Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2011, 11:09 PM   #91

I applaud Pentax for quickly acknowledging the stain problem and offering an immediate fix. Technology fails sometimes and it's not the end of the world. Their complete silence in the SDM issue, however, is seriously stupid and jepordizes future and current users. Wake up Pentax.

01-31-2011, 11:12 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think Pentaxl will ultimately make good on the K5 issues. What concerns me more is the impact this marketing fiasco will have on future of the Pentax brand. My sense is that Pentax needed the K5 to be a huge success, which it would have been had it not been riddled with QC issues. I am hoping that Pentax's bottom line can withstand all of the returns and repairs required to make customers whole and dare I say "happy"? I want Pentax to be a going concern well into the future, but I am concerned about purchasing any more of their equipement until the full impact the returns will have on their bottom line is known. I agree with a previous poster that the current K5 problems are likely not endearing Pentax to the retailers, who have to deal with all of the returns/exchanges.
01-31-2011, 11:27 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree about the importance of Pentax coming out and announcing any issues that might be happening with the current K-5. Kudos to them for announcing the "stain" issue though.

To reframe things in a positive light, at least you guys aren't professionally sports photographers purchasing the Canon 1D Mark III upon release only to find that it's autofocus tracking is inferior to lower end bodies in certain situations.... This was a very real phenomenon a few years ago. That camera was $5K btw.

While that issue was fixed, Canon took forever to acknowledge the problem fully and A LOT of people got pissed and switched to Nikon over it. Learn from Canon Pentax.
02-01-2011, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you know..I saw this thread few minutes after it was posted...and was writing a reply..which would have been the first, after the OP....but you know what..I deleted it, as I saw no value to my post or this thread...I honestly thought it might get one or two posts....but alas I was sorely wrong...its shame really..

Im finding myself being absorbed by this trend ...I even got stuck into a bloke in another thread ,calling him a troll.....and then he does a great post in a thread I started offering me good advice about the topic....what prat I feel, and a bit embarrassed .....I reckon this forum is breeding discontent....and I almost got sucked into it all.....NO more I say...no more...

for me now its off to interesting topics, posting photos for Critique, or self gratification. using my maligned and defective K5 to the best of my ability , and spread Joy to a world that needs Love....LMFAO...

Try it guys..Ive had some really good replies, to threads that might actually have some merit,,rather than this sort of crap....

02-01-2011, 04:25 AM   #95

It's Pentax that is breeding discontent. It's only crap until you get an SDM failure, or should I say multiple failures. Sign the petition.
02-01-2011, 05:53 AM   #96
Veteran Member

"and the K5 just like the k10 and k20 show you an hourglass icon while you wait for the data to write. This freezing is not the same thing at all."

Ummm the K10D and K20D don't show an hour glass. They have a orange light in the back that lights up when writing data to the card. I just tested my K20D to confirm this. With such extensive use why would you think they have an hour glass?
02-01-2011, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's gotten to the point where it isn't "asking".
This whole thing has become like a bunch of 4 year olds braying because they didn't get what they wanted for Christmas.
And you, my friend, have become as much of a broken record as the people you call deniers.
The 4 year olds are those childishly bleating on and on that those who have legitimate problems with their K-5 are whiners.

I log on here daily to a] see if there's been any announcements, and b] to discuss the issues.

I don't need any sycophant in diapers telling me I don't have a problem with my K-5

A FWIW I love my K-5, it's the best DSLR I've ever owned. But I want the AF to work.

Last edited by Smeggypants; 02-01-2011 at 07:41 AM.
02-01-2011, 07:35 AM - 2 Likes   #98
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe we can reach a point where we all get on the same page? Some of us are making enemies here, on both sides of the debate, and that is a shame, since we should all be wanting the best for all shooters. If you have a perfect K5 or don't, we should all want the same great experience for every buyer...... old shooter or new. A unified message to Pentax is our best hope of obtaining that goal.
I'm hanging in there for a solution, and so are many others. This can be overcome, but we need to be united in our quest for a repair and not accept the same stonewalling as happened with SDM lenses. If my brother is hungry, so am I.
Best Regards
02-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #99

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I see a few, and they are few, that have what they at least claim are perfect K5's. By perfect, I mean they operate as specified by Pentax. Now I have no idea if they are indeed "Perfect" because their replies here indicate that we should be willing to accept inferior products in the name of "Progress". Maybe that is what they did and they want everyone else to do the same? They don't seem to want a survey of who has FF problems and who doesn't.......because they are the only Shooters to be qualified to answer that question, all the others, even long time Pro Shooters just don't know what they are doing. A guy with 20+ years of experience sends back 2, 3, 4 cameras? Has he done this with every camera for over 20 years?
Denial is a disease, and a lot here have a bad case of it. There are people out there, loyal Pentax shooters with major FF problems, and all they want is a repair or a notice that one is being prepared. There are others, like me that have thousands of dollars in Pentax gear that are anxious to buy the K5, but don't want to play Shipping Roulette. Those are being told that since we don't have the K5 we have no say. Which side do we believe? Well, it isn't the side where a shooter with a "Perfect" K5 admits he will send it back as soon as there is a repair for the Non-Existent focus issue. I suspect he is not alone in his group of deniers.

I still have a hard time understanding how a person can be wrong in asking to get what he paid for, but reading these threads that is exactly what I hear over and over. If that is reasonable or logical, then we have a larger problem than just a defective camera.
Regards
+2 for Rupert!
02-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #100

for Canadian Customers

I was breaking-in my new D-FA100 WR on the week-end at the Royal Botanical Garden. Awesome lens! Found-out however that I have a stained sensor, small dot right smack in the center with a very faint string of smaller dots to the left. Made sure it wasn't dust. Oh well... I reported previously I did not had the stain, but I guess it developped with time...
I have to mention here that it is absolutely not visible on anything else than Macro shots taken at F11 and smaller. But there it is in all my shots. Easy to PP out, but still...

Here are the good news:

Just got off the phone with Pentax Canada (Dan). Very nice fellow, he indicated that problem is known to them and that they are initiating a "mitigation" program. I am dropping off my camera body on Thursday with proof of purchase (I work a couple blocks from their Mississauga office) and, depending on the amplitude of the problem, they will either replace it or repair it. He also indicated that these are given priority for a quick turn around. Stay tuned!
Seems like we are getting some action here...

Gene
02-01-2011, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #101
Veteran Member

xGene, I just noticed you have a typo in your lens-list signature. Look at the 43 Ltd.
02-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
He also indicated that these are given priority for a quick turn around.
I hate to tell you this, but Pentax Canada has had my K5 for nearly a MONTH and I am still waiting for a replacement... so much for "quick" turn around.

I also got flowery words and promises when I first contacted them, but there seems to be a world of a difference between what they say and what they do.

Pat
02-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I hate to tell you this, but Pentax Canada has had my K5 for nearly a MONTH and I am still waiting for a replacement... so much for "quick" turn around.

I also got flowery words and promises when I first contacted them, but there seems to be a world of a difference between what they say and what they do.

Pat
Welcome to the club Pat... same sh#t here.... Dropped-off the camera at Simon's on the 3rd... haven't heard from them ever since... E-mail Pentax to find out what's going on, but they haven't found anything from Simon's... go figure... it's just getting better and better....
02-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #104

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote

Pat
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Welcome to the club Pat... same sh#t here.... Dropped-off the camera at Simon's on the 3rd... haven't heard from them ever since... E-mail Pentax to find out what's going on, but they haven't found anything from Simon's... go figure... it's just getting better and better....
Geez guys... OK... I'm perplexed now. But FWIW, when I returned my 50-135SDM (twice), the first time it was an "on-the-spot" replacement, the second time they repaired it within a week. Excellent service in my book... On the other hand I can understand that they may have a shortage of new sensors currently, and maybe even short of new bodies due to this "recall" situation. At least you know it will get fixed, eventually.

Gene
02-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
xGene, I just noticed you have a typo in your lens-list signature. Look at the 43 Ltd.
Thanks Mate. +1 for telling me. Corrected and also added the D-FA100WR

Gene
Closed Thread