Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Replacement for the K5 in the Spring?

I was thinking about the K5 and the duration of a model before a new generation comes out and have a feeling that we might see a new improved version in the Spring. Or will it be called a K5, but with some major internal improvements?

Any thoughts out there?

Just a bit of my speculation...

01-31-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Usually a Pentax of the superior level (K10-K20-K7) lasts 17 months, while a base level (K100-Km-Kx) lasts just 12 months. Having the K-5 been presented at Photokina in September 2010, I guess it will last until February 2012.
01-31-2011, 01:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I was thinking about the K5 and the duration of a model before a new generation comes out and have a feeling that we might see a new improved version in the Spring. Or will it be called a K5, but with some major internal improvements?

Any thoughts out there?

I was thinking the same thing, not as a way of introducing new features, particularly, but as a way of saying the QC on this successor of hte K5 has had proper QC. Of course they couldn't say it that way in marketing, they would have to say its "refined" or something.

So the new model could be called K5s as Nikon would do, or K5 MkII as Canon would do, Otherwise there is going to be these endless questions of wether this specific cam. has the stain, FF or not, etc ad nauseum. just speculation on my part as well.
01-31-2011, 01:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting to ponder. I wonder if they will price it $300-400 higher than the rest of the competing models as they did the K-5?

Jason

01-31-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
Inactive Account

k5s

double the buffer, add manual video controls, AF in video, tethering = sell a busload of cameras
01-31-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
k5s

double the buffer, add manual video controls, AF in video, tethering = sell a busload of cameras
...and a great way of turning the page on the sensor debacle...
01-31-2011, 01:38 AM   #7
Inactive Account

...and a great way of turning the page on the sensor debacle...
I wouldn't call it a debacle ... they apologized now and everyone gets a new unit
next time, just detect it and act upon it sooner Pentax!

01-31-2011, 02:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If I was a K-5 owner and Pentax released a new K-5s with the improvements listed above so soon, I'd feel awfully slighted.

Jason
01-31-2011, 04:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
If I was a K-5 owner and Pentax released a new K-5s with the improvements listed above so soon, I'd feel awfully slighted.

Jason
While I'll admit to going K10 - K20 - K7 - K5, this time I won't upgrade. The K5 is a very good camera. Unless there is some feature on the K5 you can't live without, I think anyone's money would be better spent on lenses.
01-31-2011, 04:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

No, the next K-5 will be a Silver edition, external cosmetical change but with same internals as before. Only update will be through firmware.
01-31-2011, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Of course there's not going to be a replacement for the K-5 this spring. Not only does that go totally against Pentax's previous history (new flagship every 16 months), but no manufacturer replaces their flagship camera in only half a year, no matter how many complaints they get. That is a money losing game (not to mention extremely bad publicity), and no one, not even the big players like Canikon, or Sony who loves to flood the market with barely differentiated cameras, does that, let alone Pentax which is probably strained just to keep its current 4 lines open. They don't even do that in the P&S realm, where they release minimally different "new" versions every year and with far more buyers willing to toss out last year's "outdated" model.

Hardware manufacturing is a major monetary investment, and for something as big as a flagship model you must make a significant return on that investment or you're going down. It is not software where you can just print a new version on a CD and toss it out there. Heck, even in commercial software, you don't see major releases more often than maybe once a year, even if there are major complaints and bugs. They release minor updates and bug fixes until their standard release schedule cycles through the same as always. That's because for all products, you always start out deeply in the red. Only after having the product on the market for an extended period of time do you start to recover your investment and make a profit. That's the idea behind a release cycle. Aborting it early means you stay in the red and lose it all.

Even complete disasters like the Xbox 360 RROD (which was much more serious for Microsoft than the K-5 issues are for Pentax) did not result in a new product. Just free warranty service and a quiet replacement of some faulty internal components (sound familiar?). No "RROD-free 360 Super Edition". There's no way to tell whether the 360 you have (other than the slim) has the new parts except by taking it apart, or extrapolating from the manufacture date. And this is Microsoft with tens of billions of dollars in liquid cash to spend, let alone a tiny subsidiary like Pentax which desperately needs to prove to its parent company that it can generate a profit on its own.

People whined about how the K-7 had horrible AF and the sensor sucked compared to the K-x. People speculated about a "K-7 Super" (K-7 with K-x sensor and other updates), and claimed there would be a huge market for it. 12 months after the K-x was released, it still never happened. Pentax followed the same 16 month flagship cycle. Anyone with any business sense would do the same, otherwise you're just throwing away your investment for minimal potential gain.

Last edited by Cannikin; 01-31-2011 at 05:49 AM.
01-31-2011, 06:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Ben, I think you are right, we'll see an update in Spring. Spring 2012!

Actually, IMHO, a K-5 with its 3 major bugs fixed (stains done, focus in progress, flash hopefully not ignored) would be an awfully decent camera not needing replacement for a long time. Better let it mature than hunt for the next buggy release
01-31-2011, 06:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I think Pentax will continue with the K-5 on it's 18 month cycle, but that it will become a mid-level camera when a new camera above the K-5 using the new 24Mp Sony sensor that will also be used in the Nikon D400 and the Sony A77 is released in the this summer or fall. THis will finally give Pentax a three teir dslr camera system,
01-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Not news.
moving to K5 forum.
01-31-2011, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

Any thoughts out there?

YES. I asked my wife, who is somewhat of an expert in the science of meaningless speculation, and she said the likelihood of a new model, probably a K5a, is very high. Expect a release date of May 5, 2011. Special upgrade pricing for all existing K5 owners will be provided.