Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
I still fail to see how this is a major problem.
No problem at all. Who needs a camera that can AF? One shouldn't expect a $1500.00 camera to AF any how. If you want one that can focus, buy a used K100D.

02-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
So you've posted images that you've no idea how they were focussed to try and claim the FF issue is overblown? Clever stuff.

Several feet away?

Ok then, here's two images taken by myself ( not something I've randomly lifted of the Net ) of the same number plate with my K-5 with attached Sigma 30mm/1.4

1/160 f/1.6 ISO6400 - both 100% crops. no PP - subject distance about 20 to 25 feet

Auto Focussing using Live view

Auto Focussing using regular focus

btw - that number plate wasn't even dim light, it was lit by the headlights of my car. K-5's regular AF failed. Live view focus nailed it.

And of course the K-5 can take low light photos. I've taken hundreds of them already.

It is hard for me to imagine anyone thinking this example does not represent a "major problem" in any camera that exhibits such a defect? Can someone explain that to a Portrait or Wedding shooter? If this was in a Canon or Nikon Flagship model camera, the whole world would be in an uproar, and every Fanboy here would be broadcasting the defect far and wide.......but shooters here are told to "use live view"? Why is that?
Regards
02-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I am fully aware of the K5 problems in low light, I've read most every thread here and have a vested interest in a solution being found. Meanwhile, looking through my own shots, I find pitifully few that would fall in the range where problems exist on the K5.
I realize that is just my shots, and my style of shooting, so I am in no way saying this is not a problem that needs repair, but since I can't find many shots that are in the range of problems, can some of you that are most affected post some examples of what you do or have done in the past in this range?

Any camera, anytime.....not test shots, real life keepers that you got in this range that the K5 won't get for you with the current FF problem. Maybe I can see what I am missing .......or maybe I am not missing anything?

I am not posting this to inflame anyone with or without a problem, but simply to see what it is that is being discussed in a true to life situation, not some test shots of no artistic or practical value.
Best Regards

The first reply from Christine assumed that I am looking for shots with problems. No , No , No! I am looking for shots without problems from any camera as an example of what shooters are capable of doing in the range where the K5 is failing. From the outcry, I would assume that there are tons of these shots that have been taken by shooters that can't now shoot with the K5. If so, show us some of them complete with EXIF. That should be easy enough? Maybe re-read my opening?
For me the problem was just taking ordinary snapshots indoors in the evenings. They are not works of art, I wont be hanging any of the pictures on the wall and I definitely will not be posting them on the internet other than the example I provided earlier in this thread.
These are just snapshots of family and friends that have no value to anyone else but me. My K7 is capable of auto focusing in this kind of light but the K5 I had was not (with 40mm lens)and it seems that a lot of other people have seen the same HUGE problem with their K5's.
02-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #79
Site Supporter

It is hard for me to imagine anyone thinking this example does not represent a "major problem" in any camera that exhibits such a defect? Can someone explain that to a Portrait or Wedding shooter? If this was in a Canon or Nikon Flagship model camera, the whole world would be in an uproar, and every Fanboy here would be broadcasting the defect far and wide.......but shooters here are told to "use live view"? Why is that?
Regards
"Flagship" comparisons from Canon and Nikon with the K-5 seems unfair to me. C-N flagships cost multiples of the K-5, not including lenses.

Instead, may I ask which K-5 equivalent models from Canon or Nikon are a fair reference? As I understand things, it's quite possible to find an example (or several) from the C-N collection that would love to be in the same class as the K-5.

Please show me where I'm wrong.

Cheers... M

02-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #80
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
"Flagship" comparisons from Canon and Nikon with the K-5 seems unfair to me. C-N flagships cost multiples of the K-5, not including lenses.

Instead, may I ask which K-5 equivalent models from Canon or Nikon are a fair reference? As I understand things, it's quite possible to find an example (or several) from the C-N collection that would love to be in the same class as the K-5.

Cheers... M
Simple. The K5 is the model that Pentax has put out as the best it has to offer.

02-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #81
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Simple. The K5 is the model that Pentax has put out as the best it has to offer.

Why are you so certain that the K-5 was designed to equal (or better) the best from C-N?

BTW: The images in question appear to meet (or exceed in the LV examples) the AF performance spec on page 75 of the K-5 Manual (English). So, what's the big deal?

Cheers... M
02-13-2011, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
I still fail to see how this is a major problem. I am sure Pentax will fix it with a firmware update. Until then what is so difficult about using MF or LV? If they don't fix it within the warranty period get a new one. Nothing in life is perfect.
Don't be patronising.
02-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote

Cheers... M
My Mom's $39 Casio 5MP camera (from E-bay) focuses in this sort of light regularly and with little problem. Doesn't something seem "wrong" about that?
Regards

02-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #84
Marketplace Reseller

My Mom's $39 Casio 5MP camera (from E-bay) focuses in this sort of light regularly and with little problem. Doesn't something seem "wrong" about that?
Regards
That is a totally specious comparison.

Your mom's $39 point-and shoot Casio also has a teeny-tiny lens, meaning that it has effectively infinite depth of field. That means it doesn't need an autofocus system. It's basically impossible for the thing to not be in focus!

On a large-lensed SLR like the K-5, an effective autofocus system requires complex processing of a digital signal coupled with precision mechanical systems. It's a completely different proposition.
02-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
That is a totally specious comparison.

Your mom's $39 point-and shoot Casio also has a teeny-tiny lens, meaning that it has effectively infinite depth of field. That means it doesn't need an autofocus system. It's basically impossible for the thing to not be in focus!

On a large-lensed SLR like the K-5, an effective autofocus system requires complex processing of a digital signal coupled with precision mechanical systems. It's a completely different proposition.
The flip side of that is my 5 year old Canon 5D has never had the kinds of focus issues that the K-7 or K-5 have shown and the larger sensor means it is even more sensitive to focus errors.

Canon and Nikon have had really good AF technology for years and Pentax needs to catch up if they are going to sell a camera at the top of the price range. Nothing is more frustrating than a camera that has inconsistent focus. Nothing makes me madder than downloading 100 images form an event and to see half of them suffer from focus issues.
02-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #86
Marketplace Reseller

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The flip side of that is my 5 year old Canon 5D has never had the kinds of focus issues that the K-7 or K-5 have shown and the larger sensor means it is even more sensitive to focus errors.

Canon and Nikon have had really good AF technology for years and Pentax needs to catch up if they are going to sell a camera at the top of the price range. Nothing is more frustrating than a camera that has inconsistent focus. Nothing makes me madder than downloading 100 images form an event and to see half of them suffer from focus issues.
Definitely true, and definitely a much fairer comparison. It's no surprise Canon and Nikon, with their much larger user bases and ranges of cameras, have gotten the kinks worked out better than a small manufacturer like Pentax. Of course, considering that there have been similar reports of FF issues with the Nikon D7000 which uses the same sensor, it makes me wonder how much of this can be pinned on Pentax and how much is Sony's fault.

In interests of full disclosure, I've been lucky that my K-5 has not had any FF problems, nor any of the staining or other problems, so I don't really have a dog in this fight. I just thought the Casio comparison was more than a little unfair.
02-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Maybe it is unfair....but if my Mom spent $1500 on a camera that wouldn't do what her $39 Casio does, you would find it most difficult to explain the unfairness to her. I wouldn't even attempt it, because I know her response..."It works or it doesn't, it's that simple"...and she would be right, Mom's are always right.
Regards
02-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Google focus problems for the Nikon d7000, and you'll see at least as much consternation and disappointment from users regarding focusing in low/artificial light as there is with the K5. I'm not raising that fact to exonerate Pentax; I just wonder if something's very flawed (or just inherently "limited" -- take your pick) in the sensor these two cameras are using? Or would the issue have nothing to do with the sensor?

I know I got tired of trying to find perfect AF compensation for the K7, and focus manually as much as I can. I do find it annoying that a point and shoot is more reliable when it comes to focus -- or at least more predictable. The DOF is so great on my Lumix that it may simply hide errors, whatever the aperture.

I wish all of you would stop attacking each other over this stuff.
02-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by Zugzwang Quote
... My K7 is capable of auto focusing in this kind of light but the K5 I had was not (with 40mm lens)and it seems that a lot of other people have seen the same HUGE problem with their K5's.
I am finding that I don't have a problem in low light up to about EV 2.5 with almost all of my lenses EXCEPT my DA 40. That is my problem child. I don't know why. So without trying to open a whole big thing here about FF, I would just like to know if your DA 40 behaves differently from your other lenses? And if so, do you know why?
02-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
I just wonder if something's very flawed (or just inherently "limited" -- take your pick) in the sensor these two cameras are using? Or would the issue have nothing to do with the sensor?
The sensor is not relevant when discussing the problem we are having with FF when using phase detect auto focus (PDAF). The AF system is independent of the sensor.