Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by mdbrown Quote
... you can't read inflection or emphasis....
Thats why geeks invented Emoticons
Their presence or absence can entirely change the skew of a message Thats how you 'inflect' or use 'body language' on the internet... Its not just cause it looks cute

Its also one thing I notice around here - Very limited use of Emoticons by lots of people - which renders lots of posts apparently 'hostile' when a simple smiley would have made it obvious to most

07-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #122

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Thats why geeks invented Emoticons
Granted... then again his post that I replied to had no emoticons in it so...
07-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Granted... then again his post that I replied to had no emoticons in it so...
Yup - a quick edit during your post to my above post:

Its also one thing I notice around here - Very limited use of Emoticons by lots of people - which renders lots of posts apparently 'hostile' when a simple smiley would have made it obvious to most
It seems lack of emoticon in these passionate discussions occurs regularly on here.. maybe it is always dry and serious, but surely some people occasionally post with brevity
07-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #124

Yup - a quick edit during your post to my above post:

It seems lack of emoticon in these passionate discussions occurs regularly on here.. maybe it is always dry and serious, but surely some people occasionally post with brevity
Actually, I really don't use them all that much although I guess I should. Sometimes I come off as a bit of a stiff as I tend to be rather direct.

07-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I suppose that's that weakness of the internet... you can't read inflection or emphasis. This thread in particular has gotten nasty a few times and I *thought* your message was taking it there again. My apologies.
Hmm, you just spurred me on to read this entire thread - I had skipped the middle pages, so I see where there is hostility present, so now I understand your POV, and I'm glad neither one of us has to be Mr. Thin-skinned!

I did see, though, where Dylansalt made a couple of posts of the "Nikon is better than Pentax" sort, and didn't follow up when challenged on that. So maybe, had I read those posts sooner, I would have added some snark to "Then why post here?"
07-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We need more interesting emoticons here... (need the Colbert Emoticon here)
07-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #127
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

How about this......I have a perfect in every way K5, and I have to pinch myself to believe what I see and feel every time I pick it up. My dream camera....all the features I want and a ton more on top of that.

I'm a lucky guy....and I have Squirrels galore too! Life is good!
Best Regards!

07-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm a lucky guy....and I have Squirrels galore too! Life is good!
Best Regards!
Isn't "Squirrels Galore" that famous Bond Squirrel?

not taken with a Pentax...

Last edited by luftfluss; 06-08-2016 at 08:25 AM.
07-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I don't want this to seem like a rebuttal to the previous post, however the forum os naturally going to feature the problems and not the praise of Pentax gear.
While this is partially true in the sense that you can complain more about equipment you truly know about, I feel that this is more than made up by what ranges between brand enthusiasm and fanboyism.

If, e.g., the DA* 16-50/2.8 would be produced by another manufacturer, I'm sure people would refer to it as an overpriced, underperforming, and unreliable piece of rubbish. Coming from Pentax, it is hailed as an extraordinary lens by many despite its shoddy SDM and decentering history and the fact that much cheaper zooms (such as the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and the Sigma 18-50/2.8) optically outperform it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Anyway, the K-5 is not without its little idiosyncracies, which some users (such as myself) have found it easy to live with and enjoy shooting with it, and others don't.
I wouldn't want this to sound aggressive but it appears to me that "idiosyncracies" is a euphemism for "problems" in this case, isn't it?

If it hadn't been for the K-5's low-light AF, shutter blocking, locking up, and (to a lesser extent) flash exposure issues, I would have bought one already. I might still get one but I really wish one would take less of a gamble when ordering a K-5, in particular, when local prices prohibit one from just bringing it back to the store, should it have issues.
07-11-2011, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Isn't "Squirrels Galore" that famous Bond Squirrel?

not taken with a Pentax...
Nice Squirrel shot! Appreciated!

No, you are thinking of "Tits Galore"...another famous Squirrel Star......
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards!
07-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IIGQ4U Quote
I have been lurking on this forum for the past few weeks and it is this (Seemingly tight knit) forum that finally persuaded me to purchase a K5 over the competition.
It is truly a superb camera - I'm sure you will absolutely love it, as the vast majority of owners do. It is a major stop up from the K7 and has superb reviews from testers across the net.

As you can see the majority of the knockers seem to be those that don't even own, or have used, the K5.
07-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
It is truly a superb camera - I'm sure you will absolutely love it, as the vast majority of owners do. It is a major stop up from the K7 and has superb reviews from testers across the net.

As you can see the majority of the knockers seem to be those that don't even own, or have used, the K5.

Frogfish....I just don't think that is right. Most here I see with problems are legitimate K5 owners...with some sort of problem. Granted, the majority of users seem to have no problems...I don't....but I don't want to offend my fellow Pentaxians that have difficulty with their camera. Unless there is someone that is obviously trolling, I think we would be of better benefit to Pentax an ourselves to listen to their problems, sympathize , and offer suggestions for a solution, if possible.
It is sort of like coming home from a hard day at work and having the wife and kids throw cold water on you.......when we should be a family together. That's just my opinion, and you have yours, which is perfectly legitimate......but harmony beats divisiveness most every time.
Best Regards
07-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Frogfish....I just don't think that is right. Most here I see with problems are legitimate K5 owners...with some sort of problem. Granted, the majority of users seem to have no problems...I don't....but I don't want to offend my fellow Pentaxians that have difficulty with their camera. Unless there is someone that is obviously trolling, I think we would be of better benefit to Pentax an ourselves to listen to their problems, sympathize , and offer suggestions for a solution, if possible.
It is sort of like coming home from a hard day at work and having the wife and kids throw cold water on you.......when we should be a family together. That's just my opinion, and you have yours, which is perfectly legitimate......but harmony beats divisiveness most every time.
Best Regards
You are quite right Rupert.

TBH I am just getting fed up of the very vocal minority some of whom don't even own a K5 pointing at every thread on a K5 issue as a vindication of their ' problem riddled piece of crap' opinion, whereas in reality the % of people owning a K5 and having issues to those who don't is almost certainly within the 5% threshold that camera manufacturers target (as with most complicated pieces of electronic machinery) - I did see these figures mentioned somewhere just recently by someone in the trade (I should have clipped the article) - all the manufacturers are roughly the same when it comes to % of product returns to products sold.

If you go over to Nikon and Canon forums they are no different, with the Nikon D7000 especially eliciting multiple threads on a plethora of issues (including their own 'stain' problem).

What really got my back up was someone saying they went to Nikon because of this forum's comments on the K5. Didn't they bother to even check out the Nikon forums ? I have nothing against Nikon whatsoever, the D700 is my next camera (to add to the K5) when I find a used one I can afford, but the reality is advanced, complicated, electronic devices will always have a particular failure rate and from everything I have read the K5 is NOW (that the stain issue has been resolved and Firmware 1.03 issued) no worse or better than any other camera in that regard .... and this is coming from someone who's K5 did have a minor issue, resolved within 5 days (drop/off to pick/up time).

The K5 is a superb piece of kit, early adopters had a rough ride but, as of the date of this post, it competes very strongly with the 7D, D300s and D7000 (the 60D does lag behind but then is much cheaper), all of those models have pros and cons and situations where they are not at their best but those, mainly early, issues should not put-off potential buyers considering the K5, instead just compare the cameras on their strengths / weaknesses for your type of photography and choose the one that makes the most sense to you.
07-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #134
Pentaxian

Frogfish....I just don't think that is right. Most here I see with problems are legitimate K5 owners...with some sort of problem. Granted, the majority of users seem to have no problems...I don't....but I don't want to offend my fellow Pentaxians that have difficulty with their camera.
Well said, Rupert.

Maybe posters (those that frogfish doesn't like) who don't have a K-5 post about K-5 issues not because they don't have one. Maybe it is the other way round. Maybe these posters don't have a K-5 precisely because other people they got to know via the forum and trust their assessment (e.g., falconeye and his low-light AF study) have reported issues.

Frogfish, maybe you didn't mean me personally, but I don't want to pay a considerable amount of money for a camera that has AF low light issues and that I might have to slap hard now and then to get the shutter unstuck or whose battery I need to remove once in a while to stop the mirror from flipping up and down.

I might be lucky and get a good copy, however, given my situation -- I cannot buy locally and just return -- I'd rather wait till some of the issues will be gone (like the stains).

It might be tiring to read posts "knocking the K-5" but it is also tiring to hear the argument "you cannot even take part in a discussion unless you own the equipment". Why would I get some equipment just to be able to say "my K-5 cannot focus properly in low-light" rather than "people I trust (falconeye) have established that the K-5 cannot focus in low light"?

BTW, I agree with you: The K-5 is a superb piece of kit. If I could rely on getting one that worked to specification, I would have bought one already.
07-12-2011, 02:04 AM   #135
Veteran Member

Pentax Forums: 14 user reviews, average score 9.29/10

DPReview: 5 user reviews, average score 5/5

Amazon.com: 20 user reviews, average score 4.8/5

Amazon.co.uk: 12 user reviews, average score 4.6/5

Amazon.co.jp: 9 user reviews, average score 4.9/5

A very small percentage of owners have problems, and they are echoed and amplified over and over again in an unstoppable feedback loop in the forums.