Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 'response' on K5 freezing

There was another thread re: freezing. I explained the issue there. I am not one of those who complains about things unless it is really there. But I thought I should start a new thread to let people know what pentax said as I have not heard of anyone else sending their K5 in. I sure hope this is an isolated issue for certain purchasers only. I had freezing of the k5 for the last few weeks and I had no choice as it was being replicated too easily:

I am not going to repeat the problems I reported in the othere thread but I contacted Pentax live support re: sensor stain and repeated freezing issue when shooting on AF-C high. [As you can see I had 'not even bothered to look' for the sensor stain until I saw their last notice. Shot at f22 and there it was. Ugh!] I thought I would kill 2 birds with one stone and contact pentax. However I did not get an answer about the freezing other than that to send it in with a note and that they would 'send the request up'.

Here is the conversation:

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Matthew P.

Matthew P: Thank you for contacting Pentax Chat Support. How may I help you?
SS: I have a k5 with sensor stain and it also freezes repeatedly
Matthew P: Will you please send me full contact information so that I can send you a free USP Shipping label for the Stain.
SS: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, USA
Matthew P: is this your email? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com
SS: yes. what about the repeated freezing anytime I take shots on AF-C Hi continous shooting
Matthew P: I need you to explain that in a note when you send that out
SS: ok
SS: are u still there? what else do I need to do?
Matthew P: Im sorry about that wait
Matthew P: Thank you for your patience.
Matthew P: Ok. So, when you send your camera in and you get your UPS Shipping label, I suggest writting a brief note with a description of the problem. Explain the repeated freezing as well, please.
Matthew P: Will you send me your telephone number and serial number of the camera?
SS: will do. Phone: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx S/N:3823904
Matthew P: Thank you. Ok. Thanks
Matthew P: Im going to send this request up, now. You should see this shipping lable in your email by tomorrow afternoon
SS: ok. Thanks.No.
Matthew P: You're very welcome. Do you have any other questions?
SS: No. Thanks.
Matthew P: Alright, well thank you for using Pentax. I hope you have a good day.
SS: You too . Bye

As you can see, I did not get much info. This conversation thread does not show the long silence in between. I thought I was disconnected after trying to get more info on freezing. I did not think he knew how to answer that on.e But I suppose at this time I will wait and see what they do with the camera and will keep the forum posted.

By the way: I LOVE the k5. Great low light shooter. Great feel. I Just want it back in reliable condition and to let others know to check shooting in AF-C high to make sure this is not an issue on their camera too. I think this is just an early adopter issue or maybe just an isolated event.

01-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From what I understand (from other posters) they are simply replacing the cameras. Mine flies Monday (or rather trucks, I'm sure the label is a Ground label). The interesting thing is, while I had Randall on the other end of the chat, I asked about sending other items at the same time. They would have provided the label for everything (on them), all they need to know was what I wanted to send. I decided to just deal with the camera for now though. All that need be sent, is the body.