Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I think I might want to wait for him to release a final version to see if that bug gets worked out. Any chance of there being a version for ipad? Or do those just not have enough computing power? That would be sweet in the field.
An iPad release would mean rewriting the whole thing in Objective-C. Seeing as he is keeping this closed source, I doubt it will happen. There is a Linux tethering app out there people can download and use as a reference to making an iPad app. I've tossed around the idea of using that for an Android app, but I don't think I would want to dedicate the time for it.

03-15-2011, 04:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think I might want to wait for him to release a final version to see if that bug gets worked out. Any chance of there being a version for ipad? Or do those just not have enough computing power? That would be sweet in the field.
A modern ARM CPU is plenty poweful for handling some USB traffic and running an UI so there should be no absolute reason why not (provided the iPad has a USB host interface?). Running something like this on a tablet sounds very handy, albeit maybe too niche for that to happen. I wonder whether there would be enough customers to keep an one man (developer) show going.
03-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
iPad/iPhone doesn't have USB hosting (the camera is a client) AFAIK. Android doesn't either unless you root it and then it has to have the driver for your device if it's not a mass storage device.
03-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Well, as awesome as ipad tethering would be for any kind of out-of-the-studio work, I gotta believe it'll happen eventually if it is at all possible. Of course, it'll probably just be for the evil twins, not us.

10-06-2011, 05:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bjsmith Quote

Fedora 15 is possibly coming with the Mono 4.0 pre-release, so I might try building the software and seeing what is required for support. If it's just common USB controls, and possibly some generic video overlay, it might just work with a few changes. I mean, if it works on all Windows versions, then it's not using any NT6-only (Vista/7-only) video overlay. So Mono 4 likely has the equivalent SDL/V4L (Simple DirectMedia Layer / Video4Linux) calls to support such.
Any luck with Fed 15?
10-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #21
Inactive Account

K7 tethering

I'm amazed that tethering has been available on my K7 without Pentax ever mentionning anything about it !!! I was starting to think that I would have to switch to Canon or Nikon. I even wrote Pentax about this feature. They said it just would not happen !? If Thomasz Kos managed to write an APP to make my K7 tether able, then it is not a firmware issue! So, what about Pentak working with or asking Adobe to put tethering support on Lightroom ? I will ask Pentax/Ricoh about this, and I think everybody should ask Pentax/Ricoh. Oh, yes I will donate to PK_Tether author Thomasz Kos, Thank you Thomas. 2 thumbs down to Pentax !
11-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #22
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just answered a thread about PTP - is this the same thing? PTP is listed in the K5 menu (as a choice between MSC and PTP) but when you turn on the camera, it's dead - no response - and obviously PTP is not supported but is on the K20D!
Any ideas ...I'm using mac.