Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by donallison13 Quote
No, I'm not a troller; no, I'm not a Fanby. But I have been using Pentax DSLRs since their inception with the istD (which I loved), and currently own the K10D (world's worst AF system) and K20D (absolutely wonderful camera). No, I don't own any of those SDMs that Pentax has been producing in Vietnam the last few years. I've read too many horror stories, but I do own some of the best screwdrive lenses that Pentax and Sigma produce. So, what's my point: We got ourselves the lemon of all lemons with the K-5 from what I've been reading on a couple of Forums. My buddies keep sending them back and back and back...some even 3 times back, just hoping they'll get a good copy. Well, I've got my $1,300 in the bank for a "fixed" unit, whenever it comes from a 4th or 5th production run, but I might be waiting awhile. LOL. I can't help but think that with all the quality issues with the K-5, notwithstanding its fine abilities to take great images, and with a price point ridiculously high at this time, that Pentax has once again shot itself in its proverbial arse. Such is life for an old Pentax user. Sometimes, I just wish I didn't have so much invested in their gear.
You know Don, with the way prices have gone up over time, I bet you could sell your Pentax lenses and break even, if not turn a profit. I don't want to see you leave Pentax, but I also know that life is too short to be shooting with crappy gear from a company that doesn't care and consistently drops the ball with QC.

01-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You know Don, with the way prices have gone up over time, I bet you could sell your Pentax lenses and break even, if not turn a profit. I don't want to see you leave Pentax, but I also know that life is too short to be shooting with crappy gear from a company that doesn't care and consistently drops the ball with QC.
On another forum Don has talked of going to Nikon; many times we see the inevitable progression...someone spooked by forum-generated fear, uncertainty and doubt despite never having even held the camera - then selling out and going to another brand. Then getting spooked by more FUD.

I suspect Don will leave us soon. I wish him well.
01-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #33
Veteran Member

+1 to jthommo
Yet again, another thread started by someone who hasn't actually used a K-5 in person and calling it a lemon.
More FUD being generated by people who read internet chatter and coming up with unsupported presuppositions.
The closest analogy I can think off is like driving a performance car like a Ferrari or a Porsche.
People can study the specs, read the owners' reviews but you'll never really know what it actually feels like until you get in and actually drive it.
01-30-2011, 03:00 PM - 2 Likes   #34

My two "lemons" haven't stopped me making great use of my new camera.

I bought my K-5 before Christmas; by the new year I had identified sensor stains, but was about to leave on a trip to India so put off replacing it. After returning I found 2 images from the whole collection where the stain was visible and fixed them in a couple on minutes in PP.

I exchanged the camera for another copy. It too had a relatively low serial number and, indeed, testing showed sensor stains. I held on to the exchange as I was soon to leave for a trip to the San Francisco area. So far I haven't seen any real world photos this trip which show up the issue. On the other hand ISO 3200 in indoor settings has been a revelation. Night and day compared to my previous K-10 at high ISO; I've got many shots I wouldn't have thought to try with my previous body.

Once I'm back home I'll get another replacement while my warrantee is still good, keeping going if necessary until I get an unblemished copy -- once the bad stock has worked its way through the retail channel it should be OK.

I don't count myself as an uncritical Pentax fanboy, but despite having had two sensor-stained K-5s (so far), there's no way I'd have wanted to wait to own this camera. It's been great to use for my 1000 odd actuations in the last six weeks; the stains have had (almost) no real world effect; and I've got so many shots I wouldn't have managed with my previous camera. Count me as happy despite the issues.

01-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnp2 Quote

I bought my K-5 before Christmas; by the new year I had identified sensor stains, but was about to leave on a trip to India so put off replacing it. After returning I found 2 images from the whole collection where the stain was visible and fixed them in a couple on minutes in PP.

I exchanged the camera for another copy. It too had a relatively low serial number and, indeed, testing showed sensor stains. I held on to the exchange as I was soon to leave for a trip to the San Francisco area. So far I haven't seen any real world photos this trip which show up the issue. On the other hand ISO 3200 in indoor settings has been a revelation. Night and day compared to my previous K-10 at high ISO; I've got many shots I wouldn't have thought to try with my previous body.

Once I'm back home I'll get another replacement while my warrantee is still good, keeping going if necessary until I get an unblemished copy -- once the bad stock has worked its way through the retail channel it should be OK.

I don't count myself as an uncritical Pentax fanboy, but despite having had two sensor-stained K-5s (so far), there's no way I'd have wanted to wait to own this camera. It's been great to use for my 1000 odd actuations in the last six weeks; the stains have had (almost) no real world effect; and I've got so many shots I wouldn't have managed with my previous camera. Count me as happy despite the issues.
Well said. I had to return my first for sensor stains, but the second is good - no sign of stains or FF problems. If this is a lemon, pass the tequila and salt.
01-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnp2 Quote

good sensible Post John..thanks for the refreshing input..rep added
01-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lemon ... ?

OK, I tested two copies of the K5 before finally settling for a third one which shows absolutely no sign of AF under low light AF problem, no stain issues either. The dials all work fine. All in all, it is just as expected: great.

Does that mean that they first two were lemons? Or does that mean that they were among the first batches produced, which showed the issues, and that Pentax recognized and apologized for OFFICIALLY?
As far as I know, for most users, the latest series of K5 show no problems. We were expecting Pentax to act on the facts ... they did.
Very few large companies would actually acknowledge this sort of defect and agree to have all "bad" copies" replaced with "good" ones. Pentax did.

To say that Pentax is producing "lemons" is rather unconvincing, especially when the calling is made through total ignorance of the actual "finished" product.

My K5 is the best camera I have owned in my many years of photography.

JP

01-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #38
Banned

Original Poster
Magkelly: I ain't got nothing against a few fat tree rats. Me, Tree Rat Popper and the Camp Boys have a stew every so often. Stew some nice fat tree rats, entrails removed, slowly and with a quart of Winking Owl Shiraz ($2.97 a bottle at Aldi's) and ya got yourself a fine Carolina meal. Cheers. Don

Pierre: A lemon is a lemon is a lemon, or in your world, a citron is a citron is a tabernac of a citron. Cheers, mon ami.
01-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #39

I don't post very often, but I'll toss in my two cents.

Cut Don a break. Senior citizens have the right to get ornery from time to time - it's all part of the process. (That was "ornery" not "Hornery" - that's a different scenario altogether, and NONE of us want to debate Don's situation in that category).

BravoFoxTrot hit the nail on the head on page 1 of this thread - Nikon and Canon have their own problems - you should read what they say about their new cameras - Nikon is fixing their problems, but it doesn't look like Canon cares.

At least Pentax is making an effort to fix the problems - sometimes, when you try to get a product to market prior to Christmas, there are problems with components that are really beyond the control of the company - I suppose they should have tested every sensor, but that is really the responsibility of the supplier.

In any event, if Pentax says that the cameras that should be repaired will be repaired, we should give them the benefit of an opportunity to make things right.

Norm.
01-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #40
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Lemon ... ?

OK, I tested two copies of the K5 before finally settling for a third one which shows absolutely no sign of AF under low light AF problem, no stain issues either. The dials all work fine. All in all, it is just as expected: great.

Does that mean that they first two were lemons? Or does that mean that they were among the first batches produced, which showed the issues, and that Pentax recognized and apologized for OFFICIALLY?
As far as I know, for most users, the latest series of K5 show no problems. We were expecting Pentax to act on the facts ... they did.
Very few large companies would actually acknowledge this sort of defect and agree to have all "bad" copies" replaced with "good" ones. Pentax did.

To say that Pentax is producing "lemons" is rather unconvincing, especially when the calling is made through total ignorance of the actual "finished" product.

My K5 is the best camera I have owned in my many years of photography.

JP

JP, that is some twisted logic if I ever saw any, but I tell you what, if you are now happy with your K5 that is all that matters and I am happier for you than you can imagine. If we can get everyone else as happy as you are, this will all be history and we can complain about something else! You go and enjoy your K5, take a ton of great shots, and enjoy life...that is how it should be.
Best Regards!
01-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #41

I just ordered a new K5 from B&H today. I sold all my canon gear and am looking forward to
using the K5. I am aware of the stain problem but since Pentax is taking care of that I can't see
getting another brand considering that they all have some type of shortcoming. There isn't a
perfect camera for everyone. All I know is that the minute I put the K5 in my hand I knew I had
to have one
Jim
01-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Olson Quote
I just ordered a new K5 from B&H today. I sold all my canon gear and am looking forward to
using the K5. I am aware of the stain problem but since Pentax is taking care of that I can't see
getting another brand considering that they all have some type of shortcoming. There isn't a
perfect camera for everyone. All I know is that the minute I put the K5 in my hand I knew I had
to have one

Jim
That's what my youngest son said about wife #1........now he is on #4 and if I was a gambling man.......
Regardless, I wish you the best of luck and hope you don't need it.
Regards!
01-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I love these posts from people who've never even seen let alone used the camera. This is the best example of internet-driven FUD I've ever seen.

Keep it coming!
01-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #44
Banned

Original Poster
Jeremy: I have held the camera, and much enjoy its looks and bells and whistles. I will have little problem sending back a couple of malfunctioning copies when the price is right. And I'll cuss the effing nitwits at Hoya/Pentax all the while. Nothing like a little self flatulation to cleanse the soul.
01-30-2011, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jthommo Quote
I love these posts from people who've never even seen let alone used the camera. This is the best example of internet-driven FUD I've ever seen.

Keep it coming!
Don't blame us, in a tiny nation of 300+ Million people, there are probably less that a dozen places where you can hold a K5 in your hands, take test shots, and try it for yourself.
As long as the problem goes unresolved and without a response from Pentax you can bet your Wallaby it will keep on coming. Some people are just so stubborn....they want what they paid for....imagine that!
Best Regards
Closed Thread