Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Awesome K5 Price, anyone know if this website is legit?

http://www.goodwebu.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=131_145&sort=20a&page=1

02-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
stay clear the domain is registered by Shi Jian, who owns 122 other domains.

I would run as far away as I could, unless you don't mind risking over $1k.
02-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I would also advise staying away as there is no reason to believe it's even remotely legit.
02-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For a new body, and more with all those stains issuses, better to buy from a recognized retailer, that way you'll be sure your guarantee will stand and that you will be treated fairly and your problems solved fast.

02-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
Note taken, thanks.
02-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Scam sites are so obvious. here's the address. A housing estate fro those who don't want a garden

703 Cypresswood Ridge Spring Texas 77373 USA - Google Maps
02-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Twice I found great deals, and later found out that things like a battery, charger, cords, etc. were not included. They call you and try to add them to the price, and by the time you buy all the things to actually take pics, you spend more than going with a reputable dealer. I stick with B&H and Adorama.

02-04-2011, 04:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
Twice I found great deals, and later found out that things like a battery, charger, cords, etc. were not included. They call you and try to add them to the price, and by the time you buy all the things to actually take pics, you spend more than going with a reputable dealer. I stick with B&H and Adorama.
+1

Both vendors get my vote. I've been very happy with my purchases from them.
02-04-2011, 04:23 AM   #9

I've just had my K-5 replaced under warranty due to sensor stain. The dealer here in Australia said although Pentax had not published the range, there is a definitive list of serial numbers that are affected. I'd stick with a bricks and mortar seller, if you have a warranty issue, it will be less stressful.
02-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I just bought a tv from this website. I e-mailed them and received a response. Payment was by credit card through Paypal and he's verified. I think that if he was a crook he would not be able to keep the Paypal account. That right there makes me feel like it's legit and if I'm wrong I'm not out any money. I work at a pretty large company and there are a few coworkers watching the outcome so I guess I'm the guinea pig. If the tv arrives as advertised they will start buying.

I'm thinking that he may be based in Taiwan importing goods with someone here in the US. It could just be a home-based business. If they come though and deliver I will write a positive review.
02-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My rules of thumb for significant purchases (gaffers' tape doesn't count):

* Resellerratings.com. I'll let someone else take a chance on a USD $750 camcorder or $1,500 DSLR. I can afford those purchases. I cannot afford to take a large chance (on the money, warranty, packaging dispute, ship-the-wrong-item dispute, missing items dispute, etc. I'll wait for a rep to build. And yes, I know. If everyone did that ...... I'm rather risk averse. Others are not. Personal choice.

* No phone number, no sale. Mostly. Can't think of an exception. Perhaps Amazon itself? The Amazon Marketplace, OTOH, is a scary land.

* I will first call the numbers listed if the vendor does not have an established rep.

* If it's too good to be true .......

YMMV, of course.
02-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I'm a little worried about goodwebu.com I did make a purchase but it didn't send me straight to paypal to pay like all other sites and my biggest concern is I can not log in now.Every time I try it comes up with security error.Not sure whether to pay for it or cancel.
02-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'd certainly wait for a bit. None of this creates any confidence.
02-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Here is an update to my earlier post. I emailed goodwebu Friday to ask for a tracking number and I recieved a duplicate invoice through Paypal asking to be paid for the entire amount even though I already paid before. The invoice was exactly the same word for word but a different person sent it. I immediately opened a dispute and escalated it to a claim just to be safe. They may have sent the merchandise and this may be a mistake. If I do receive the item I will cancel the claim. If I've been ripped off I should get the money back in a couple of weeks.

They do business through Paypal but you order your items on their website and they e-mail you a Paypal invoice where you make a payment to them. The invoice clearly states the item you are purchasing and that it ships immediately upon receipt of payment. I have done business this way before, both in China and Japan and so far have been happy up until now. It's a shame because the tv I ordered was $200 cheaper on their site than anywhere else.

I would advise anyone considering making a purchase with them to hold off for a while. I will update the post when I get more information.
02-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #15

Original Poster
thanks for the posts guys, seems fishy I guess.