Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Seems to me that things have calmed down a little all over in the K5 section. I have never used "Ignore', I want to hear what everyone thinks, even if I may disagree strongly.
Once it was established that there was a real problem and denial was no longer an option, some that were castigated for having "User Error" were made whole by the facts. I hope they are also made whole by knowing that many of us stood with them and would not let their complaints be drowned out. In the end, we all benefit from receiving a repair of an otherwise excellent camera......provided of course, that we get it. I've said before, we are all on the same ship, and should work together to keep it sound and leak free. Not listening to the guy yelling "there is water coming in a hole" is not working together. If he is wrong, prove it, but listen to him first, he may be right.
Best Regards

02-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Love that shot!!!
Thanks. It was taken in Spain, and the Spanish are very serious about their gin & tonics. While the brand of gin might vary, the only brand of tonic I ever saw there is in the shot.
02-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #48
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You all may have noticed a few posts missing. I said in another thread in this forum recently that there were two ways we could think of to deal with threads that turn hostile, either shut the threads down, or shut the posters down. Well, the thread is still open, so that should be a clue as to how we have decided to deal with this.
02-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
No complaint here Jim. I'm still just waiting for some more photos. While I am among the many that want to see a fix for any camera with a severe focus issue, I do have to wonder just how many shoot in such low light? I thought we would see a ton of "keepers" shot in low light, but so far that hasn't happened?
It sort of reminds me of the past two weeks when I have used the 4WD on my Wrangler in the snow/ice......for the first time in several years. Still, when I needed it, it was nice to have.
Regards!

02-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You all may have noticed a few posts missing. I said in another thread in this forum recently that there were two ways we could think of to deal with threads that turn hostile, either shut the threads down, or shut the posters down. Well, the thread is still open, so that should be a clue as to how we have decided to deal with this.
and yet you leave threads like "the K5 is a lemon" open...perhaps you should have nipped things like that in the bud, rather than have a forum that at the present allows the doomsdayers free reign and are amazed when it puts other's noses out of joint.

while Im all for investigating the problems my camera has . and I've added to many threads with hopefully quality contributions, its getting very frustrating listening to the knockers that know nothing of the perceived issues., but continue with the same diatribe as before ....The "k5 lemon" thread is a very good example of such knockers.......this is a Pentax forum...or have I strayed into a nikon/canon forum by mistake !!!..

also Ive yet to see a shot in this thread that I could not get with my K5..the old or the new one...
02-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #51
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
and yet you leave threads like "the K5 is a lemon" open....
The K5 lemon thread is not open. This one is open because unless a thread gets completely out of hand, or is not started in good faith, etc., we feel that they should be available for people to share experiences and opinions. That's why the form is here. Those who posses the maturity to express themselves civilly, and with respect toward other members should be allowed to do so. Those who feel that requiring posters to refrain from directing foul language and insults at other forum members is an unreasonable restriction are more than welcome to post elsewhere.
02-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The K5 lemon thread is not open. This one is open because unless a thread gets completely out of hand, or is not started in good faith, etc., we feel that they should be available for people to share experiences and opinions. That's why the form is here. Those who posses the maturity to express themselves civilly, and with respect toward other members should be allowed to do so. Those who feel that requiring posters to refrain from directing foul language and insults at other forum members is an unreasonable restriction are more than welcome to post elsewhere.
Jim.. that's true..but only after 177 posts, and most dubious in nature...

I will PM you my thoughts mate..as I realise this is not the place to do so..
02-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This has gone off track from the intent of the post.....

Let me try it one more time phrased a little different.......
You are a K5 shooter or a potential K5 shooter, you need to be able to shoot very low light photos with a wide aperture and very shallow DOF to get the shots you are used to taking with "some previous camera"....any camera on earth. You used to get them and they were not just test shots of batteries or such, they were precious "Keepers" of value to you or your subjects......follow so far?

*You could get those shots, and did, have Keepers to prove it and now can no longer do it with the K5 if you get one or have one that has the FF issue.

**Post some of those "Keepers" from any camera on earth to show us what you are/will be missing with a FF K5.

So far, it seems that not many are missing a damn thing....I was expecting to see pages of shots from deprived shooters.......just hasn't happened, has it?

Not that accurate focus is not important in low light, but just how important is evidenced, so far, by the lack of shots posted in this thread. Just saying......
Best Regards!

02-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

You are a K5 shooter or a potential K5 shooter, you need to be able to shoot very low light photos with a wide aperture and very shallow DOF to get the shots you are used to taking with "some previous camera"....any camera on earth. You used to get them and they were not just test shots of batteries or such, they were precious "Keepers" of value to you or your subjects......follow so far?

*You could get those shots, and did, have Keepers to prove it and now can no longer do it with the K5 if you get one or have one that has the FF issue.

**Post some of those "Keepers" from any camera on earth to show us what you are/will be missing with a FF K5.

So far, it seems that not many are missing a damn thing....I was expecting to see pages of shots from deprived shooters.......just hasn't happened, has it?

Not that accurate focus is not important in low light, but just how important is evidenced, so far, by the lack of shots posted in this thread. Just saying......
Best Regards!

Rupert..

Its seems as if you have turned a corner here...

the reason you are not seeing post after post of low light real world images , that the K5 cannot produce....is the fact that the K5 can produce them....it cant produce one from 500mm away..but from several feet away it can { increased DOF}

this whole FF K5 issues had been blown out of all proportion....

please view these images taken with a k5, while not my own..it shows that as long as your not a foot away from the subject..the K5 is as good as it gets in low light .

Field Review: The Pentax K-5 (Day 3) at The Phoblographer
02-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #55
Veteran Member

also Id like to see any other pentax camrea posted here produce the level of detail from a under exposed image...

again real world LOW LIGHT, images taken with a K5.....not a unrealistic torture test to drag a great camera down to a level of a beaten dog....

underexposed

recovered detail

original photo the crop was taken from...

Last edited by Tommot1965; 02-11-2011 at 11:29 PM.
02-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Good work Steve and I agree that this problem has been blown up too much. I know that are people on here who will refute that, but I beleive that they are in the minority. "ducks and runs for cover".
BTW where was that last shot taken?
02-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Greg

the images are not mine mate, but ones i found online in a K5 review...I wish they were mine though, as it would show that i do in fact get away from this forum LMAO

sod it..im off out to shoot some stuff...and not with a gun either ....I might try me hand at some coastal landscapes
02-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #58
Site Supporter

I've always heard/read the term "Look for the light"; "Good quality light" and imho, much of what makes a good shot has to do with good light (though not always more light).
A green and black photo taken with a night vision camera is good for documenting the night activity of animals or surveillance but that is about it.
I guess many K5 users need it for documentaries
02-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
Greg

the images are not mine mate, but ones i found online in a K5 review...

.... this whole FF K5 issues had been blown out of all proportion....

please view these images taken with a k5, while not my own..it shows that as long as your not a foot away from the subject..the K5 is as good as it gets in low light .
So you've posted images that you've no idea how they were focussed to try and claim the FF issue is overblown? Clever stuff.

QuoteQuote:
the reason you are not seeing post after post of low light real world images , that the K5 cannot produce....is the fact that the K5 can produce them....it cant produce one from 500mm away..but from several feet away it can { increased DOF}
Several feet away?

Ok then, here's two images taken by myself ( not something I've randomly lifted of the Net ) of the same number plate with my K-5 with attached Sigma 30mm/1.4

1/160 f/1.6 ISO6400 - both 100% crops. no PP - subject distance about 20 to 25 feet

Auto Focussing using Live view

Auto Focussing using regular focus

btw - that number plate wasn't even dim light, it was lit by the headlights of my car. K-5's regular AF failed. Live view focus nailed it.

And of course the K-5 can take low light photos. I've taken hundreds of them already.

Last edited by Smeggypants; 02-12-2011 at 02:19 PM.
02-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Best Regards!
I can post loads of them. I just haven't bothered up to now just to prove the deniers wrong ( That wasn't aimed at you Rupert btw : ).

Although after reading the ridiculous post above by Tommot1965 posting pictures he didn't even take to try and minimise a very real problem I felt I had to make some effort.

I just want the problem fixed. Either by firmware or, failing that within a reasonable time a Camera exchange.