Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't qualify myself as an expert with the Pentax system but as a current Canon DSLR user i can safely say, it's a lot easier walking about with a Pentax bag versus a Canon bag...body+ grip and 3 lenses plus assorted necessary accessories, that alone has me considering just a second bag for travelling with Pentax gear.
They may not have the best/extensive "modern" lens line-up but how many do you actually need for a daily walk-about? I have come to appreciate their "legacy" primes, something you should look at right here in the lens reviews/clubs sub-forums most with members samples.

Welcome to the forums, it's a great place for info regardless of brand.

07-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It will all depend on your shooting style and what you like to photograph.

In all honestly even the most simplistic dslr will allow you to take great pics.

It was actually this forum that swayed me to Nikon - how come?

Well look at the problem threads as a ratio to stoked threads within this K5 forum;-)

I finally just wasn't willing to take the risk to lay down money on the K5.
07-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #108
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't want this to seem like a rebuttal to the previous post, however the forum os naturally going to feature the problems and not the praise of Pentax gear. Such is our nature to complain about faults, sometimes real, mostly perceived. Anyway, the K-5 is not without its little idiosyncracies, which some users (such as myself) have found it easy to live with and enjoy shooting with it, and others don't. The best advice is to test drive it yourself if you can and see what attributes you desire in a camera and its lens system.
07-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
It will all depend on your shooting style and what you like to photograph.

In all honestly even the most simplistic dslr will allow you to take great pics.

It was actually this forum that swayed me to Nikon - how come?

Well look at the problem threads as a ratio to stoked threads within this K5 forum;-)

I finally just wasn't willing to take the risk to lay down money on the K5.
Your loss. And I mean that most sincerely folks !

The Nikon forums are full of their own problems (esp. the D7000) - did you read them too ?

Last edited by Frogfish; 07-11-2011 at 01:47 PM.
07-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mdbrown Quote
As for the right here and now, I wonder how committed Pentax is to the DSLR market. Both Canon and Nikon have a much more complete lineup of bodies and features. Nikon in particular has nothing else to focus on while Pentax has a very lucrative medical imaging business and now a very nice medium format digital camera. Not sure why but Canon has never interested me at all. I suppose one day I may settle either on Pentax or Nikon...
Pentax has nothing else to focus on (ha ha) than DSLR (and P&S). Ricoh's acquisition of Pentax does not include the medical entity. Frankly, since 2006, Pentax has at times been innovative or "different". They've fallen behind and surged ahead. They've introduced relatively low-cost WR. Just because Pentax maintains only 2 or 3 bodies at a time doesn't mean they aren't committed. They are a small player, like Subaru in the car market.

Nikon is more than just cameras & camera lenses, BTW. The make medical imaging equipment, too. In fact, I would hesitate to say that any more than 1/2 of Nikon's total revenue is from the DSLR market.
07-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Pentax has nothing else to focus on (ha ha) than DSLR (and P&S). Ricoh's acquisition of Pentax does not include the medical entity. Frankly, since 2006, Pentax has at times been innovative or "different". They've fallen behind and surged ahead. They've introduced relatively low-cost WR. Just because Pentax maintains only 2 or 3 bodies at a time doesn't mean they aren't committed. They are a small player, like Subaru in the car market.

Nikon is more than just cameras & camera lenses, BTW. The make medical imaging equipment, too. In fact, I would hesitate to say that any more than 1/2 of Nikon's total revenue is from the DSLR market.
Was not aware that Nikon was quite that diversified. I took a look, seems that the camera division accounted for probably 80% of thier profits. The instrument division took a loss and the remaining profit came from the precision instrument division. As for Ricoh, that won't even go into effect until October and likely will bear no fruit for at least 12 months but it is a good sign. I do wonder if Ricoh plans on keeping the Pentax name or if they will eventually morph it into Ricoh (think ATI/AMD). I had a Ricoh 35mm SLR at one time, it was a nice camera.
07-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have two Subarus. I guess that is why I shoot Pentax.

07-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was not aware that Nikon was quite that diversified. I took a look, seems that the camera division accounted for probably 80% of thier profits. The instrument division took a loss and the remaining profit came from the precision instrument division. As for Ricoh, that won't even go into effect until October and likely will bear no fruit for at least 12 months but it is a good sign. I do wonder if Ricoh plans on keeping the Pentax name or if they will eventually morph it into Ricoh (think ATI/AMD). I had a Ricoh 35mm SLR at one time, it was a nice camera.
Wow, I didn't realize that Nikon's various instrument divisions had plunged so steeply. A couple years ago they were really pushing.

There's a couple of threads already about the Ricoh acquisition, but I think that many of us, in short, are not expecting any Ricoh-ization of Pentaxion in the near future but are hopeful that in the short term the financial stability of Ricoh and their regard for Pentax will spur rapid product development.

Oh yeah, and there's threads about changing Pentax's name, too. I, for one, did not think AMD should allow the ATI name to die, and I was clearly off base.
07-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I have two Subarus. I guess that is why I shoot Pentax.
My favorite car I ever had was a 1991 Loyale 4WD wagon.
07-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
It was actually this forum that swayed me to Nikon
Then why still post here?
07-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #116

I have been lurking on this forum for the past few weeks and it is this (Seemingly tight knit) forum that finally persuaded me to purchase a K5 over the competition.
07-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #117

Wow, I didn't realize that Nikon's various instrument divisions had plunged so steeply. A couple years ago they were really pushing.

There's a couple of threads already about the Ricoh acquisition, but I think that many of us, in short, are not expecting any Ricoh-ization of Pentaxion in the near future but are hopeful that in the short term the financial stability of Ricoh and their regard for Pentax will spur rapid product development.

Oh yeah, and there's threads about changing Pentax's name, too. I, for one, did not think AMD should allow the ATI name to die, and I was clearly off base.
Well, after doing some googling it appears that Ricoh has stated that the Pentax name is not going anywhere. I think they are now owned by a company that is much better suited to grow the brand I think. As for AMD and ATI, I was hoping they'd keep the name but in the computer world companies hit #1 and then flame out all the time... Voodoo graphics comes to mind... so I guess it probably wasn't as big an issue...
07-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #118

Then why still post here?
Is this forum only for those that currently own Pentax or is it only for those that proclaim Pentax as the greatest imaging device known to mankind? Why so thin skinned? I own a Pentax and a Nikon, am I only half welcome here?

I think it's a tribute to (most) of the members here that someone who no longer uses the make still likes to read and contribute to the forums here. Lighten up Dude...
07-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this forum only for those that currently own Pentax or is it only for those that proclaim Pentax as the greatest imaging device known to mankind? Why so thin skinned? I own a Pentax and a Nikon, am I only half welcome here?

I think it's a tribute to (most) of the members here that someone who no longer uses the make still likes to read and contribute to the forums here. Lighten up Dude...
Wait, what...

How am I being thin skinned? Dylansalt mentioned that this forum "swayed" him to use Nikon. That's fine, especially if Nikon allows him to doing things that are more difficult or less comfortable to do than with Pentax. If I ever switch to Nikon, I'd belong to a Nikon forum.

Maybe Dylansalt still maintains a Pentax system... maybe he's adapted Pentax lenses to work on his Nikon. Maybe he just feels a connection with Pentax. That's good, too.

But I simply asked him, "Then why still post here?" I didn't judge him. I didn't castigate him. I'm just curious.

Your attack (maybe to strong a word?) on me, though, is unwarranted. I could say that you are being "thin skinned", but I'll reserve judgment, because I might be mistaken.
07-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #120

Wait, what...

How am I being thin skinned? Dylansalt mentioned that this forum "swayed" him to use Nikon. That's fine, especially if Nikon allows him to doing things that are more difficult or less comfortable to do than with Pentax. If I ever switch to Nikon, I'd belong to a Nikon forum.

Maybe Dylansalt still maintains a Pentax system... maybe he's adapted Pentax lenses to work on his Nikon. Maybe he just feels a connection with Pentax. That's good, too.

But I simply asked him, "Then why still post here?" I didn't judge him. I didn't castigate him. I'm just curious.

Your attack (maybe to strong a word?) on me, though, is unwarranted. I could say that you are being "thin skinned", but I'll reserve judgment, because I might be mistaken.
Well, I suppose that's that weakness of the internet... you can't read inflection or emphasis. This thread in particular has gotten nasty a few times and I *thought* your message was taking it there again. My apologies.