Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #1

Is the Pentax K-5 good for astrophoto?

Hi everyone!

I am looking for a good camera to start photographing the night sky.
Mostly just stars and such, I don't have a telescope.

What I would like to do is setting the camera for long timelapses throughout the night.

I would be very thankful if anyone have got any photos or information regarding the K-5 and night sky photographing.

I'm kind of new into this so I haven't got too much knowledge about what to think about.

At the moment I am using a Olympus SP560UZ, but it's not very good with the ISO settins and the sensor easily get's warm and produce light pollution on long shutters.

Thankful for help!

Sincerely,
Peter

02-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the longest exposure I did was slightly over 2 minutes, but the noise was remarkably low. I think it is among the best. Also Canon DSLR cameras have long reputation of handling the long exposures very well.
02-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the reply!
I see, that sounds very promising!

You wouldn't happen to have some shots to share?
Would love to see it in action.
02-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

This was a 78 minute exposure. I came out nearly white as there is a lot of light pollution in the area but, the K5 is more than up to the task IMO.

Here is a 4+ minute on a different night with a different lens.

02-14-2011, 01:23 AM   #5

Wow those are really nice shots!

As you don't mention the post-processing stage, may I ask how it was?

LeFanch
02-14-2011, 03:03 AM   #6

Original Poster
JeffJS:
Wow! Thanks a lot! Those photos sure look great!
I will definately look further into getting a K-5.
02-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeFanch Quote
Wow those are really nice shots!

As you don't mention the post-processing stage, may I ask how it was?

LeFanch
The truly amazing thing about the K5 is not it's high ISO capability. While it's a plus what really makes the camera stand out for me, is the dynamic range. With the long star trail shot, it's Pulled about 4 stops. It was taken with an 85mm lens.

The other one, taken with the DA12-24 with my house peak in the shot is pretty much as shot. The 78 minute shot by the way was taken from the window shown in the second photo.

If I got out into an area where there wasn't so much light pollution, and had a tracking device, I have no doubt could do a lot more with it.

QuoteQuote:
JeffJS:
Wow! Thanks a lot! Those photos sure look great!
I will definately look further into getting a K-5.
You're welcome.

02-14-2011, 03:25 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The truly amazing thing about the K5 is not it's high ISO capability. While it's a plus what really makes the camera stand out for me, is the dynamic range. With the long star trail shot, it's Pulled about 4 stops. It was taken with an 85mm lens. The other one, taken with the DA12-24 with my house peak in the shot is pretty much as shot. The 78 minute shot by the way was taken from the window shown in the second photo. If I got out into an area where there wasn't so much light pollution, and had a tracking device, I have no doubt could do a lot more with it.
Thanks JeffS!
Wow, wow, and wow again!
02-14-2011, 04:28 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you very much for information!
I live on the countryside so I think light pollution shouldn't be a big problem at here. I better start saving up for the K-5 and a good lens!