Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
As long as the problem goes unresolved
Best Regards
What problem? I don't have a problem and nor do many others.

01-30-2011, 05:50 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jthommo Quote

I love these post from people who think they are the center of the universe... I'm one of these who does have a problem... my K5 is still in service with a stained sensor... 4-6 week turn-around time... As far as I'm concerned that's a fu$king big problem when you've cashed out over 1500$ for a brand new camera...
01-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #48
Veteran Member

I don't have an issue with my K5 either and it was and it was an early model. If I did, I would get a replacement camera and would get on with my life. where things stand today, if you get a camera from a higher volume retailer, you won't get one of the early adopter models.

As far as switching brands, from what others are saying, Nikon and Canon have a ton of issues so whose to say you won't be in worse shape.
01-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jthommo Quote
Well, we know there was a significant problem, but as far as I can make out it's been acknowledged (though for some reason only apologised for in the Japanese home market, but, hey, that's the Japanese for you), the cause has been identified and replacements forwarded for the stain issue, at least.

The only other issue (yet to be acknowledged, as far as I can make out) is the artificial/low-light focus issue, which may or may not be a problem for some users. It isn't for me, so as far as I'm concerned (bordering on Senior Citizen and refuse to conform to grumpy stereotype) it's the best Pentax camera I've owned. All life's a compromise (even in the Canon/Nikon camps, although they're probably less likely to admit it) and buying a K-5 has proven to be one of the better ones I've made in this area.

Cheers (no, really)
Rob

01-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
I love these post from people who think they are the center of the universe... I'm one of these who does have a problem... my K5 is still in service with a stained sensor... 4-6 week turn-around time... As far as I'm concerned that's a fu$king big problem when you've cashed out over 1500$ for a brand new camera...
And I love these people who think they are the centre of the universe too...
01-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that is a problem. I'd be similarly irked if a replacement took that long. Is it Pentax Japan or their representation in Canada that's the problem? My near neighbour David (known in these Forums) turned his around in a few days here at the bottom of the world - and that from a national representative who has come in for considerable stick over their attitude to Pentax products in the past.
01-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Now that is a problem. I'd be similarly irked if a replacement took that long. Is it Pentax Japan or their representation in Canada that's the problem? My near neighbour David (known in these Forums) turned his around in a few days here at the bottom of the world - and that from a national representative who has come in for considerable stick over their attitude to Pentax products in the past.
Camera was purchase through one of the local retailers and Pentax Canada's policy is that once the camera lives the store, it cannot be returned for a defect... only exchanged... after the service technician (in Toronto) will confirm that the defect in question is in fact a factory defect...

no comments... fuc$ing disgrace.... best dslr experience ever... thumps up Pentax!!!!

01-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't blame us, in a tiny nation of 300+ Million people, there are probably less that a dozen places where you can hold a K5 in your hands, take test shots, and try it for yourself.
This kind of unavailability issue hasn't hurt Leica sales any.

Less than a dozen places? Apparently three of those are within 25 miles of my home. Lucky me!

Steve

(BTW...I read this entire thread and am still under the impression that almost all of the griping is being done by people who don't own and are not considering purchase of the camera. Go figure...)
01-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Camera was purchase through one of the local retailers and Pentax Canada's policy is that once the camera lives the store, it cannot be returned for a defect... only exchanged... after the service technician (in Toronto) will confirm that the defect in question is in fact a factory defect...

no comments... fuc$ing disgrace.... best dslr experience ever... thumps up Pentax!!!!
No that is a problem - my sensor-stained unit was replaced overnight (by Pentax' Australian importer) with just a photograph as evidence.

Maybe you should immigrate.
01-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Who was your dealer? Do your countrymen a favor and publish the name of the slackers. They should have given you an exchange on the spot and settled up with Pentax Canada themselves.

Steve
01-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I think it is important to separate whatever issues about the gear and the after sales service as two different issues. Perhaps it is Pentax Canada that you should be giving the heat for their return process and the turnaround time. I got mine returned back to me in a very quick 10 days, though it is typically about 2 weeks where I am. Most of the K-5 owners where I am have already got theirs replaced by Pentax Japan.
01-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't blame us, in a tiny nation of 300+ Million people, there are probably less that a dozen places where you can hold a K5 in your hands, take test shots, and try it for yourself.
As long as the problem goes unresolved and without a response from Pentax you can bet your Wallaby it will keep on coming. Some people are just so stubborn....they want what they paid for....imagine that!
Best Regards
If I am not mistaken, the OP doesn't own a K5 as of yet.
With this in mind, pray tell, exactly what has he paid for that isn't working?
For that matter Rupert, you are in the same boat as the OP. What have you paid for that doesn't work?
And, if I am not mistaken, there has been somewhat of a trickling of information coming out of Pentax Germany, though to be accurate, the info is viral in nature.
So you want an "official statement" from Pentax.
What do you want them to say, "we think maybe there might be a problem because a few people are reporting that they are having trouble with an aspect of the camera?"
Would that make Festus happy?
Would it make the noisier of the complainers happy to have a non statement couched in a platitude?

Or would you prefer that they research the issue, find out precisely what is at fault, and come up with a solution, and then issue a release stating exactly what people need to do for resolution?

It's very easy to find fault, it is not so easy to find solutions.
This forum is very good at the former, but not good for anything else, apparently.
01-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I'm too busy having fun taking pictures with my "lemon" of a K-5.
Awesome camera.
01-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If I am not mistaken, the OP doesn't own a K5 as of yet.
With this in mind, pray tell, exactly what has he paid for that isn't working?
For that matter Rupert, you are in the same boat as the OP. What have you paid for that doesn't work?
And, if I am not mistaken, there has been somewhat of a trickling of information coming out of Pentax Germany, though to be accurate, the info is viral in nature.
So you want an "official statement" from Pentax.
What do you want them to say, "we think maybe there might be a problem because a few people are reporting that they are having trouble with an aspect of the camera?"
Would that make Festus happy?
Would it make the noisier of the complainers happy to have a non statement couched in a platitude?

Or would you prefer that they research the issue, find out precisely what is at fault, and come up with a solution, and then issue a release stating exactly what people need to do for resolution?

It's very easy to find fault, it is not so easy to find solutions.
This forum is very good at the former, but not good for anything else, apparently.
Wheaty

some blokes round here aint even satisfied when Pentax make a formal apology ..so I doubt a trickle of anything will satisfy the madding MOB

whats crazy is that the most Vocal..are Non K5 owners...its a mad world ...if they owned one for more than a few hours..most would realise that the benefits of the K5 outweigh it really only one shortcoming which if FF...in torture tests...{ for most owners}

..stains are now a past issue that's been resolved...people that have been burnt by that need to Harden up..or sell you pentax gear and move elsewhere.
01-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm too busy making money taking photos with my lemon of a K-5. 4-6 week turn around would suck but since the problem isn't affecting photos, dont care.

Honesly my K-5 will have dust worse than the stains in a couple months and i wont bother cleaning it. :P
Closed Thread