Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lincolnshire
Photos: Albums
Posts: 23
K5 sync wireless syn speeds with Metz 58AF1

I own the Metz 58af1 flash does anyone know what the max shutter speed is for use off the camera using wireless transmitters. The tests I have done seem to be 180th but I can only get it to work as a slave. I tried to use the hss mode but the flash refused to fire when used with wireless, when I reverted back to slave mode on the flash it worked, any advice on this flash and usage with the K5 will be gratefully received

01-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
1/180 is the limit. I don't remember for certain because it's been awhile since I tried it but I Think you can go HSS with a shoe mounted flash as the controller. That won't help with your wireless triggers though because you are dealing with x sync.

01-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perth Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,511
1/180 is limit with my setup currently which is af1 58 metz and onboard k-5 flash as trigger.
01-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Senior Member
jrforman's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 202
QuoteOriginally posted by myeates Quote
I own the Metz 58af1 flash does anyone know what the max shutter speed is for use off the camera using wireless transmitters. The tests I have done seem to be 180th but I can only get it to work as a slave. I tried to use the hss mode but the flash refused to fire when used with wireless, when I reverted back to slave mode on the flash it worked, any advice on this flash and usage with the K5 will be gratefully received
High Speed Sync isn't possible in wireless mode (as you discovered). Only P-TTL is allowed in wireless. The flash can't be used as a dumb slave (firing on manual when primary flash fires) either. Only way to get HSS is with flash extension cord.


Last edited by jrforman; 01-30-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: clarify
02-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
Senior Member
C-Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 113
You can do HSS wireless if you have a shoe mount flash on the camera as controller. I often do this with the 360 on camera and the 540 off camera. Unfotunately you are limeted to line of sight with this set up since radio triggers will limit you to 1/180. I have been bugging the guys at Radio Popper for a while now to work on making their PX system compatible with Pentax gear as this would allow HSS at greater distances outside....
02-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
Senior Member
jrforman's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 202
QuoteOriginally posted by C-Factor Quote
You can do HSS wireless if you have a shoe mount flash on the camera as controller. I often do this with the 360 on camera and the 540 off camera. Unfotunately you are limeted to line of sight with this set up since radio triggers will limit you to 1/180. I have been bugging the guys at Radio Popper for a while now to work on making their PX system compatible with Pentax gear as this would allow HSS at greater distances outside....
I don't think that HSS wireless is possible on the Metz 58-AF1, at least with the Metz being the slave (probably will work with Metz being the controller and Pentax flash as slave but don't know). Or am I missing something (which happens often).
02-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
What you are missing is that you are wrong because, It does work.



1/640 second. Pentax 540 controller, Metz 58 slave.

Don't get too hung up on the photo itself, it's taken with an IR modded camera.

02-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
Senior Member
jrforman's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 202
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
What you are missing is that you are wrong because, It does work.


Thanks. I stand corrected. I'll try it latter today.

02-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
Just make sure you have your control flash set for HSS. With this combo, line of sight rules still apply. That is the reason for my original statement about radio triggers being better for some applications. That line of sight doesn't necessarily have to be direct, all that is required is that the slave flash sees the signal.

02-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
Senior Member
C-Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 113
Just don't put yourself in a position where you need to rely on the wireless line of sight system in an important shoot. It is so inconsistent outside and the brighter the ambient light the more interference you get with the system. I shot a wedding in December and set up a light stand with the 540 and 45" umbrella for fill on some outside posed shots. I was relying on the line of sight system, which was a very bad idea..Unfortunately, I missed some great shots. Ordering radio pobber Jrx system soon, but unfortunately it is limited to the cameras syc speed. Considering getting a Nikon D700 to have in addition to my Pentax gear to take advantage of HSS on a radio system like Radio Popper or the new Flex POcket Wizards.
02-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
Senior Member
jrforman's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 202
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Just make sure you have your control flash set for HSS. With this combo, line of sight rules still apply. That is the reason for my original statement about radio triggers being better for some applications. That line of sight doesn't necessarily have to be direct, all that is required is that the slave flash sees the signal.

Thanks again. It worked well. A friend told me it wouldn't work and when I had tried it before I don't believe I had the control in HSS. I am now smarter.

But since you are in the know, am I correct that you have to have an external flash on the hot shoe acting as a controller (the built in won't work), right?

And the Metz won't work as a "dumb" (non-P-TTL) slave flash, right?
02-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Thanks again. It worked well. A friend told me it wouldn't work and when I had tried it before I don't believe I had the control in HSS. I am now smarter.

But since you are in the know, am I correct that you have to have an external flash on the hot shoe acting as a controller (the built in won't work), right?

And the Metz won't work as a "dumb" (non-P-TTL) slave flash, right?
I'm not sure I know what a Dumb slave flash it. If you mean will it fire as a slave using the built in flash, yes, it will but I don't think that's what your asking.

For the HSS Sync in wireless, yes. An external shoe mounted flash is required (that supports both HSS and Wireless). It would be nice if they gave us HSS with the built in flash but they haven't so we have what we have.

02-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
Senior Member
jrforman's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 202
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I'm not sure I know what a Dumb slave flash it. If you mean will it fire as a slave using the built in flash, yes, it will but I don't think that's what your asking.

Sorry I wasn't clear. What I mean is (lets see if I can be clear), that the flash will fire in a manual setting being triggered optically from any flash. So for example, I can use my old Pentax AF-500FTZ as a slave (has that setting), setting the light power manually. I use this a lot when I use radio triggers and don't have enough triggers for every flash.
02-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
I think the remote still works in P-TTL but what you can do is dial the flash compensation from plus to minus 3. You can also turn on the second reflector and adjust that from 1/4 to full output (assuming you've tilted the head). Rear curtain will work as well if you want to use it as well as a couple other things. But, even setting the mode to Manual first, P-TTL seems to take over. How that works and what works may be different on other platforms. My comments here and above apply only to the Pentax version.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, flash, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, metz, mode, pentax k-5, slave
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
yongnuo rf 602 sync speeds Deiberson Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 18 01-12-2011 04:57 AM
wireless trigger sync speed Ed n Georgia Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 03-17-2010 04:14 PM
Metz 58 wireless not working? Metz 48 works great? Ideas? ksignorini Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 6 02-07-2010 05:33 PM
Metz 48 AF-1 sync problems? L(2) Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 30 12-07-2009 10:02 AM
K7 with Metz 58AF1 WL - Problem sixstring Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 1 12-02-2009 05:33 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:13 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top