Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 06:16 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
Evidently, there will soon be quite a few refurb owners. The replacement units that Pentax Canada is sending to those of us who sent our K-5's in for stained sensors are not new, and they are not our original cameras with replaced sensors; they are units that have been returned by other owners and refurbished. There are winners and losers in this whole process. The first ones to return their K-5's got new replacements, complete kits in many cases with battery and charger, serial # in high 39----- range. The rest of us are getting dusty refurbs - serial numbers in the low 38-----, with the manufacture date reset to late December. I expect mine to show up this week.
Wow, that's big news out of Canada ... can you tell us how you became aware of this information? Can you offer any published references for this, or did you piece this together from forum postings? I'm asking because that's going to be a BIG deal for those considering a refurb body.

02-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Wow, that's big news out of Canada ... can you tell us how you became aware of this information? Can you offer any published references for this, or did you piece this together from forum postings? I'm asking because that's going to be a BIG deal for those considering a refurb body.

Based on Post #125 here
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/130021-sent-my-k5-pentax...ml#post1375697

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Well, the FedEx truck delivered my replacement K5d off this morning

I had to wet clean the sensor several times as it was dirtier than the floor of the dirtiest brothel in Calcutta, but once I managed to clean it, it would appear to be spotless. The dirty sensor looked like a botched wet cleaning (been there, done that!)

The only thing that worries me a little is that it's a pretty early S/N so I hope it doesn't develop stains with time. Hopefully it's a pre-stain batch.

S/N 3820888
Production: 2010-12-23
Shutter count: 3
Firmware: 1.02.21.10

They sent a body with cap back in my box, not a full kit like Pentax USA... a spare battery and strap WOULD have been a nice gesture to compensate the $50 it cost me in shipping but oh well!!!

Pat
His and my K-5 arrived at Pentax Canada same day. His replacement serial is lower than the one I sent in. Mfg date on mine was 2010-10-07. Date on his replacement: Dec. 23.

So, evidently (key word), we're getting earlier units that have been returned and repaired.
02-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FYI: The refurbished K5 sold for $1,225.00