Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #1

K5 in shanghai?

hello all,

I'll be moving to Shanghai in April and was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to buy a K5. I am trying to decide if I should purchase one before I move from the US, or wait until I get to China. I'm not exactly sure how Internet purchasing would work in China. I'd like to make sure I can retain the warranty in case I get a "lemon". If I purchase from, say B&H before I move, then find out i receive a bad camera, will I still be able to return it under warranty if I am no longer in the US? Are there any reputable dealers in Shanghai that will give me an authorized warranty? Does anyone have experience in this type of scenario? I'm dying to get my K5, but if it will be better for me to wait until i move, that is not a problem.

Thanks for the help and I apologize for the newby question.

Regards

02-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Forum Member

guess they do. but it's in chinese no english version
PENTAX??-????-????
02-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the response. I did a google translate and figured out there are quite a few retailers for Pentax in Shanghai. It would be really nice to buy it in person, but I'm mostly concerned about warranty. Does anyone have experience with the Pentax International Warranty?

Thanks
02-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, I can answer wht happened with my K20D
I got it froma kinda' shady vendor in Shanghai. It had a problem with the policarbonate shell, so I decided to return it. The original vendor sent me to Pentax customer after sales service.

The address is easy to find if you have an Chinese friend.
They were very helpfull, extremely kind. They replaced my k20 immediatelly, and also gave me a Pentax camera bag as a present. (I can tell the bag is the best quality, I use it all the time in my DA*16-50 + flash setup). I'm pleased with the camera, and I was coming from a K200D, too. I remember I lost then some exceptional deals on limited primes, due to the lack of funds.

Octav

02-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
The address is easy to find if you have an Chinese friend.
They were very helpfull, extremely kind. They replaced my k20 immediatelly, and also gave me a Pentax camera bag as a present. (I can tell the bag is the best quality, I use it all the time in my DA*16-50 + flash setup). I'm pleased with the camera, and I was coming from a K200D, too. I remember I lost then some exceptional deals on limited primes, due to the lack of funds.

Octav
Thanks, Octav. That's good to hear. I do have some Chinese friends and I have managed to do a fairly decent job of mapping things in Shanghai. Could you get me that address when you get a chance? I appreciate the help.
02-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's pretty easy to buy Pentax stuff in Shanghai, but K5 is cheaper in the US (online order of course).

Pentax China won't cover international warranty, so you'll have to think about this when you bring a US set to China.
02-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
ZTS
Inactive Account

Hi mccamp82,

It's pretty easy to buy pentax stuff in Shanghai. The info given by 'pentax user' is pretty useful and it lists several reliable vendors. The price is slightly cheaper in China, around or less than 1400USD, but please keep in mind that Pentax China may not provide or honor international warranty.

Regards,
ZTS
02-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks

Just to clarify: A) If I buy my camera in the US, it may or may not be cheaper, and it will not be covered by warranty in China. That being said, can I still ship the camera back to the US to have it fixed under warranty if needed? Or B) if I wait and buy my camera in Shanghai, it may or may not be cheaper, but will it be covered under a Chinese warranty? I'll be living in Shanghai for at least 2 years, so if there is a valid Pentax warranty available in China, i think I will probably wait and purchase there.

Thanks again for all the help!

02-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #9

Original Poster
Decided to....

....go ahead and get my K5 here in the US. In fact, I just ordered it from B&H and added the 2 year extended warranty for $19.95. I will be returning to the US every few months, so if something goes wrong and I need to get it fixed, I'll bring it back to the US and have it done here. I'll just keep my K200d as a backup so I won't be without a camera if the K5 messes up.

Thanks for the help.