Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2011, 12:45 PM   #76

k5 freezing issue - two bodies

Hi all -
I wanted to check to see if anyone has issues with their K5 freezing up. I shoot TONS of sports - events where I may shoot for 15 hours in a day, pretty much non-stop. Obviously the camera/card combination can sometimes be slow, and the K5 just like the k10 and k20 show you an hourglass icon while you wait for the data to write. This freezing is not the same thing at all.

The camera locks up - you can't autofocus, take a shot, change any setting or even turn the camera off. It is like is it locked on. The only way I can manage to get it to work again is to pop the battery out (while the camera is still on!!! freaks me out!!) and pop it back in. I even had one entire ringette game's shots (300) somehow become invisible to my K5 and to light room after one freezing event! I had to buy card recovery software to get those shots back.

I have sent one body back, and I have used a rental body as well and it is freezing too......anyone have any input? For a split second I thought it could be the battery I was using, but the rental model I used this weekend froze twice, with both my own battery and the rental battery. The batteries I am using are the genuine Pentax ones......Kind of freaked out. Pretty sure this is pushing my over the edge and right into Nikon territory......even though I've shot with Pentax for maybe 12-13 years now......

Does anyone have any insight? Could I just be doing something silly?? My k10 and K20 didn't do this, and I haven't changed what or how I shoot.......AHHHH!

Help!

01-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #77
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes it happens to me too.

Happened twice in two months of active use. I do not use grip so it is camera issue. Can see how it might ruin fast action photography so i hope for ultimate patch.
01-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #78
Banned

Original Poster
Somebody please send this thread to Ned's boss in Marketing. Not as many fanboys as I had expected. In fact, there appear to be far too many members of the lemon saga than I had expected.
01-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shandie Quote
Hi all -
I wanted to check to see if anyone has issues with their K5 freezing up.
Check out this thread on the subject...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/130318-k5-frozen-problem.html

The K5 I had (before I sent it in to Pentax Canada service nearly a month ago... still waiting for a new one...) did have random freezeups. I was not able to duplicate the freezes and saw no patterns at all, they seemed really random.

Pat

01-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #80

After using mine for 2 weeks, I was shocked to find out that the only colour it came in was black. Lemon yellow would have been a perfect colour for it.

Last edited by Zugzwang; 01-31-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: grammar
01-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Rupert and Don:

01-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #82
Banned

Original Poster
Jeremy: Wonderful. A headless turkey. A direct correlation with your wit, mon ami, no doubt. LOL

01-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by donallison13 Quote
Somebody please send this thread to Ned's boss in Marketing. Not as many fanboys as I had expected. In fact, there appear to be far too many members of the lemon saga than I had expected.

82 posts in this thread, how many are complaints Don? (heck! 5 or 6 posts are yours anyway)
There are 31,194 members here at PF, you do the math.
01-31-2011, 06:21 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
82 posts in this thread, how many are complaints Don? (heck! 5 or 6 posts are yours anyway)
There are 31,194 members here at PF, you do the math.
One day he might actually hold the camera...
01-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #85

see this is the kind of BS some of y'all are subscribing to. a person makes a point, and yes, doesn't matter if it's been beat dead before--it's relevant because this camera is what, not even 4 months old? he's a potential buyer into the K-5, but is quite concerned with two issues. instead of assuaging his fears regarding his potential purchase, it's just a good ol' fashioned beat down and calling him names. nothing positive about that. 31k posters here does not make the entire DSLR community. and with the way things go about, hell, i wonder if more folks bother telling the forum here about their disappointment with the camera. i have the K-5, and wonderful camera that it maybe, i'm disappointed with the way things have played out since the release. it pains me to send away and wait for a replacement when i should be out taking pictures. i'm doing my best working around the flaws and you know what, had the K-5 not had the issues some folks are experience, it is a definite knock-out winner. let's not be deluded with respect to the flaws of the K-5--and let's engage a bit more positively please.

-raph
01-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I still have a hard time understanding how a person can be wrong in asking to get what he paid for, but reading these threads that is exactly what I hear over and over. If that is reasonable or logical, then we have a larger problem than just a defective camera.
It's gotten to the point where it isn't "asking".
This whole thing has become like a bunch of 4 year olds braying because they didn't get what they wanted for Christmas.
And you, my friend, have become as much of a broken record as the people you call deniers.
01-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This whole thing has become like a bunch of 4 year olds braying because they didn't get what they wanted for Christmas.
And you, my friend, have become as much of a broken record as the people you call deniers.
+1

http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Animals/Sound%20Effect%20-%20Turkey%20Gobble%2002.wav
01-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
I'm too busy having fun taking pictures with my "lemon" of a K-5.
Awesome camera.
+1 I love my K5
01-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shandie Quote
Hi all -
I may shoot for 15 hours in a day, pretty much non-stop. . . .
Is there a pro camera capable of withstanding this sort of extreme use? I wouldn't expect any Pentax camera to withstand this for very long, even though the K20D and K10D apparently did. Plumb lucky, I think. Anyway, if you intend to keep up with this kind of shooting, I think you should spend a ton on the best pro Canon or Nikon you can get your hands on.

Not criticizin', just sayin'.
01-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #90
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

You continue to prove my point that some will accept anything as long as it says Pentax on it and if it works or doesn't , that is only a secondary concern. We have several here admitting to defects and trying to defend them at the same time, and swearing they are insignificant...... but will get a new K5 when a repair for their "Perfect Camera" is available? If that is not Twisted Logic, I don't know what is? A survey of owners would not be in your favor, or you would be squealing for it. Sniping from the sidelines may give you some comfort, but the number of disgruntled owners grows larger with each passing day, and eventually the result will be insurmountable. Many Retailers are already fed up with the returns, and are advising potential buyers of the hassle they may face. You can blame me if you want to, but I haven't sent a thing back in this fiasco. I did send an SDM lens back once.....do you happen to recall that episode of "User Error"?
Regards
Closed Thread