Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Hey, lay off the "tree rats" already! I rather like the little chattering furballs myself. In fact I like squirrels better than I like some people sometimes. At least they are cute and usually mannerly. ;P
Festus sends his regards and appreciates your defense. Some have the balls, some don't. He also reminds that Squirrels are better than people, so he gives you an A+ for your observation!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Envy is a strong emotion..........and I have always concluded mostly why Mr Don hates my Squirrels!
Best Regards!

01-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BravoFoxtrot Quote
I suspect many of these QC issues stem from jamming the latest and greatest features and hardware into these bodies while trying to adhere to a strict release date. There is significant competition in this market segment and quickly releasing a product to match or exceed the competition seems to be priority over QC.
That, and then of course the pressure towards lower cost (= lower price / more profit). A balancing act, really. I suppose it is important to appreciate that it is us, the punters whose choices drive the process. As such, we might do well to reflect on our demands (cheap and perfect?) ... OTOH demanding that something works as advertised (or maybe even as reasonably expected) is a part of the process; discussion like this should help to appreciate what a "reasonable person" might expect (or it might confirm that the concept is merely a legal fiction )
01-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Hey, lay off the "tree rats" already! I rather like the little chattering furballs myself. In fact I like squirrels better than I like some people sometimes. At least they are cute and usually mannerly. ;P
Ask Rupert about his Wires..

01-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #19

I've got the K5. My first one had the stains, and I think my second one has some low light FF issues....but.... it is still the best camera that I've ever used. I love it. Even with it's issues, which most camera's have anyways, I would not think twice about buying into another K5.

01-30-2011, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Please excuse my early morning annoyance. From the start, as an owner of a k5 which had the stain issue I have remained relatively level headed, and on the opposite end of wheatfield's posts from the start. There is no defense here for either side really, which lead to my annoyance at perpetuating an issue that is publically recognized and being dealt with in as systematic a process as you can expect a business to do. So really I am asking what more can pentax as a business do at this point?
01-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
I've got the K5. My first one had the stains, and I think my second one has some low light FF issues....but.... it is still the best camera that I've ever used. I love it. Even with it's issues, which most camera's have anyways, I would not think twice about buying into another K5.
I have the same experience. First one had stains, the second has low light FF. And I still share your opinion. I'll still pick the K-5 over any other camera. I had AF or QC problems with other brands too and there is no perfect camera. K-5 is currently the closest to perfection.
And regarding the tungsten FF - I have troubles with FA primes, but when I tried my friends DA*16-50, the focus in low light was just perfect. So perhaps I just need new lens...
01-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Especially fried...
01-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Please excuse my early morning annoyance. From the start, as an owner of a k5 which had the stain issue I have remained relatively level headed, and on the opposite end of wheatfield's posts from the start. There is no defense here for either side really, which lead to my annoyance at perpetuating an issue that is publically recognized and being dealt with in as systematic a process as you can expect a business to do. So really I am asking what more can pentax as a business do at this point?

What all other Successful business do when they have such an outcry over a defect or perceived defect....publicly address the issue. Silence is what is hounding them now. They addressed the Sensor Stains and now that is a dead issue, with little comment or complaint. They could at least acknowledge that there are FF issues and that they are investigating and will make a repair where necessary. That's what they can do....and there are many examples of other Mfg's taking this course with success.
Just look around the world....issues not addressed fester......every time. SDM is a constant reminder of a festered sore.
Regards!

01-30-2011, 11:11 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

History will undoubtedly show that disgruntled K-5 owners were the initial cause behind the riots in Egypt.
01-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Hoya Factor

QuoteOriginally posted by donallison13 Quote
Thank you, James. All I need, a few words of encouragement from a man who talks to tree rats. I guess I'll just have to "buck" up and go get me a K-5 at the end of the year when prices hit $900. Maybe by then, the QA and Customer Service gurus at Hoya/Pentax will have been put out to pasture and a new crop will be manning the barricades. Cheers. Don

There they go....

I know these guys are Pentax fans, well users and have been for a long time. These guys have spent a lot of time and money on Pentax gear before a lot of the posters owned a Pentax.

I just ditto what Don says and am in his exact spot.

Yes the K20D is very enjoyable I have tracked it for years. It is Pentax most reliable dSLR!
01-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
History will undoubtedly show that disgruntled K-5 owners were the initial cause behind the riots in Egypt.
HAHAHAHAHA

You def get a point for that one bud!
01-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote

I wanted to say that but don't want to drift off into P&R territory where I always get in trouble. Just one quick question, was it the Sensor Stains or the FF that pushed them over the edge?
Regards!
01-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I wanted to say that but don't want to drift off into P&R territory where I always get in trouble. Just one quick question, was it the Sensor Stains or the FF that pushed them over the edge?
Regards!
The stains. Presumably, the FF can be fixed with firmware so once they get it figured out, that problem will go away. Can't fix the stains with firmware

01-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BravoFoxtrot Quote
It seems almost all of the major DSLR makers are experiencing problems and bugs with their newly released bodies. The D7000 seems to have new troubles popping up almost daily (albeit, much of it user error). I still read a ton of problems with the Canon 7D and that's a more mature body. Like many, I'm in the market for a new DSLR and have taken a keen interest in these problems. The only newer body that seems to not have many issues is the Canon 60D. The body I'm least interested in.

I suspect many of these QC issues stem from jamming the latest and greatest features and hardware into these bodies while trying to adhere to a strict release date. There is significant competition in this market segment and quickly releasing a product to match or exceed the competition seems to be priority over QC.

QC seems to be suffering with the major players in the DSLR market. I wonder if a smaller player like Pentax can withstand or sustain such a negative perception of the quality of their product. Thankfully they addressed the sensor stain issue, but the FF issue is still present. If they can quickly resolve this, I think that will go a long way towards improving the tainted quality perception they seem to be holding of late.

My personal stance...it seems Canon and Nikon are having similar gaffes, so I will cut Pentax some slack and give them time to address/resolve the issues before condemning them. Besides, the K-5 for example, really meets and exceeds what many of want in a DSLR. Now if they can just iron the bugs out.

My .02 if it's even worth that much.

Joe
Hey Bravo, very nice summation of the problem.

My problem is that for the live theatre I shoot promos for, the K5 is exactly what i need. Besides shooting sometimes dim sets for the theatre, I also like shooting moody scenes in the evening.

So i've considered moving to another brand, but i'm not thrilled by the choices. A friend i shoot with just brought in his D7000 last night. a quieter shutter than my K20, but the reports saying that the K5 is even quieter would be awesome. The D7000 is actually smaller than my K20 which i would be Ok with. Things i don't like about the D7000:
a. Reports about it having BF and FF problems are alarming - why switch to fight thru the same problem.
b. Can't map out its own hot pixels
c. Can't shoot more than 3 auto bracketed shots,
d. WR - as good as Pentax, maybe, maybe not - an unknown
e. We complain about $600 to $1000 lenses, but the top Nikon lenses are twice that or more. They are bulky and heavy with the VR option.
f. Can't do multiple images, don't laugh, I've done some very nice water pics that way and don't want to lose that capability
g. My friend says he still hasn't got used to it after 2 weeks, whats with that, he's coming from a D40. I'll have to find one in a store someplace and try it out, I never had a problem learning Pentax's menu system - wouldn't want to switch to something inscrutable :-)

On the other hand, Nikon has better flash program, better 3rd party support, and options for AF tracking. I'm not a pro, so these benefits would be nice but not essential for the kind of work I do.

I can't wait till the end of the year to make a decision, and would like to make a decision by mid Feb. Fish or cut bait as they say.

Last edited by philbaum; 01-30-2011 at 12:14 PM.
01-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
What all other Successful business do when they have such an outcry over a defect or perceived defect....publicly address the issue. Silence is what is hounding them now. They addressed the Sensor Stains and now that is a dead issue, with little comment or complaint. They could at least acknowledge that there are FF issues and that they are investigating and will make a repair where necessary. That's what they can do....and there are many examples of other Mfg's taking this course with success.
Just look around the world....issues not addressed fester......every time. SDM is a constant reminder of a festered sore.
Regards!
I don't think FF issue is serious enough for Pentax to make a public statement about. Maybe it is to you, but I doubt if they feel that way. If they didn't make a statement about SDM they're definitely not going to make one about FF issues. When they have a firmware fix for it then they will say they have fixed it.
Closed Thread