Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This guy again... (Nikon D7000 Trumps Pentax K5 guy)

For anyone who don't know who I'm referring to, here's the original video:

And now, he personally made a video to quote-in-quote "discuss" the Pentax stain issues here:

He does sound fairer in the newer video, but why in the world would he make a completely separate video about the K5 and focus only on the stain issues? It just seems like an half-bake attempt to lure more viewers to agree with him that the Nikon D7000 is the better choice of the two. If he likes his Nikon, then fine, but coming up with something like this is just making him look like a fanboy...

02-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
Forum Member

Why even post this? It's simply giving him the attention he is craving. Just ignore people like this.

That is one thing that Pentax fans seem to always do for some reason, always talk about the competition a lot. After hanging out with Canon people for a while, I realized they never even spoke outside anything Canon. It was kind of refreshing, not having them constantly compare their stuff to others.
02-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not trying to compare Pentax to anyone. I didn't say that the Nikon sucks for Canon sucks. If you find this irrelevant, why post here yourself?

oh right, because this is a forum, and we both have the option to post our opinions. why have a forum at all if we can't discuss anything? maybe that's why i hear people say that Pentax has a very strong community.

Maybe I am giving him more coverage, but from all the comments posted on his other video, it may at least give him and anyone who watch his videos a different point of view.
02-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It sounds to me like he is giving a fair report of the problem. No mention of the D7k at all. He actually compliments Pentax for being up front and doing all they can to fix it. Sure he has an annoying manner and voice, but this is nowhere near as bad as the previous k-5 v D7k rant

02-04-2011, 02:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I thought his previous video was absolutely ridiculous, and posted my criticism on Youtube.

However, I agree that objectively there really is nothing wrong with this video. Just a simple PSA that might even be of use to some people. Speculate as one will about "ulterior motives", but I'm all for not letting previous experiences cloud one's judgement and seeing things where they may or may not exist. Nothing in this particular video seems unfair or negative towards Pentax.

As a side note, I'm noticing a lot of comments around the internet and other forums that now actually have a more positive image of Pentax since they made the announcement. I'll admit I didn't expect that (figured we'd see some backlash).

Last edited by Cannikin; 02-04-2011 at 02:27 AM.
02-04-2011, 02:10 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Toivottavasti ei pahemaksi muutu K-5 irvistely.
02-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why don't you post a video response on YouTube that points out all the flaws in the K7000.

02-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I don't see any problem here? He didn't say anything we didn't already know. His first video was his opinion, and I haven't seen anything at Youtube that would prevent a response from a Pentax supporter pointing out the benefits of the K5 over the D7000, and there seem to be plenty of benefits if you do a side by side comparison.

I think we need more comparisons of all cameras, not less. I don't owe a damn dime to Pentax or any other Camera Maker, and they have never payed a single Bill for me or even bought me a cup of coffee. All of these Mfg's need to be pleasing us, not the other way around. If they do that and it is in a video, they sell more...if they don't....they don't. Sounds pretty simple to me? Where is the problem? Anyone can make a video and post it on Youtube....go for it!
Best Regards
02-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #9

If you go on YouTube to watch these videos, you will see in the comments that people reacting are not agreeing with him.
02-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty much he is just taking some of the more reasoned posts from this forum and condensed them into a video.
If he had really wanted to lambaste Pentax over the stain issue, there are a number of people who post here (repeatedly ad nauseum) on the K5 problems who have given a lot of very negative material for him to have drawn on if he had chosen to use it.
02-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I too, felt that the new video was more fair overall. However, speaking of ulterior motives, I really don't understand why he needs to make a dedicated video just to discuss the Pentax stain issue.

Here's my humble example: Imagine Hyundai comes out with an incredible sedan that trumps the Accord and the Camry according to many sources, and many people see it as a great achievement for the company. Then a video journalist who drives and like the Accord comes out and make a video stating that the accord clearly trumps the Hyundai, and then he gets massive backlash for it because he continue to use the same 2-3 explanations.

Now, some time has pass and it appears that Hyundai has a ABS issue due to corrupt software on some of its models. Hyundai has already annouced a public letter to the buyers and offer a free update of the software. And now, the same journalist, who has never wrote anythink Hyundai related, make a dedicated video about the ABS issue. Though fair as it may seem, it is just strange to see a mainly Honda journalist come out and discuss about Hyundai and only focuses on the ABS issue. Doesn't that raise your eye brows?
02-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Interesting...

I think this is a good analogy. It would be a way to draw attention to a competitors problems, in the hope it would put prospective buyers off. All in the aid of "reporting" and "freedom of speech". Its like a commercial form of politics, and effectively an indirect and subtle brand assassination.

I am unconvinced by the often held but naive view of "freedom of speech" defence. This defence is simplistic as it pretends business people have no agenda, every potential buyer won't be rattled. I have noticed it is often used by those whose intentions are less than honest, or are simply bullies.

To quote someone: "the degree of ruthlessness increases when the stakes get higher"

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
I too, felt that the new video was more fair overall. However, speaking of ulterior motives, I really don't understand why he needs to make a dedicated video just to discuss the Pentax stain issue.

Here's my humble example: Imagine Hyundai comes out with an incredible sedan that trumps the Accord and the Camry according to many sources, and many people see it as a great achievement for the company. Then a video journalist who drives and like the Accord comes out and make a video stating that the accord clearly trumps the Hyundai, and then he gets massive backlash for it because he continue to use the same 2-3 explanations.

Now, some time has pass and it appears that Hyundai has a ABS issue due to corrupt software on some of its models. Hyundai has already annouced a public letter to the buyers and offer a free update of the software. And now, the same journalist, who has never wrote anythink Hyundai related, make a dedicated video about the ABS issue. Though fair as it may seem, it is just strange to see a mainly Honda journalist come out and discuss about Hyundai and only focuses on the ABS issue. Doesn't that raise your eye brows?
02-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
Interesting...

Duplicate post, oops!

Last edited by Stefan Carey; 02-04-2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Duplicate post, oops
02-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Why even post this? It's simply giving him the attention he is craving. Just ignore people like this.

That is one thing that Pentax fans seem to always do for some reason, always talk about the competition a lot. After hanging out with Canon people for a while, I realized they never even spoke outside anything Canon. It was kind of refreshing, not having them constantly compare their stuff to others.

its the under dog syndrome....we always feel the need to reaffirm our decision to be with a small player..its the same the world over..

the report actually sounds well reasoned, and if anything a plus for pentax..as they have been man enough to own up....the reporter doesn't have any bias's in this example..it is news after all. and his youtube channel does profess to offer Photography news

Last edited by Tommot1965; 02-04-2011 at 07:17 PM.
02-04-2011, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm making myself a T-Shirt that says

"PENTAX - Dare to be different (and better)"