Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
T'is a Sad Day when Pentax admits Defeat...the Saga Continues...

A friend of mine, a photographer whom I respect, recently posted this on the Flickr Pentaxian Forum. T'is a sad day indeed when Big Brother admits they have a problem and haven't the foggiest idea how to proceed. Here's my friend's latest post on his K-5 saga:

"So the B&H tech spoke to Pentax and it seems that they are beginning to admit that there may be a problem with the camera. They have been getting calls over the last 4 weeks. The also stated that the Pentax rep said that there may be a FW fix in the works, but that nothing is official.

The B&H tech guy's final advice to me was to return the camera for a refund and continue to monitor the situation. Once it's clear that Pentax has fixed the issue (and he was sure that they would) buy the K-5 again.

He said that the other option was to hold on to the camera and wait for the FW fix, but that he didn't really advise that since there is always a possibility that the fix doesn't come quickly or at all and I'm stuck with a dud camera. He felt that if I already had three with the problem that there wasn't great chance that #4 would be any different.

It's with a heavy heart that I think I'll be taking his advice and returning the K-5 for a refund. I'm pretty sure that once the issue is addressed I will buy again."

02-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

And the problem is?

If the sensor, that's history. If the FF under artificial light, (a) it's not exclusive to Pentax, and (b) there'll be a FW fix along soon I'm sure.
02-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
I thought I had made it clear: The problem has/is Quality Control with Hoya/Pentax with respect to the K-5. This is the only point I'm trying to make. Hoya wants our $1,500 for an overpriced body and gives us a faulty unit in exchange. This is not fair bartering, IMHO.
02-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FWIW, Nikon's D7000 also seems to have a similar FF issue....and hot pixels in video mode...

I'm glad at least they're acknowledging the problem...took a while for Canon to acknowledge their 1DmkIII servo focus issue too (which turned out to be a misaligned mirror box)...

02-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter

And we need yet another thread about this tired issue--why? :ugh:

If you are dissatisfied with the K-5, and some are, that's fine. No one is pressuring you to buy one. Or if you want to wait longer to buy one until X problem is addressed to your satisfaction, that's fine too, and you may well end up paying less then than you will now.

Or you can get the K-5, discover any quirks that bother you, work around them, and enjoy a great camera. If you would rather get another brand, do that, if you think there aren't any quirks with another brand, or if that brand's quirks are more tolerable.

Count me as another who is getting tired of the kvetching.

My K-5 was sent in for several reasons, including the stain fix, and I just got a brand new K-5 as a replacement. I'll put it through its paces, make sure everything is fine, and go back to making photos.
02-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by donallison13 Quote
I thought I had made it clear: The problem has/is Quality Control with Hoya/Pentax with respect to the K-5. This is the only point I'm trying to make. Hoya wants our $1,500 for an overpriced body and gives us a faulty unit in exchange. This is not fair bartering, IMHO.
Then don't buy it . You think Pentax is bad then you don't have to buy anything Pentax . I see it's simple as that .
02-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can we just close this thread now, rather than waiting the six pages necessary for this to turn into a bunch of angry vitriolic (that I already sense in the first post)?
02-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
I began this thread, and one other, and will probably start another, because I have heard of a K5 camera body that continues to fail to deliver for far too many of its purchasers and at a far too high of an initial price point. I feel this Forum and a few others are a way and means of informing/educating those who wish information/truth on the K5 and, perhaps, I naively believe that such information will have Hoya improve its quality control operations both now and going forward. Frankly, I couldn't care less what fanboys everywhere believe. Cheers. Don

02-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear about this. I would beg to differ with you about the price. I think it is good compared to some competing cameras out there:

DxOMark - Compare sensors

We have Shake Reduction too and they don't. I have received reports that their IS and VR has broken down in some of their lenses.
02-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I began this thread, and one other, and will probably start another,.................
I think we have enough on the subject. (That's a hint!)
02-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #11

The never-ending flood of threads like this one are why I almost stopped reading these forums. What a shame.
Closed Thread