Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Pentax AF saga continues?

But it aint a bad report. This has got to be the best AF system I have ever seen. I only shoot wildlife, in the earrrrly mornings and late evenings. And I tell you this system is better than i ever imanaged.
I had pretty much written off a 300mm f2.8 lens because of poor AF on Pentax cameras. It was really a night mare to use. Hunting, racking back and forth, missing more than it hit.. Not with the K-5. It has reintroduced me back to the joys of shooting fast glass. It is fast, hits most of the time dead on. Very little racking back and forth.

And Raw, what i only shoot in. Is the best. Conversion of raw with the Pentax software is very efficient and sharp. Loosing very little detail.

Pentax has been a bigggg dissapointment for me until this k-5. I am a lucky shit. I bought into the idea and now it is paying off. With light weight, extremly sharp primes. Sigma.

I am in love with this marvel in engineering.
Here are a few shots from this morning with split second timing and perfect accuracy.

Attached Images

Last edited by garyk; 02-01-2011 at 01:33 AM.
02-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Great photo and thanks to a positive report but you can be sure soomebody will come and complain in your post
Not me, I have the K-5 and It's a great machine
02-01-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Great photo and thanks to a positive report but you can be sure soomebody will come and complain in your post
they should be automatically redirected to the "the I can`t be happy with my camera" thread

very nice and sharp pics indeed garyk
02-01-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well i have put up many posts about the sorry Pentax. But i think the k-5 is really a winner for me. Fits like a glove.
I have no complaints what so ever. Never thought i would say that, hmmmm.

02-01-2011, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Don't mean to send the thread south... but I'm getting tired if seeing birds of squirrels... would be nice to see some test shots with boobs for a change...

Nice shots otherwise... Is it the Sigma's 300/2.8?
02-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Excellent photos! Thanks for starting this thread....very refreshing in light of some of the other discussions!
02-01-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Don't mean to send the thread south... but I'm getting tired if seeing birds of squirrels... would be nice to see some test shots with boobs for a change...
I concur.
02-01-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
But it aint a bad report. This has got to be the best AF system I have ever seen. I only shoot wildlife, in the earrrrly mornings and late evenings. And I tell you this system is better than i ever imanaged.
I had pretty much written off a 300mm f2.8 lens because of poor AF on Pentax cameras. It was really a night mare to use. Hunting, racking back and forth, missing more than it hit.. Not with the K-5. It has reintroduced me back to the joys of shooting fast glass. It is fast, hits most of the time dead on. Very little racking back and forth.
I couldn't agree more. I love the AF on my K-5. It's huge improvement on my K20D. Except below EV4 where the K20D beats it hands down.

02-01-2011, 07:10 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Whats with all this AF....
Check this site shorpy.com
Great pictures even from the Civil War era
What the hell kind of AF did they use, don't see many out of focus there !
02-01-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Whats with all this AF....
Check this site shorpy.com
Great pictures even from the Civil War era
What the hell kind of AF did they use, don't see many out of focus there !
Which Civil war? Any rate I bet they would have loved to have AF back then to capture some violent action
02-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No matter the complaints or not, those are excellent shots. I love the detail and color too. I am thinking that at some point the K5 and Bigma with OS HSM would be a perfect combination for my Squirrel and bird shooting.
You keep enjoying what you are doing, things will work out, but for you they already have! Enjoy it, that is why we shoot...shots like these.
Best Regards!
02-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #12
Forum Member

Great framing and pictures, but i would like to question that subtle haloed outline on all the focused subjects but the first one.
It is visible on the beak of the bird in the second one, on the leaves left of the bird in the third one and again on the back of the bird in the last one. Since I don't have a tele and yet not a Pentax DSLR (i'm saving for it) I'm not sure if it is for some kind of shake reduction feature or simply a JPG artifact.
It doesn't take anything from the pictures, I'm just curious
02-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aheadfordinci Quote
Great framing and pictures, but i would like to question that subtle haloed outline on all the focused subjects but the first one.
It is visible on the beak of the bird in the second one, on the leaves left of the bird in the third one and again on the back of the bird in the last one. Since I don't have a tele and yet not a Pentax DSLR (i'm saving for it) I'm not sure if it is for some kind of shake reduction feature or simply a JPG artifact.
It doesn't take anything from the pictures, I'm just curious
To me it looks like there was extra work done on the backgrounds to smooth them out, but not on the birds. Maby this is what you are seeing?

Anyway i have to agree.. i love the k5.

This shot was took at..
Camera Pentax K-5
Exposure 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture f/3.5
Focal Length 135 mm
ISO Speed 6400
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash Off, Did not fire

And it was also pushed around 1 stop. Pretty darn impressive.

02-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #14

Fantastic wedding shot Usuga.
If I was a guest, and not the groom in my up and coming wedding, I'd be totally excited about taking pics with my K-5... but alas... grooms aren't allowed to have a camera on the day
02-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by noons Quote
Fantastic wedding shot Usuga.
If I was a guest, and not the groom in my up and coming wedding, I'd be totally excited about taking pics with my K-5... but alas... grooms aren't allowed to have a camera on the day
Just recently married myself and my wife banned me from camera usage. That's ok, we ended up with three photographers (?!) so there were plenty of awesome pictures.