Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It should be a software problem.
This is my second body(exchanged for stains on sensor..), and the first one had no sound problems.
And more confusing, i have some videos made one month ago with the second body(FW1.01) without any popping sound... The only think than changed since these videos is the firmware.(1.03)
Firmware problem ?

Last edited by Couscousdelight; 04-11-2011 at 01:16 PM.
04-12-2011, 01:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I don't have this sound in my videos. I play them with Kaffeine on openSUSE
04-12-2011, 03:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I'm wondering if whatever is doing the encoding is converting from the 25fps to 24 or 30 fps?
This noise should not be created, but could this be a transcoding error? Perhaps causing a tick just about every second as frames are dropped or added (if done poorly).

The last posting seems to lead in that direction as well. I don't know enough about video, but that was my first guess when I watched the first one . :-)
04-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #19
Veteran Member

It appears to be some audio codec thing on playback/conversion.

xine on Linux (Ubuntu 10.10) does not have pops
Have not tried VLC in Linux yet
Using Handbrake to transcode recorded videos to H.264+AAC in an MP4 container always results in pops exactly like that in the original poster's video, regardless of what plays the resulting video.

Oddly, for a while, Handbrake seemed to be working fine, but then something broke and it's been broken since then...

04-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm having this issue as well in Ubuntu 10.10
A video I uploaded to youtube seems to have the pop sounds too. I wonder if it's something to do with the HD 25fps setting?
11-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

An update:

If I remultiplex the video using avidemux2 (set video and audio codecs to "copy" and leave output format as avi) - the resulting video encodes to H.264 perfectly in Handbrake with no audio problems.
11-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #22
Forum Member

Definitely a codec issue. I had the same problem with my kr. The video clips would play fine in QuickTime or vlc but when I converted them with handbrake (so I could import into iMovie) I got the same click, even tried a couple presets, all with the click. Ended up converting with mpeg convert, doubled my file size and made iMovie run like shit, but no clicking sound.

11-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
An update:

If I remultiplex the video using avidemux2 (set video and audio codecs to "copy" and leave output format as avi) - the resulting video encodes to H.264 perfectly in Handbrake with no audio problems.
I figured this out after a while too.

I use PCM format for the audio and convert the video to one of the mpeg4 formats. Then in Kdenlive I use the source video from the original with the sound of the new one. That way I get the better video with the audio that plays correctly.
11-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #24
Banned

When you run windows moviemaker and load up to youtube the sound is gone. I had it too lately. To my idea very rescent since firmware 1.10, but I also switcht to 64-bit software.
12-14-2011, 07:37 AM   #25

Photos: Albums
I get the same popping sound with my K-r. I've tried VLC for PC playback and I get it when I hook the camera directly to the TV via USB and play the file directly from the camera.

Has anyone found a solution with converting the video to another format?

AB
12-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ablundon Quote
I get the same popping sound with my K-r. I've tried VLC for PC playback and I get it when I hook the camera directly to the TV via USB and play the file directly from the camera.

Has anyone found a solution with converting the video to another format?

AB
Try using the Windows version of Avidemux through Wine.
12-16-2011, 04:33 AM   #27

Photos: Albums
He's an update on this.

I wrote Pentax Canada concerning the constant thumbing or popping noise in videos. This is their response:

This is not a codec issue. Possible sound is coming from shake reduction mechanism, when the SR is activated it tends to generate noise. Possibley the noise was picked up by microphone which is located close to the sensor.This is normal and is not a defect. However; if you would like us to examine your camera, we suggest that you please forward your equipment directly to our head office Pentax Ricoh Canada Imaging Inc.

I've yet to test this out myself...sounds interesting though. Has anyone else tried this?

AB
12-16-2011, 04:48 AM   #28
Veteran Member

That does not make sense to me with regards to the very periodic sounds heard in the video.
The sensor moves very quickly. You'd have to be doing something else that would be obvious to making noise at the same frequency of the about one per second ticks you're hearing.

I guess you can hook up a cabled microphone and see if the noise stops.

I would not take the word of the first tier Pentax support "expertise" with more than a grain of salt.
I think many of those dealing with Pentax have to go back with them many times to get them to actually listen to their customers.
(Pentax is very quick to take any comments as personal attacks and push the blame back on the user... in my experience and from what I seem to hear from others over the years.)

But, I guess I would agree that the camera may need to be repaired... I would not agree that this is "normal".
12-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

He's an update on this.
This is not a codec issue. Possible sound is coming from shake reduction mechanism, when the SR is activated it tends to generate noise. Possibley the noise was picked up by microphone which is located close to the sensor.This is normal and is not a defect. However; if you would like us to examine your camera, we suggest that you please forward your equipment directly to our head office Pentax Ricoh Canada Imaging Inc.
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I guess you can hook up a cabled microphone and see if the noise stops.

I would not take the word of the first tier Pentax support "expertise" with more than a grain of salt.
I think many of those dealing with Pentax have to go back with them many times to get them to actually listen to their customers.
(Pentax is very quick to take any comments as personal attacks and push the blame back on the user... in my experience and from what I seem to hear from others over the years.)
Pentax Canada support doesn't seem to know what they are talking about. I highly doubt they have any Linux experience either. I've recorded many videos (with and without an external microphone) and have always been able to remove the popping sound. The problem is Linux and has nothing to do with Pentax.

As I mentioned before, I use Avidemux Windows version through WINE and extract the audio converted to PCM. Works every time. Later I can sync up the fixed audio in Kdenlive.

Edit: Also, with the original video files I've noticed that Totem Movie Player plays the sound properly, but VLC、Kdenlive, and others don't.
12-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #30
Forum Member

his is not a codec issue. Possible sound is coming from shake reduction mechanism
No. I have shake reduction disabled in video. It may not be a codec issue, but it's obviously a software issue of some kind.