Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #106
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
I was breaking-in my new D-FA100 WR on the week-end at the Royal Botanical Garden. Awesome lens! Found-out however that I have a stained sensor, small dot right smack in the center with a very faint string of smaller dots to the left. Made sure it wasn't dust. Oh well... I reported previously I did not had the stain, but I guess it developped with time...
I have to mention here that it is absolutely not visible on anything else than Macro shots taken at F11 and smaller. But there it is in all my shots. Easy to PP out, but still...

Gene
I can't and won't speak on Pentax Canada so I removed it from the quote. As for your camera (or anyone else's) growing the stain however,

That's photo number 3217. It is the first time I ever saw it. It was taken at f22 with a flash using a 28mm f2.0 lens. If it were just a String or a simple spot, I would still be using my k5 today (and waiting to send it in). That however is more than I care to process out. It is larger than shown and due to the black background, the rest simply cannot be seen. New, out of the box, that did not show, in any condition at any aperture.

I would be More concerned about a replacement 'growing' a stain than it being there to begin with. I don't know if it shows up due to Time, or Use. If it is use and if I were just a casual user, taking only a few photos per day (as I am some months), What happens when the warranty is expired (because that's the terms Pentax is handling this under) and the camera 'grows' the stain?

I have Never returned anything to Pentax and never had the need to. I'm the first to look for user error when something goes wrong, even in my own case. This camera was nearly $1600 out of the gate for the body alone. For HoyaTax to offer anything but the fastest possible service on this is on the unacceptable side for me.

As to the SDM thing, I still think they could have very easily offered a Patch at the least to enable the screw drive for those who want to use it. The fact they had to issue a FW release on the K10d just to turn On SDM, tells me it could be done. People with failed lenses still wouldn't have been ecstatic about losing SDM but at least they could still Use the lenses to auto-focus.

I'm with Rupert on this one (and that doesn't always happen). I paid the money, I expect to get what I paid for.

02-01-2011, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #107
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Good to see someone is on old Rupert's side.....at least a little! I have said what there is to say on SDM, but I do want to make it clear that the DA*50-135 is a Superb lens, and even if it was total MF I would want it. My Nokton 58MM is all manual, and that does not reduce its value for high IQ. Speaking only for its deliverance of top quality at almost any part of its range, the 50-135 is a true winner. This is what is so frustrating....like the K5, it is "almost" perfect.

DA*50-135 yesterday.....
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards
02-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #108

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I can't and won't speak on Pentax Canada so I removed it from the quote. As for your camera (or anyone else's) growing the stain however, That's photo number 3217. It is the first time I ever saw it. It was taken at f22 with a flash using a 28mm f2.0 lens. If it were just a String or a simple spot, I would still be using my k5 today (and waiting to send it in). That however is more than I care to process out. It is larger than shown and due to the black background, the rest simply cannot be seen. New, out of the box, that did not show, in any condition at any aperture.

I would be More concerned about a replacement 'growing' a stain than it being there to begin with. I don't know if it shows up due to Time, or Use. If it is use and if I were just a casual user, taking only a few photos per day (as I am some months), What happens when the warranty is expired (because that's the terms Pentax is handling this under) and the camera 'grows' the stain?

I have Never returned anything to Pentax and never had the need to. I'm the first to look for user error when something goes wrong, even in my own case. This camera was nearly $1600 out of the gate for the body alone. For HoyaTax to offer anything but the fastest possible service on this is on the unacceptable side for me.

As to the SDM thing, I still think they could have very easily offered a Patch at the least to enable the screw drive for those who want to use it. The fact they had to issue a FW release on the K10d just to turn On SDM, tells me it could be done. People with failed lenses still wouldn't have been ecstatic about losing SDM but at least they could still Use the lenses to auto-focus.

I'm with Rupert on this one (and that doesn't always happen). I paid the money, I expect to get what I paid for.

Holy Stain Batman!
I would venture saying that you probably win first price for worse case... I have about 5% of what you're showing there and it's bugging me...
However, as I said earlier, Hoya is probably experiencing a shortage of "good" parts currently, hence the slow turn around... Not trying to find excuses, but rather a rationale... Same here... I did "look for" the stain back in December after 1 month of shooting. Couldn't find anything. Then last week-end...

I agree with your assessement of the SDM snafu. I had my DA*50-135 replaced, then fixed (plus a DA*16-50 with a failed SDM as well, fixed). It would have been easier to swallow the pill if the screw-drive was functional, but... anyway, old topic. Both are amazing lenses however, optically.

BTW, is that a Fender Jaguar? vintage? Looks like it's in great shape! Like the
color too. I have a 57 Strat, 2 tone sunburst with "v" neck myself... It needs a paint job but still plays great!
02-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Jeff, I'd have to agree, that's about as bad a stain as I've seen so far.

My stain grew a little over time (though not that bad) and I just returned it last week. It was the 2nd K-5 I owned (the first was returned for a sensor stain as well). Now I'm in the same boat, wondering if the third time is the charm or if I should hold off and wait to see how things play out with the bodies that Pentax claims are "clean".

02-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #110
Veteran Member

I can't and won't speak on Pentax Canada so I removed it from the quote. As for your camera (or anyone else's) growing the stain however,

That's photo number 3217. It is the first time I ever saw it. It was taken at f22 with a flash using a 28mm f2.0 lens. If it were just a String or a simple spot, I would still be using my k5 today (and waiting to send it in). That however is more than I care to process out. It is larger than shown and due to the black background, the rest simply cannot be seen. New, out of the box, that did not show, in any condition at any aperture.

whats the serial Jeff?...is it a 38xxx ?
02-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I still reckon my first K5 holds that record...
02-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #112

Forgot to mention: Mine is serial 3858xxx, early batch.
That's pretty bad jthommo... Curious though that these at least always appear almost dead center...

02-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #113

+3 for rupert

stunning pic!

-raph
02-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #114
Pentaxian

I've had a K10D for over 3 years...I don't have difficulty with the AF...didn't realize it was a 'problem' till this thread.

When photographing wildlife in forests, I sometimes put the K10D...even my KM onto manual focus...to avoid the lens 'hunting' through tree limbs/ branches.

I've owned and used slr's, dslr's, 35 rangefinders and medium formats for over 40 years.

I think my long experience might make the difference.

But some of the stains I see with the K5 on this thread certainly give me cause for concern. I was thinking of eventually getting a K5...but I don't know..will have to see if this continues to be an issue.

But as the sensor is made by Sony...wouldn't that QC also be a Sony issue...also maybe a Nikon 7000 problem as I think this sensor is also used in that model.

Could be wrong, open to clarification.

Last edited by lesmore49; 02-01-2011 at 02:23 PM.
02-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #115
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Good to see someone is on old Rupert's side.....at least a little! I have said what there is to say on SDM, but I do want to make it clear that the DA*50-135 is a Superb lens, and even if it was total MF I would want it. My Nokton 58MM is all manual, and that does not reduce its value for high IQ. Speaking only for its deliverance of top quality at almost any part of its range, the 50-135 is a true winner. This is what is so frustrating....like the K5, it is "almost" perfect.

DA*50-135 yesterday.....
[/url] [/IMG]

Best Regards
Well, Rupert, Lacie could make a lens made from coke bottle bottoms look good. It doesn't hurt that you've been getting in a lot of practice as of late. I agree though the DA* lenses are hard to beat for image quality, even in the manual focus realm. My 16-50 is intermittent at the time and I debated sending it with the K5. Since I'm going to have to pay to have the lens fixed however, I chose to wait on that.

QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote

BTW, is that a Fender Jaguar? vintage? Looks like it's in great shape! Like the
color too. I have a 57 Strat, 2 tone sunburst with "v" neck myself... It needs a paint job but still plays great!
Yes, It's a Jaguar. Not vintage. My original hunt was for a 1963 but the price point was too painful. Don't ever tell me where that 57 Stratocaster is kept, You may not have it for very long . Check out my albums for more of the collection.

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote

My stain grew a little over time (though not that bad) and I just returned it last week. It was the 2nd K-5 I owned (the first was returned for a sensor stain as well). Now I'm in the same boat, wondering if the third time is the charm or if I should hold off and wait to see how things play out with the bodies that Pentax claims are "clean".
Here's hoping. I dropped it at UPS yesterday and intend to use the hell out of the replacement / repair before the warranty expires. Up until that photo, I though myself one of the lucky ones.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
whats the serial Jeff?...is it a 38xxx ?
Yes. Probably from one of the first production runs.

QuoteOriginally posted by jthommo Quote
I still reckon my first K5 holds that record...
Some of that looks more like dirt to me. With the exception of one of the spots in the center grouping (the one with the halo around it), this appears to be on the Front of the sensor AA glass.

02-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #116
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Not looking to stir up more trouble, there is already plenty, but that does bring up a question that is concerning me. Where are these returns going? I was in Wolf once and a guy brought in a Canon that had some problems with the ISO settings changing without notice and in the wrong mode for auto. He demonstrated the problem, the Sales Mgr agreed and after some testing he gave him a new one. The guy left and as I was wandering about in the store, I noticed the Mgr was repackaging and in minutes it was back o the shelf.

Without a recall what is the guarantee these cameras won't float around until they are/aren't finally returned to Pentax instead of just exchanged. Some have already reported getting replacements with a good number of shots already on the camera....and the stains again. Without getting a high Serial #, how will anyone know what to expect?
Regards
02-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #117
Inactive Account

If I were a betting man, and I sometimes am, I would say that some of these replacements (used with stains), were simply recycled through some store's inventory. As to HoyaTax getting the cameras back, I would guess (but would not bet), they will show up as refurbished units after they've been repaired.

02-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Not looking to stir up more trouble, there is already plenty, but that does bring up a question that is concerning me. Where are these returns going? I was in Wolf once and a guy brought in a Canon that had some problems with the ISO settings changing without notice and in the wrong mode for auto. He demonstrated the problem, the Sales Mgr agreed and after some testing he gave him a new one. The guy left and as I was wandering about in the store, I noticed the Mgr was repackaging and in minutes it was back o the shelf.

Without a recall what is the guarantee these cameras won't float around until they are/aren't finally returned to Pentax instead of just exchanged. Some have already reported getting replacements with a good number of shots already on the camera....and the stains again. Without getting a high Serial #, how will anyone know what to expect?
Regards
Rupert, I'm curious. Why have you got this mad obsession about the K5 - you've never seen one, touched one, used one, yet you go on and on ad nauseum about what other people claim. People who claim problems, that is, not about those who have good units.

You would have credibility if you spoke from experience. At the moment, you have none.

Dan described you as Don Quixote, barking mad and tilting at windmills. He was right.
02-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #119
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jthommo Quote
Rupert, I'm curious. Why have you got this mad obsession about the K5 - you've never seen one, touched one, used one, yet you go on and on ad nauseum about what other people claim. People who claim problems, that is, not about those who have good units.

You would have credibility if you spoke from experience. At the moment, you have none.

Dan described you as Don Quixote, barking mad and tilting at windmills. He was right.
Neither one needs it but I'm going to step out onto the plank here. They (Rupert and Don and others) are "obsessed" about it because they would Like to buy one but want to be sure the issues are resolved before sinking the cash. The fact, and it IS fact, that outside of the NYC area, one cannot easily lay their hands on a K5 before purchasing, it isn't unreasonable to hope for a non issue camera. The camera Has issues, whether manifested in all of them or not, Murphy gives odds of getting the proverbial lemon. I'll be the first to say, if it happens, deal with it then (as I am), but if I had known Then, what I know Now, I likely would have waited too. It's only been a day and I'm already missing my K5.

02-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #120
Veteran Member

Neither one needs it but I'm going to step out onto the plank here. They (Rupert and Don and others) are "obsessed" about it because they would Like to buy one but want to be sure the issues are resolved before sinking the cash. The fact, and it IS fact, that outside of the NYC area, one cannot easily lay their hands on a K5 before purchasing, it isn't unreasonable to hope for a non issue camera. The camera Has issues, whether manifested in all of them or not, Murphy gives odds of getting the proverbial lemon. I'll be the first to say, if it happens, deal with it then (as I am), but if I had known Then, what I know Now, I likely would have waited too. It's only been a day and I'm already missing my K5.

They are doing themselves no credit by endlessly whining about problems of which they have no knowledge. A better course of action might be to watch the forums and the posts from those of us who have the K5 and when they judge the time is right go out and buy.

My experience? First K5: badly stained sensor, no FF or flash problems.

Second K5: all OK.
Closed Thread