Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: If you have owned a K-5, please choose the options that apply:
I own a K-5 and am completely satisfied with its performance. No problems. 3941.94%
I purchased a K-5 but returned it to the dealer after discovering problems. 55.38%
I purchased a K-5 but exchanged it with the dealer for a new K-5. 1819.35%
I own a K-5 that has been returned to Pentax and repaired to my satisfaction. 22.15%
I own a K-5 that has been returned to Pentax but has not been returned to me. 88.60%
I own a K-5 that has been returned to Pentax and was returned with problems not fixed. 44.30%
I own a K-5 that has problems but have not yet returned it for service. 1718.28%
My K-5 had a serial number starting with 38 and exhibited sensor stains. 3335.48%
My K-5 had a serial number starting with 39 or greater and exhibited sensor stains. 88.60%
My K-5 has/had problems with front or back focus. 1920.43%
My K-5 has/had problems with focus in tungsten/incandescent light. 2526.88%
My K-5 has/had problems with freezing during rapid shooting. 55.38%
My K-5 has/had problems with exposure when using external flash. 1313.98%
My K-5 has/had problems other than mentioned above. 55.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by donallison13 Quote
Hi, ya'll. Let's start with your finish: Larry Drew leaving the Heels is a damn Godsend. We couldn't be happier with this deadbeat with the execution skills of Dumbo going his merry way. As to your first point: Life is like a good play; you got to tell the audience again and again if you want your message understood by all. Also, you may want to read the entire thread. Of course the poll is a flawed instrument. In fact, it couldn't be more slanted in one direction. That being said, any company that has 50% plus of its product coming back to them is hardly concerned with building long-lasting and trusting relationships with its clientele. Thanks for your input. Don
So, what percentage of Toyota's were recalled for acceleration issues? I'd be willing to bet Pentax cares as much about their consumers as Toyota does... or any other manufacturer for that matter.

02-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
From my prospective, that is not true. Having owned both a K20D and a K5, I am more pleased with the K5. The K20D is a great camera, but it has issues and the K5 is better - period. I am one of the early buyers who received one with stains on the sensor, but Pentax stepped up to the plate, not by fixing the camera, but by replacing it - no questions asked. That, IMHO is great customer service. I worked in manufacturing for almost 40 years, and every manufacture produces a faulty product. The true test is what they do to make it right. As for a comparison poll between the two, I would suggest you wait until the K5 has been out as long as the K20D has if you really want meaningful data.

I carefully followed the K20D for several months before I bought mine in April 2008. The old threads over at DPR and other sites are still available for your reading pleasure/displeasure, and they show a camera that is highly praised with a very tiny number of complaints of any nature....and those were very promptly addressed by Pentax. There is absolutely no comparison to the current number of complaints on the K5.
Now, despite the charges against those that are complaining, we are not Trolls, we are somewhat angry and hugely disappointed Pentax users. Heavily invested in Pentax Equipment, and were some of those that were most looking forward to purchasing the K5 until the negative reports started piling up. Did we ever see this with the K20D? No, we never did. Even the K7 never exhibited this kind of reaction, and if the High ISO had been better, it would be much closer to the K20D reliability than the K5.

Something went wrong, we don't know just what, but we are not happy about it. Our long term investment in Pentax is at risk, and our Joy in being a Pentax Shooter has been reduced. Try to understand this......we are not alone in our grief and anger, but we are in no way thrilled by it either. Making us go away will not change the facts, but a strong and loud message to Hoya might make a difference in their response to problems and increase their budget in the area of QC.
You might consider the huge expense that Pentax has encountered with the Sensor Stains, and consider that if the Focus issues are not repairable by Firmware, another huge expense involving returns for Hardware repairs could be encountered. If you guys can shut us all up, cover over the problem as "User Error" as was done with SDM, then they might decide to just let it all pass without comment or rectification? Does this benefit anyone....other than Hoya?

I'm done in this thread....had my say, I appreciate it that I could, and you guys just continue on in your bickering. In the end, I hope we all receive satisfaction. If you are a happy K5 user,I am truly glad for you, but if you are not I want to see you get there. If you have been holding off, like me, I want you to reach a point where you can buy with confidence, like I did with my K20D, and look back with no regrets, as I have.
Best Regards
02-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #33

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
[/COLOR]

I carefully followed the K20D for several months before I bought mine in April 2008. The old threads over at DPR and other sites are still available for your reading pleasure/displeasure, and they show a camera that is highly praised with a very tiny number of complaints of any nature....and those were very promptly addressed by Pentax. There is absolutely no comparison to the current number of complaints on the K5.
Now, despite the charges against those that are complaining, we are not Trolls, we are somewhat angry and hugely disappointed Pentax users. Heavily invested in Pentax Equipment, and were some of those that were most looking forward to purchasing the K5 until the negative reports started piling up. Did we ever see this with the K20D? No, we never did. Even the K7 never exhibited this kind of reaction, and if the High ISO had been better, it would be much closer to the K20D reliability than the K5.

Something went wrong, we don't know just what, but we are not happy about it. Our long term investment in Pentax is at risk, and our Joy in being a Pentax Shooter has been reduced. Try to understand this......we are not alone in our grief and anger, but we are in no way thrilled by it either. Making us go away will not change the facts, but a strong and loud message to Hoya might make a difference in their response to problems and increase their budget in the area of QC.
You might consider the huge expense that Pentax has encountered with the Sensor Stains, and consider that if the Focus issues are not repairable by Firmware, another huge expense involving returns for Hardware repairs could be encountered. If you guys can shut us all up, cover over the problem as "User Error" as was done with SDM, then they might decide to just let it all pass without comment or rectification? Does this benefit anyone....other than Hoya?

I'm done in this thread....had my say, I appreciate it that I could, and you guys just continue on in your bickering. In the end, I hope we all receive satisfaction. If you are a happy K5 user,I am truly glad for you, but if you are not I want to see you get there. If you have been holding off, like me, I want you to reach a point where you can buy with confidence, like I did with my K20D, and look back with no regrets, as I have.
Best Regards
That makes no sense whatsoever. If Pentax went belly up tomorrow, what do you have at risk? Will your camera suddenly stop working? Will taking pictures become less enjoyable?

If you consider my reply (as the owner of both a K20D and a K5) as bickering, I suggest you revisit your own postings.
02-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #34

Rupert, I flamed you because you and a few others are polluting these boards with nonsense. If you can't see how over-the-top your postings are, you really should step away from the keyboard for a while.

Look, I can appreciate Pentax fans who just want to make the brand better, but ranting and raving on an internet forum isn't the way to do it. Take it from someone who's been in retail his whole life, the ONLY thing that will make Hoya sit up and take notice is if they start getting cameras back. They may watch these forums to see if a real problem comes up - like the contaminated sensors - but until they have to start dealing with product returns they won't do a thing. NO company will, unless there is a serious safety risk, and sometimes not even then (think Ford Pinto).

02-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
And you are so "not emotionally invested" that you felt a need to come back and flame me over a "mid-range piece of consumer electronics". I'd say that was pretty sad, and I hope you get that help you speak of.
Regards
I thought you were done in this thread? Go shoot a squirrel.
02-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #36
Veteran Member

This poll is nuts.
02-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
HELLO...is anybody listening????
NO ....defintely not. (To you anyway!!!)

Boring, boring, boring.
02-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #38
Banned

Rupert: Your bud here. Let's go easy on the fanboys, and the whiners. I'm not responding to personal disses. There's no point. I'd like to see this poll thread continue for those interested in the K-5 to muse about. I'd hate to see this thread locked or pulled over a few throwing personal slights. I think a poll that shows 41% of those responding satisfied with their cameras and a similar amount sending theirs back for repair says alot about both the camera and the company. I'll not pass any judgements. I'd like to get a good working copy of the K-5; just not right now. Too many QC issues out there. Your bud. Don

02-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by donallison13 Quote
...I think a poll that shows 41% of those responding satisfied with their cameras and a similar amount sending theirs back for repair says alot about both the camera and the company. I'll not pass any judgements. ...
ah, no, 41% of the people who chose to participate are completely satisfied. A majority or even all could be mostly satisfied. You don't know. No one ever asked...

...and for "I'll not pass any judgements... you are joking, right?
02-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Moderators - I think it will be a better idea to shut down comments in this thread. Otherwise we all know where the discussion will end up. Poll is there for owners to participate, and others can view (and interpret) the results as they want. There is no real need to comment here. There is still another 1 or 2 threads open on the subject where people can comment.

cheers,

Abhi
02-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #41
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
Moderators - I think it will be a better idea to shut down comments in this thread. Otherwise we all know where the discussion will end up. Poll is there for owners to participate, and others can view (and interpret) the results as they want. There is no real need to comment here. There is still another 1 or 2 threads open on the subject where people can comment.
I agree.
Closed Thread