Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
K5 Silver - Avail Mar 2011

Just received this news from a friend in the UK.... Thought I'd share it with everyone if it isn't on here already!

Press Release:

Pentax has announced that its multi-award winning K-5 is now available in a beautiful new silver colour.

This limited version (only 50 units are available in the UK) has had a complete face lift and features a new finish, thumb wheels, buttons and packaging. In addition, the back LCD and top screen of the Silver K-5 have been reinforced to provide additional durability. The camera also benefits from a redesigned handle, making it more comfortable to use.

The Silver K-5 is also equipped with the latest firmware update, ensuring it offers the latest in technology.
To complete the new K-5 silver version, three already existing pancake lenses are now also available in silver:
  • smc DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited Silver
  • smc DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited Silver
  • smc DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited Silver

The Silver K-5 and its three silver lenses will be available from all good retailers in March, 2011. For more information please visit the Pentax website or see our review of the Pentax K-5.

Pentax K-5 Silver Limited Edition DSLR

Last edited by genez; 02-08-2011 at 01:15 PM.
02-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by genez Quote
Thought I'd share it with everyone if it isn't on here already!
it is
02-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #3

I want one as a back up to my black one :-)
02-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #4

I was hoping to buy a K-5 before Sebring March 16-19. Does anyone know if the US units will ship by early that week?

Otherwise I was just going to go with a black model. But I'd much rather have one of these silver limiteds.

UPDATE: I just pulled the trigger anyway, with 2-day shipping.

Last edited by bjsmith; 02-08-2011 at 03:22 PM.
02-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #5

I wonder if tethering will be introduced on these cameras with a new firmware?
02-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #6

Anybody bought the silver limited version? It is out of stock on pentax website. Is anywhere else sells the limited silver K5?
02-11-2011, 06:22 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by happygui Quote
Anybody bought the silver limited version? It is out of stock on pentax website. Is anywhere else sells the limited silver K5?
It's pre-order only right now, allegedly shipping in March.

02-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm tempted to get one but not sure if its worth the mark up just to have a "limited" version. Does anyone have experience with previous "limited" pentax cameras? How well do they hold their value? Does pentax give any extras in the limited package?
02-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GatorPentax Quote
I'm tempted to get one but not sure if its worth the mark up just to have a "limited" version. Does anyone have experience with previous "limited" pentax cameras? How well do they hold their value? Does pentax give any extras in the limited package?
A limited edition silver or platinum Pentax LX can sell for $3000 or more depending on condition.

A limited edition K10D Grand Prix is typically worth a heck of a lot more than a standard K10D (sometimes more than a new one would cost)

A limited edition silver K20D almost always sells for more than a new one.

I'm not sure about limited edition silver K-7's yet. Haven't seen any on the used market.

Historically, a limited edition Pentax camera not only retains more value over time than its regular counterpart, but tends to gain value over time too. However, this all depends on how many get produced. Since the silver K-5 is being offered outside of Japan, I assume more of them are being made than the previous limited editions.

Last edited by Hound Tooth; 02-11-2011 at 02:23 PM.
02-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
I wonder if tethering will be introduced on these cameras with a new firmware?
I think that tethering is already supported with the current firmware. It's just the lack of a Pentax supplied/supported tethering application that is missing. Many have reported that PK_Tether works with the K-5 as well as most other Pentax models.
02-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #11

Looks like the silver k5 is only produced for 1500 world wide.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
A limited edition silver or platinum Pentax LX can sell for $3000 or more depending on condition.

A limited edition K10D Grand Prix is typically worth a heck of a lot more than a standard K10D (sometimes more than a new one would cost)

A limited edition silver K20D almost always sells for more than a new one.

I'm not sure about limited edition silver K-7's yet. Haven't seen any on the used market.

Historically, a limited edition Pentax camera not only retains more value over time than its regular counterpart, but tends to gain value over time too. However, this all depends on how many get produced. Since the silver K-5 is being offered outside of Japan, I assume more of them are being made than the previous limited editions.
02-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #12

I tried to preorder one. However, the order could not go through. I guess they are sold out already.
02-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #13
Banned

I tried to preorder one. However, the order could not go through. I guess they are sold out already.
Cool, I guess I win then.
02-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Is the grip exactly the same as on the standard black K-5?

Rob
02-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yup, both the k20d Titan and the K-7 Silver. They both dropped in price considerably after their initial release but then they held fairly steady. I wouldn't consider them to be an investment at least in the short term. The K-7 Silver didn't sell out very quickly, but it was only available in Japan. The K-5 might do better especially since it is open for sale world wide. That and the K-5 is a killer camera.

I sold my K-7 Silver for a K-5 due to the high ISO (and I can't afford to have both). I love my K-5, especially the output, but I prefer the look and feel of the Silver so much more. I found the black a step down, and I miss the focusing screen and glass LCD panel. Anyone want to buy a K-5 black... (kidding)