Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 30v iPentax Quote
Käytä jalustaa, kaukolaukaisinta ja nopeampia valotusaikoja. Ota tukea seinästä ja kun laukaiset et paina laukaisinta vaan puristat sitä hitaasti.
Please read the thread before replying.

02-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

My previous message was just intended to say that maybe you shouldn't push the shutter down halfway until you want to take the picture. I don't see how this would be any slower... but I guess if you are used to doing things a different way it could take some getting used to.

But I guess this is the way you are supposed to use AFC mode, hold shutter half down and push fully when ready. Maybe it works better in AFC mode since it will be more expectant of camera motion?
02-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
My previous message was just intended to say that maybe you shouldn't push the shutter down halfway until you want to take the picture. I don't see how this would be any slower... but I guess if you are used to doing things a different way it could take some getting used to.

But I guess this is the way you are supposed to use AFC mode, hold shutter half down and push fully when ready. Maybe it works better in AFC mode since it will be more expectant of camera motion?
Ah ok, well I push the shutter half way down every now and then for two reasons. First so that the camera won't turn itself off (I know the time can be adjusted but in other situations I like it at 1 minute). And secondly I keep track of the light, so the exposure is about right when I want to take a pic and I don't have to measure the light before firing.

I haven't tried shooting instantly from "sleep mode". Maybe that would actually help as the camera hasn't registered and movement before that, but then again the camera hasn't registered any movement before shooting so it probably wouldn't be any good at stabilizing against it.

Don't know about AFC mode, I've never liked AF lenses. But I can see how you're thinking, have no idea if it works that way though.
02-22-2011, 06:11 AM   #19
Inactive Account

On my K-5, pressing the AF button on the back of the camera activates auto-focus as required but it also activates SR. Surely it shouldn't do that? Is there a way for the AF button 'just' perform the focus?

I will also disengage AF from the shutter button

I want to have a way to set the focus from this button but only activate SR when pressing the shutter when taking the picture.

Lee

02-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Ei muutoksia minun kommentiini. Samat ohjeet toimivat aina, jo vuosikymmenet. Ovat toimineet jopa ruotsissa kuvatessani.
02-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 30v iPentax Quote
Ei muutoksia minun kommentiini. Samat ohjeet toimivat aina, jo vuosikymmenet. Ovat toimineet jopa ruotsissa kuvatessani.
If you would have read the thread you would know that it is not about getting good pictures in low light conditions, in which case your comments are all good. The thread is about a specific quirk with the SRs functioning and trying to figure out how it operates.

Thus making your comments pointless in this thread.
02-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #22
Inactive Account

On my K20D, with the AF button set to 'Enable AF', it does *not* activate SR when pressed.
My K5 does. I assume this is a firmware oversight.

Lee
02-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sapphie Quote
On my K20D, with the AF button set to 'Enable AF', it does *not* activate SR when pressed.
My K5 does. I assume this is a firmware oversight.

Lee
Yes, on the K20D. Obviously the SR should engage as soon as possible if it's enabled.

02-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Yes but you'd only want SR when pressing the shutter, which it does. Engaging SR when pressing a button that *only* performs AF (i.e. does not also take the picyire) seems pointless. Anyway I am not even sure if there is an issue with SR, I just wanted a way to AF separately without engaging SR until the vary last moment.

Lee
02-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Ah ok, well I push the shutter half way down every now and then for two reasons. First so that the camera won't turn itself off (I know the time can be adjusted but in other situations I like it at 1 minute). And secondly I keep track of the light, so the exposure is about right when I want to take a pic and I don't have to measure the light before firing.
I don't think metering causes any delay, right? So you don't actually have to "keep track" of the light levels, just push the shutter all the way when you want to take a picture and it will meter instantaneously, right?

Anyway, I've never noticed this SR problem, so I'm not of much help, sorry.
02-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I don't think metering causes any delay, right? So you don't actually have to "keep track" of the light levels, just push the shutter all the way when you want to take a picture and it will meter instantaneously, right?
Yes, if you go fully automated P&S style and don't care whatever setting the camera use. But if you are a little bit more involved in the settings used you might want to check up on them now and then.
02-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Yes, if you go fully automated P&S style and don't care whatever setting the camera use. But if you are a little bit more involved in the settings used you might want to check up on them now and then.
Heh, sure, I just don't understand why that requires holding the shutter button half down and shaking the camera around
02-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Anyway, I've never noticed this SR problem, so I'm not of much help, sorry.

The metering in itself does not cause any delay no, IF you use automatic exposure. Which I do not. I don't really like to hand over the controls to the camera so I've always shot in manual mode. Besides, the K-5 does not (nor any other pentax DSLR) support auto exposure for the K series lenses that I use so I'm confined to manual.

I keep track of the light by adjusting the shuttertime manually while walking around. And for that I need to keep the shutter half pressed because the camera does not register any changes if it is not active. All this just makes me long even more for an LX or KX with digital sensor...

When walking around the lighting conditions can change several times per minute so for me the camera will in effect stay active all the time, just to be able to catch that shot within a second of noticing it if needed. And this is where the SR problem shows itself, when it's not given time to settle it does not work correctly it seems.
02-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Ok, I guess I do something not too different, just that I only tap the shutter button occasionally rather than holding it half down all the time.
02-23-2011, 12:50 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, of course I don't walk around holding the shutter button half pressed all the time but as you say tap it every now and then. But the effect is the same as keeping it half pressed all the time, the camera stays active. A little fuzzily phrased.