 2nd system.
01-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #37
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honestly, if I had a Nikon or Canon, I would most likely be happy with either one....we just tend to get that way.
For the last year or so I have considered a Nikon D700, and not being able to handle two systems, it would mean selling off my Pentax gear. So I made a list of Pros/Cons for my particular shooting style and needs and looked it over very carefully. The K5 (without any problems) was the winner by a pretty good margin......and it was less expensive by far. Now I know that we are all different and have different needs, but the features on the K5 are more important to me than the few items I might gain with the D700. The D7000....it didn't even compare well enough to consider. Not that it is a "bad camera" it isn't, but to start, no SR is cheating Nikon users in my opinion. I also like the Shooting Modes of Pentax, they are very useful to me...I live in SV for fast changing light.

Just make a list and compare side by side. Go with what works best for you....we sometimes forget that we are shooting for our benefit, not for Pentax or Nikon or Canon. You need to enjoy what you use.
Regards & Good Luck!

01-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #38
Veteran Member

please talk me out of this kit!! I am having trouble not being totally bummed with the k-5 QC issues.

Amazon.com: Used and New: D7000 DX-Format Digital SLR Camera Two-Lens VR Outfit (18-105 AF DX & 70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6G)

It is the D7000 with their 18-105 VR and 70-300 VR lenses.

If I sold my DA 55-300 the prices are a wash and I would have my k10d with 18-55WR for rainy days and boating/fishing snap shots
01-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Nomad Quote
please talk me out of this kit!! I am having trouble not being totally bummed with the k-5 QC issues.

Amazon.com: Used and New: D7000 DX-Format Digital SLR Camera Two-Lens VR Outfit (18-105 AF DX & 70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6G)

If I sold my DA 55-300 the prices are a wash and I would have my k10d with 18-55WR for rainy days and boating/fishing snap shots
From what I gather about the 18-105, the IQ would not cut it for me. I've never used it to be certain, but it's what I've inferred. Maybe the 16-85 would be sharper??

Also, are you prepared to accept the different color rendition of the Nikon?
01-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Sounds like a deal! Don't know about the 18-105 IQ, but you would have the use of two stabilized lenses.
Lets put that on my list......

Nikon.........................................................Pentax
(2) Stabilized lenses.................................(24) Stabilized Lenses from SR
(?) more available....at a hefty price!........(Millions more available) At all prices!

Golly, for me, that didn't work out all that well. Sounded good.....at first.
Best Regards!
01-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You would have two consumer zooms with a pretty decent camera. The reality is that either the D7000 or the K5 is going to focus circles around your current K10. However, maybe instead of moving up camera bodies, you need to think about adding some upper end glass? Anyway, traditionally, you are to get glass before bodies...
01-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Mate
if the QC of the K5 is putting you off..check out a few Nikon forums and ask about FF, and over exposure metering...they aint without their issues....I know as I looked into buying one ....but thought Id check out their problems before dipping my toe .

as for QC on the K5....sensor Stains have been addressed, and we have a FF problem waiting for a fix....not IMHO a deal breaker either...

go to a store..try a D7000...if you like it over a K5..then buy it...if like me ,you feel its cheaply made and the controls are not intuitive, then leave it on the shelve .

the zooms in that Kit are nothing to write home about, they give you good FL range ..but thats it ..
01-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #43

Photos: Albums
As I am pro-freedom of speech I would suggest nonsense like this thread to be directly moved into some king of trash folder where Nikon fans can freely ramble

ts - ts - ts...
01-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #44
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
why are you two still on a pentax forum?...to rub others noses in the crap equipment we use here??...Im amazed, you have bought into another system, but yet like a pair of profits for the new messiah , your trying to convert the Pentax Heathens at PF...LMAO..time to move on brothers..go tell the Nikon knights that you have seen the light and they will welcome you open armed....

coffee...its even sadder that you have even changed your sig to all Nikon gear....why !!!..

to the OP

the K5 build shits on a D7000, Ive used both and for a part time Photogeek..both will do a stellar job..Pentax to me felt better in the hand
I've been a respected member of this forum for several years now, build a business using Pentax gear, and now stay in contact with friends on this forum on the "Off Camera Brand" section. I'm sorry to hear that my Nikon presence ruffles your feathers, but it won't be changing.

This specific post was about Pentax vrs Nikon. My thoughts are more than applicable.

Don't like my comments, then feel free to ignore them, or better yet - discuss them. Slinging mud just makes you look silly.

c[_]
01-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Thanks for the civil input gents.

I do understand that I would not be upgrading lenses but right now I am not exactly setting the world on fire with my glass collection (except for the 10-20).
I just picked up the 18-55WR which seems to review equally against the 18-105.
I have the 55-300 which I love but the 70-300 seems to stack up well.
I really want the better high ISO output of the k-5 that I have seen here as well as the huge increase in the DR.

The real catch is the sensor stain and FF issue which have not yet been fixed because I have asked that retailers inspect for stains before shipment and they will not and the FF is still an open issue.

The other difference that interests me is the focus accuracy and speed between the D7k and the k-5. Has anyone tried both with action such as skiers or snowboarders or football?

I also see on some reviews that the Nikon is WR but other review sites state that it is not.

I really am looking for help in making the right choice moving forward.....look on the bright side, if I change systems there will be less competition for legacy glass as well as a few more lenses going into the marketplace.