Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 Lemons Continue the Pentax Saga...

No, I'm not a troller; no, I'm not a Fanby. But I have been using Pentax DSLRs since their inception with the istD (which I loved), and currently own the K10D (world's worst AF system) and K20D (absolutely wonderful camera). No, I don't own any of those SDMs that Pentax has been producing in Vietnam the last few years. I've read too many horror stories, but I do own some of the best screwdrive lenses that Pentax and Sigma produce. So, what's my point: We got ourselves the lemon of all lemons with the K-5 from what I've been reading on a couple of Forums. My buddies keep sending them back and back and back...some even 3 times back, just hoping they'll get a good copy. Well, I've got my $1,300 in the bank for a "fixed" unit, whenever it comes from a 4th or 5th production run, but I might be waiting awhile. LOL. I can't help but think that with all the quality issues with the K-5, notwithstanding its fine abilities to take great images, and with a price point ridiculously high at this time, that Pentax has once again shot itself in its proverbial arse. Such is life for an old Pentax user. Sometimes, I just wish I didn't have so much invested in their gear.

01-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, the point is . . . .
01-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been following the K-5 and the subsequent QC saga since I first saw the camera announcement on DPR. I've decided to take my chances and will receive my copy tomorrow. I'm obviously concerned about the sensor stains and I'm hoping the one I receive was manufactured after the problem was remedied. The FF is another concern although my shooting is not likely to produce the problem frequently, if at all. I understand Pentax is working on a firmware fix. I have lingering concerns about the battery meter issues and I've seen those on my last two cameras as well. I've shot Pentax since 1983. I needed a camera with much better low light capability than my K200D. I seriously considered selling all my equipment and moving to Canon. This strategy would probably cost me as much as the K-5. I've been happy with Pentax equipment in general and I'm sticking with them for now. If I have a bad experience with the K-5 then I will bail as enough is enough. However I believe this camera has a lot of positives that make it better than the competition, if only a couple of issues can be resolved. I'm looking forward to testing it tomorrow and I promise not to post any test pictures! Bottom line is we all have to decide what is best for each of us. Thank goodness there are forums like this so we can be fully informed buyers. It's a free market, buy what you want and share your experiences with others.
01-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

for me, my salient point is that so many of us were thrilled silly when the k-5 was being talked about, ad nauseum, and so many couldn't wait until it was a retailed item....
then, turns out pentax hoya did an extremely poor job in their quality assurance and beta testing.. not pulling random bodies out of assembly to check the sensor and other working bits was poor manufacturing quality control... and for not testing the k-5 under all lighting conditions, led to so many reported focus issues.... this is entirely their responsibility and fault.... not the consumers.... we're not supposed to be the test bed for their new products....
sure, no one likes to plop down 1500 or so, and then be thoroughly disappointed, again, again, and again by having to repeatedly send defective units back and hope the new bodies are clean..... sometimes leaving pentaxians without a body to shoot with, not all can afford or have back up dslr bodies....
i loved my k200d, and my k-x has been a workhorse and faithful companion......
pentax hoya simply needs to improve their quality control and customer relations... this is only hurting their bottom line.... and damages their reputation (and perhaps future) in this very competitive marketplace .....

01-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
what seemed to be a success turned into a massive failure in very little time. now the K-5, the camera that received so much praise in reviews, seems to be a liability with respect to Pentax position on the market. what a pity! QC, QC, QC...
01-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by donallison13 Quote
No, I'm not a troller; no, I'm not a Fanby. But I have been using Pentax DSLRs since their inception with the istD (which I loved), and currently own the K10D (world's worst AF system) and K20D (absolutely wonderful camera). No, I don't own any of those SDMs that Pentax has been producing in Vietnam the last few years. I've read too many horror stories, but I do own some of the best screwdrive lenses that Pentax and Sigma produce. So, what's my point: We got ourselves the lemon of all lemons with the K-5 from what I've been reading on a couple of Forums. My buddies keep sending them back and back and back...some even 3 times back, just hoping they'll get a good copy. Well, I've got my $1,300 in the bank for a "fixed" unit, whenever it comes from a 4th or 5th production run, but I might be waiting awhile. LOL. I can't help but think that with all the quality issues with the K-5, notwithstanding its fine abilities to take great images, and with a price point ridiculously high at this time, that Pentax has once again shot itself in its proverbial arse. Such is life for an old Pentax user. Sometimes, I just wish I didn't have so much invested in their gear.

If you find the K20D so great (as do I,) and you find the K-5 daunting, why don't you just hold on to the K20D and continue shooting with it until either the later K-5 production runs are available, or the next body generation appears?

The fact that you think the K20D is an "absolutely wonderful camera" kinda throws cold water on your point, doesn't it?

01-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

As for the battery meter the K-5 should be in a better position with its dedicated li-ion battery than the models using AAs where the firmware has a harder time to figure out how the set of cells might be doing (as these might be 1.5V alkalines/lithium or 1.2V nimh, especially in the latter group there seems to be a lot of diversity). So far my K-5 battery/charge indicator seems to be doing a fine job; with firmware 1.01 & Eneloops my k-x was doing ok, but had more of a tendency to temporarily drop to orange/red with LV use. I came to accept this as a price of enjoying the virtues of AAs (the universal availabilty of some sort of AAs in a pinch and being able to share the Eneloops and a fancier charger with my flashes and other gadgets).

01-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I would prefer that the k-5 use AAs. The eneloops pretty much solved the meter problem in my K200d and I like the flexibility of carrying extra AAs. Only four were needed for the K200d vs 6 in the k-5 and use of AAs requires the $200 battery grip in the k-5. So I'll see how the built-in rechargable battery and meter work, but I'll have the grip and 6 AA eneloops ready in case the meter proves to be somewhat unreliable or I get stuck with a drained battery.
01-30-2011, 08:18 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

01-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This sure is a whiny pointless thread. If the situation is so dire, and every k5 bought is being returned, why hasn't the price dropped to $1100 yet? Because people are still buying them, and in the case of a lemon it can be returned or replaced, just like any other defective product. Mine had a stain, it was replaced outside the store's return policy without problem, and the new unit has been great. The k20 certainly is a great camera, but the k5 trumps it in every aspect. So buck up, I am sure you'll be able to find them for $900 used by the end of the year.
01-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I recommended the K-5 to a friend. He ordered two (one after the other) which he returned because of the stain issue. Then I told him to wait until a batch of stain-free cameras hits the stores--but, frankly, I['m in a very uncomfortable position right now. Hence my 'whining'.
01-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Mr Don is just venting his frustrations, like many here have done, and many more exhibit in their own privacy. The word I find most appropriate is "Disappointed". No use beating Wheatfields Dead Horse but no use in trying to hide the horse either.

How this all works out is yet to be determined, and there can be little doubt that it is not helping sales of the K5 or Pentax in general. Every Dealer that is having to handle these returns and unhappy buyers is making notes and will be even more reluctant to handle the Pentax Brand in the future. There is no point in denying the negatives all this commotion has brought to Pentax, and Mr Don is just one voice of many that fills the vapors of the Internet.

Hoya needs to step up and respond with a positive message, and their continued failure to do so is only making matters worse. Maybe they don't have one? Silence is Golden? Not in the Marketplace.

Anyhow, I am not defending Mr Don....he is a long time Squirrel Hater, and if you guys can catch him and flame him into eternity, my Squirrels will be forever grateful!
Best Regards!
01-30-2011, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Inactive Account

It seems almost all of the major DSLR makers are experiencing problems and bugs with their newly released bodies. The D7000 seems to have new troubles popping up almost daily (albeit, much of it user error). I still read a ton of problems with the Canon 7D and that's a more mature body. Like many, I'm in the market for a new DSLR and have taken a keen interest in these problems. The only newer body that seems to not have many issues is the Canon 60D. The body I'm least interested in.

I suspect many of these QC issues stem from jamming the latest and greatest features and hardware into these bodies while trying to adhere to a strict release date. There is significant competition in this market segment and quickly releasing a product to match or exceed the competition seems to be priority over QC.

QC seems to be suffering with the major players in the DSLR market. I wonder if a smaller player like Pentax can withstand or sustain such a negative perception of the quality of their product. Thankfully they addressed the sensor stain issue, but the FF issue is still present. If they can quickly resolve this, I think that will go a long way towards improving the tainted quality perception they seem to be holding of late.

My personal stance...it seems Canon and Nikon are having similar gaffes, so I will cut Pentax some slack and give them time to address/resolve the issues before condemning them. Besides, the K-5 for example, really meets and exceeds what many of want in a DSLR. Now if they can just iron the bugs out.

My .02 if it's even worth that much.

Joe
01-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #14
Banned

Original Poster
Thank you, James. All I need, a few words of encouragement from a man who talks to tree rats. I guess I'll just have to "buck" up and go get me a K-5 at the end of the year when prices hit $900. Maybe by then, the QA and Customer Service gurus at Hoya/Pentax will have been put out to pasture and a new crop will be manning the barricades. Cheers. Don
01-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Hey, lay off the "tree rats" already! I rather like the little chattering furballs myself. In fact I like squirrels better than I like some people sometimes. At least they are cute and usually mannerly. ;P
Closed Thread