Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Turning Off Electronic Level

Anybody know if there is a reason why I'd want to turn the electronic level off in the setup, like because it shortens battery life considerably? Or is the preference merely there to be able to rid myself of it because it is annoying having one more thing flashing in the viewfinder?

02-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Pentax finally gave us a real use for the RAW button. Turn the level on and off. The only time I ever use the level is so I don't have to try and center the silly bubble level on my tripod ball head.

02-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm using the Raw button to turn Exposure bracketing on and off. I got too used to being able to access that function with one button on the K20D.
02-13-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
Inactive Account

In general, I leave the level shut off for 2 reasons. First, I don't like having to cycle past it with the info button when I'm turning the rear screen off. Second, I prefer the segmented meter display in the viewfinder rather than an exposure number. I don't do much bracketing so the RAW button solution works for me. The K5 Does have 5 user modes (that I had not yet experimented with). They've also given us the option of having the Menu come up to the last used one. Before I discovered being able to program the RAW button, I was using that option to turn the level on and off.

To each...

02-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
Anybody know if there is a reason why I'd want to turn the electronic level off in the setup, like because it shortens battery life considerably? Or is the preference merely there to be able to rid myself of it because it is annoying having one more thing flashing in the viewfinder?
Is it accurate?
02-14-2011, 01:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm using the Raw button to turn Exposure bracketing on and off. I got too used to being able to access that function with one button on the K20D.
Me too!
02-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Is it accurate?
Yes, as far as I can tell. I have one of those spirit levels that fit on the hotshoe and when the electronic level indicates the camera is level, the spirit level also is indicating level.
02-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Yes, as far as I can tell. I have one of those spirit levels that fit on the hotshoe and when the electronic level indicates the camera is level, the spirit level also is indicating level.
Well, if it matches the viewfinder, then I might use it. However, I'm in the habit of reaching for the leveling tool in Elements, and I'm not sure I'd want the extra distraction of another thing in the viewfinder that I can't see with glasses plus clip-ons :-).