Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Darn, I got this K-5 and was so happy and then find out about the video limitations
I think it would made a great video camera. Do the image sensors really overheat or is that just something that is said?
Anyone hear this from Pentax themselves?

01-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #32
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
It's not the card problem, the shown time is time before K5 sensor overheats and battery dies.
Incorrect.
01-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #33
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlover22 Quote
Darn, I got this K-5 and was so happy and then find out about the video limitations
I think it would made a great video camera. Do the image sensors really overheat or is that just something that is said?
You have to research before you buy.

Incidentally, the D7000 has a hack to allow unlimited recording. It also appears that it is UHS compliant from the notes published by the hackers, so it could be possible that even higher quality hacks will be in the pipeline.
01-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Generally, unless in cold conditions, my K-5 will give a sensor overheated warning after 2-3 4Gb recordings at max quality. It does seem to be temperature dependent and varies in number of recordings it takes, so imagine I there is something to it.

There is also the problem of relatively low bit-rate compression. I also have a panasonic GH-1 with high-bitrate hack applied, and it handily outperforms the K-5 in video despite having an older m4/3 sensor. It's a shame, too, since the K-5 smokes it in dynamic range. You just have to look at the K-5 for what it is, a very fine stills camera with limited at best video capabilities.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlover22 Quote

01-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Generally, unless in cold conditions, my K-5 will give a sensor overheated warning after 2-3 4Gb recordings at max quality. It does seem to be temperature dependent and varies in number of recordings it takes, so imagine I there is something to it.

There is also the problem of relatively low bit-rate compression. I also have a panasonic GH-1 with high-bitrate hack applied, and it handily outperforms the K-5 in video despite having an older m4/3 sensor. It's a shame, too, since the K-5 smokes it in dynamic range. You just have to look at the K-5 for what it is, a very fine stills camera with limited at best video capabilities.
Oh yes I seen videos from those Panasonic cameras they pretty sharp.
Here is video shot with Panasonic LUMIX GH1 and of course this for the Panasonic's Toughbook.
02-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #36

I've wrote a post to moderators about my topic they've closed : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/204071-why-doesnt-pentax-try-g...ml#post2241689 Is it a correct place to talk about video waiting them to open it again ?

"I perfectly understand why you closed this topic, sometime user are just chatting with a poor level.

But I think talking about video on the K5 is an interressant subject.

Some think it's useless, some thinks Pentax lakes quality, some thinks it have a very good quality.

Some of the critics are constructive some are a little useless.

So I think it could be usefull to open it again and try to give a better level to this discussion.

Could you do it."