Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2011, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When the FF is fixed, we will have the unmatched "SUPER CAMERA"

There are basically 3 main issues with the K5 so far.
1 FF issue
2 Stains on the sensor
3 PTTL flash overexposure

# 2 Looks like the stains on the sensors are addressed.
# 3 The flash overexposure is easily compensated by lowering the exposure compensation of the flash.

# 1 Is a real problem when taking photo indoors like restaurants, dances, and other dim lit situations with fast lenses. Once this problem is fixed, I'd say we will have an unmatched camera for the price. Just the sensor capabilities, the improved focus (minus the bug), the enhanced metering, and so many other useful functions make this a great camera.

Who is with me?

02-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Definitely!! I'm waiting for my K-5 to come back from Pentax, but if the sensor is clean, then as fas as I'm concerned, there's just the FF issue - and it's not huge.
I'm used to fiddling with the flash exposure settings (K10D, K20D, K-5). And initially I didn't realize I had the FF issue (a batch of indoor shots were out of focus, and, although concerned, I had just assumed operator error).
But all other results from this camera have been amazing. Outdoor night shots have been especially impressive. It is definitely a great camera. The high-ISO capability and DR are what count for me.
02-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
There are basically 3 main issues with the K5 so far.
1 FF issue
2 Stains on the sensor
3 PTTL flash overexposure

# 2 Looks like the stains on the sensors are addressed.
# 3 The flash overexposure is easily compensated by lowering the exposure compensation of the flash.

# 1 Is a real problem when taking photo indoors like restaurants, dances, and other dim lit situations with fast lenses. Once this problem is fixed, I'd say we will have an unmatched camera for the price. Just the sensor capabilities, the improved focus (minus the bug), the enhanced metering, and so many other useful functions make this a great camera.

Who is with me?
I will be surprised if Pentax does not fix all three problems.

The only other issues that I am aware of are the continuing SDM saga and some reports of unreliable K-5 AF, even in good light. (Those reports were posted in the getdpi forum.)

I have been reading about the K-5 and the D7000 (and to a lesser extent, the E-5) over the last several months. Looking at each system as a whole, the K-5 does come out on top for me. The D7000, however, does have more sophisticated AF. The D7000 also has more lens options, but for my needs, I think I can put together a better zoom lens kit at a lower price for Pentax than for Nikon. And that's in addition to the Pentax primes.

So, in answer to your question, the K-5 is a great camera, but "unmatched" depends on a person's needs. It has had some problems coming out of the gate, but I expect those to be resolved in the coming months.

Jeff
02-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Banned

Unmatched???? Unmatched at this time in terms of poor Quality Control.

02-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Who is with me?
I`m with you! nevermind the whiners
02-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by donallison13 Quote
pffft! All the other companies have problems too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my K5! My first one had stains, and the second has FF issues, but with all that, IMO, this is the best camera out there for the money.
02-10-2011, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Another "my di@k is STILL bigger" club? Grow up people... lift-up the blindfolds... take a look around...

all that fanboy-izm isn't funny anymore...

B.t.w. #3 seems to be solvable by enabling the Highlights Correction and taking a few shots with the flash... you can disable it afterwards.... worked for me...

02-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
pffft! All the other companies have problems too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my K5! My first one had stains, and the second has FF issues, but with all that, IMO, this is the best camera out there for the money.
No doubt Pentax had some QC issues with the K-5. I just returned my second K-5 a couple weeks ago and hopefully within the next month or two I'll buy another one (hopefully for the last time). That said, the K-5 is an outstanding camera and I actaully somewhat regret returning mine and waiting for the "issues" to be fixed. I might have been better off I didn't spend a couple months with the K-5 because now I know what I'm missing while I wait
02-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Another "my di@k is STILL bigger" club? Grow up people... lift-up the blindfolds... take a look around...

all that fanboy-izm isn't funny anymore...
Hardly a fan boy actually..... When I came across the FF issue after selling the K7 due to a different issue (blurred images when using PTTL flash at 1/125 to 1/160second), I was so tired of these Pentax bugs, I was ready to simply jump ship and do a full switch to the Canon 7D, which I still may do. But I also have gotten spoiled with the sensor performance, that with the highlights/shadow correction gives an incredible DR...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
"unmatched" depends on a person's needs
Yes, I know I perhaps should have not chosen the word "unmatched".....although for the price, sensor performance, and features I haven't seen cameras that are a whole lot better. So if you know of any please let me know, I am all ear.
02-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
About the FF,

My K5 had no FF issue, i've shot a lot of photos with low tungten light, the focus is good.
And, if some K5 are affected, and others aren't, that could be a hardware problem, no ?
I'm worried a little, cause i send my K5 for stain issue, and i don't want to get back a camera with a FF instead of stain !

BTW, it looks like a lot of D7000 got a FF issue too, maybe this is the price to pay for high iso performances ?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&thread=37687658

02-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #11

Yes, I know I perhaps should have not chosen the word "unmatched".....although for the price, sensor performance, and features I haven't seen cameras that are a whole lot better. So if you know of any please let me know, I am all ear.
"Better" is somewhat subjective. Depends on your needs and priorities. The K-5 is at the top of my list, but here are a few reasons why the D7000 and the E-5 are also in contention:

D7000
  • Very sophisticated AF. Will track objects across the frame, handing off between AF points. Also, will use surrounding AF points to support primary - good for sports. Someone can correct me, but I don't believe that the K-5's AF does any of this.
  • Very good flash system
  • Secondary consideration: dual card slots
  • Downsides: Need expensive FF lenses if you want top quality; weather sealed and IS lenses very costly; build quality and weather sealing not at good as K-5; no in-body IS
E-5
  • Optically very good, reliable, quick focusing mid-range lenses
  • Articulating LCD. (You don't know how useful this can be until you have it.)
  • Secondary consideration: Probably the best dust removal system
  • Downsides: The sensor; very big camera; the top quality FT lenses are very big, heavy, and expensive.
Jeff
02-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff,
The E-5 with it's smaller and noisier sensor is not an option. I have considered the D7K, but I am reading about it's focus issues too. So now I am down to the Canon 7D and Nikon D300. I like the 16mp resolution for cropping purposes, so the D300 is out. Now I am left with the larger 7D that has slightly inferior sensor than K5. In the end, I would definitely prefer to keep my K5 that focuses properly at low light levels and then the camera will be really great for me.
02-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #13

hecks yea!!!!!! i think only the stain issue is most definitively resolved. dialing back exposure compensation for P-TTL flash is.....not my def of a fix--it should just work damn it.

but yes, IT WILL BE A CAMERA FOR THE AGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-raph
02-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
About the FF,

My K5 had no FF issue, i've shot a lot of photos with low tungten light, the focus is good.
And, if some K5 are affected, and others aren't, that could be a hardware problem, no ?
I'm worried a little, cause i send my K5 for stain issue, and i don't want to get back a camera with a FF instead of stain !

BTW, it looks like a lot of D7000 got a FF issue too, maybe this is the price to pay for high iso performances ?
Focus-test: D70 and D7k with 3 different lens under tungsten- and daylight: Nikon D90 - D40 / D7000 - D3000 Forum: Digital Photography Review

The FF AF issue has NOTHING to do with high ISO performances. The AF doesn't even involve the sensor, it's located in the base of the camera and fed from a secondary mirror behind the main mirror

here's a K-5 cut in half

02-10-2011, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote

. . . here's a K-5 cut in half
No wonder you are having problems with your K5. Trying to make a half-frame out of an APS-C, were you?