Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
You can't be that dense... voluntary online polls have no statistical validity to start with, and that one was specifically designed to paint its subject poorly.

And as jthommo pointed out, capitalizing words doesn't make them more important.

Why would I be willing to bet a nice sum that if that Poll (now closed) was more favorable to your argument that it would all of a sudden have much more statistical value to you? Everyone here with a K5 had a chance to answer that first question with a positive answer, yet they didn't? No matter the statistical validity of the Poll, that question and the responses had validity.

02-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Why would I be willing to bet a nice sum that if that Poll (now closed) was more favorable to your argument that it would all of a sudden have much more statistical value to you? Everyone here with a K5 had a chance to answer that first question with a positive answer, yet they didn't? No matter the statistical validity of the Poll, that question and the responses had validity.
Well, you'd lose that nice sum, because I'm not making an argument. All I've done is try and demonstrate the logical wasteland some members are living in.

The whole point of statistical significance is that it exists whether the observer wants it to or not. Online polls are completely useless for bolstering anyone's argument - they simply don't mean anything, and no conclusions can be drawn from them.

I've never tried to tell anyone their problems don't exist, or are the result of user-error. What does drive me insane (and I confess, today more than most days, I don't usually get into these pissing matches) are people who have never touched the product in question repeating, over and over, the same baseless conclusions about quality control, design flaws, and Pentax's management techniques.
02-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #18

Oh, and to try and keep this thread on track, I'd only buy a refurbished unit from an authorized distributor. I don't doubt Pentax will have some rebuilt K-5's for sale soon, and I think they'll be screaming deals - if you can get them outside of Japan.
02-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm thinking that once they get a handle on all the replaced units and set up a process to refurb them, there will be some smokin' deals. I like the way they have handled the issue, so I'd be pretty comfortable buying a refurb if it offered significant savings. Something like this might put the K-5 in reach of a bigger market, so in fact could help the brand in the long run.

Let's hypothetically say that by the time they get refurbs to market in a systematic way, the price of the K-5 is around $1,200. If a refurbed unit was available for say 25% less, or $8-900, I'd jump all over that.

I already have one on the way back from C.R.I.S., so I won't have to make this choice, but I think I'd go for it in a heartbeat and then buy a decent lens to go along with it with the savings.

02-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
I'm thinking that once they get a handle on all the replaced units and set up a process to refurb them, there will be some smokin' deals. I like the way they have handled the issue, so I'd be pretty comfortable buying a refurb if it offered significant savings. Something like this might put the K-5 in reach of a bigger market, so in fact could help the brand in the long run.

Let's hypothetically say that by the time they get refurbs to market in a systematic way, the price of the K-5 is around $1,200. If a refurbed unit was available for say 25% less, or $8-900, I'd jump all over that.

I already have one on the way back from C.R.I.S., so I won't have to make this choice, but I think I'd go for it in a heartbeat and then buy a decent lens to go along with it with the savings.
I'm curious, is your K5 coming back after sensor repair or FF issues? I don't read everything here, but it seems that precious few have sent in a camera for FF issues and come back and given a report on the results? No, I don't have a K5, but if I did and was as dedicated a Pentax shooter as what I see here, I would take the trouble to send it in for FF repair in hopes that I could join the group of those well satisfied shooters and spend the next couple of years just shooting and enjoying. Until we start getting reports from those shooters, we won't know much more than is already known. A Firmware Fix does not sound reasonable or logical....why would some have good Firmware and others not? I would bet that it is a hardware issue, maybe with the AF unit itself, that requires hands-on repair. If so, perhaps Hoya has decided to repair on a case by case basis when returned, avoiding another round of mass FedX roulette? It makes business sense, they have suffered major expense already, and the end result of going case by case would be the same for those that sent their camera back. Hypothetical, but I haven't seen any other ideas I like better?
Regards
02-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
... If a refurbed unit was available for say 25% less, or $8-900, I'd jump all over that. ...
I actually looked at the ebay listing in question, but was put off by the Japanese warranty. If the refurbed unit had a US warranty, it'd jump all over it too.
02-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drugal Quote
I actually looked at the ebay listing in question, but was put off by the Japanese warranty. If the refurbed unit had a US warranty, it'd jump all over it too.
Same here, but it depends on the warranty. If it was the regular 1 year plus you were allowed to buy the 2 year Pentax warranty extension than I'd be thrilled. It's hard to say if Pentax would ship refurbs to the USA to be sold, but it would make some sense, as the price here against say the D7000 is higher than many other markets and hence these refurbs could help.

02-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How do you make an ignore list?
02-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
How do you make an ignore list?
Click on the user's name in one of their posts. There should be an ignore function.
02-07-2011, 06:35 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I just done it. Enough is enough. He pollute every tread
02-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ahhhhhh thank you.
02-08-2011, 12:20 AM   #27
Veteran Member

It is a tempting idea. I have a hard time believing that they will take all the returned cameras from the USA and ship them back to some Japanese repair shop, refurb them, and then ship them back to the USA. Entirely too much shipping and handling costs, i would think. I'm sure Pentax is sharpening their pencils and calculating the most profitable way of selling the refurb. What makes me nervous is buying the refurbed K5's from some 3rd party who has an unknown reputation for standing behind the product. And what does a Japanese warranty count for in a foreign country? I do know if i buy from a Canadian store, that they will provide an international warranty upon request - same thing with a Japanese warranty - not sure?
02-08-2011, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
...I do know if i buy from a Canadian store, that they will provide an international warranty upon request - same thing with a Japanese warranty - not sure?
FYI there are a few people where I am who did buy their cameras from Japan and they did receive the international card on request. The only country that I know that doesn't offer international warranty service is China.
02-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
This may be old new to you guys but the company i just bought a new k-5 from. A great company, has a Manafacturer REFURBISHED K-5 body. I wish i would of waited now. I may even buy a spare? I think there are fixing to be some great deals to be had.
Evidently, there will soon be quite a few refurb owners. The replacement units that Pentax Canada is sending to those of us who sent our K-5's in for stained sensors are not new, and they are not our original cameras with replaced sensors; they are units that have been returned by other owners and refurbished. There are winners and losers in this whole process. The first ones to return their K-5's got new replacements, complete kits in many cases with battery and charger, serial # in high 39----- range. The rest of us are getting dusty refurbs - serial numbers in the low 38-----, with the manufacture date reset to late December. I expect mine to show up this week.
02-08-2011, 06:02 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
Evidently, there will soon be quite a few refurb owners. The replacement units that Pentax Canada is sending to those of us who sent our K-5's in for stained sensors are not new, and they are not our original cameras with replaced sensors; they are units that have been returned by other owners and refurbished. There are winners and losers in this whole process. The first ones to return their K-5's got new replacements, complete kits in many cases with battery and charger, serial # in high 39----- range. The rest of us are getting dusty refurbs - serial numbers in the low 38-----, with the manufacture date reset to late December. I expect mine to show up this week.
that is piss poor service mate..they should either fix your K5 or Id demand a new 39xx or higher, you should not have to put up with a refurbished camera ..its BS .....you guys are getting shafted by your Canadian distributor ......