Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Easy way of turning SR on and off? (without using user settings)

One of the buttons I really miss in my new K-5 that was in my K10D is the SR on/off button.

Is there an easy way to turn SR on and off?

I know about custom User settings, would prefer not to use that as I normally shoot in Av mode.

Other than going into the menu (which requires 9 button presses), I also discovered Pressing Info twice allows me to switch SR on and off (provided it was the last parameter I changed in the Info screen) but even this requires too many button presses (6).

02-13-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I absolutely hated that SR switch, I kept bumping it off. I am glad its missing from my kx.
02-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #3

can you set it to the raw button?
02-14-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Christine, the press the Info button twice and use the 4 way scroll buttons to highlight the enable/disable Shake Reduction feature (represented by a hand icon) method is the quickest. Fewer steps than pressing the Menu button. But then again I don't disable SR too often. I don't see why you can't set a User Setting using Av mode with SR off.

hawk1500, it cannot be set by the RAW button.

02-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
Forum Member

I never have the need to switch SR off. When shooting handheld SR is on. When shooting with a tripod I use the 2 second timer. This will turn SR automatically off.
02-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hawk1500 Quote
can you set it to the raw button?
No, doesn't work...

I have been thinking about the same thing. Would like a fast and easy way of turning SR off. Physical button like the K10D/K20D would have been ideal, but it's a little to late for that now.

However I'm hoping a firmware update will allow more options for the button customisation, which at the moment can hardly be called customisable at all.
02-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
One of the buttons I really miss in my new K-5 that was in my K10D is the SR on/off button.

Is there an easy way to turn SR on and off?

I know about custom User settings, would prefer not to use that as I normally shoot in Av mode.

Other than going into the menu (which requires 9 button presses), I also discovered Pressing Info twice allows me to switch SR on and off (provided it was the last parameter I changed in the Info screen) but even this requires too many button presses (6).
If you only use the menus to (typically) turn SR on and off you can set the camera to remember the last menu used. That way instead of 9 presses, you're only doing 3 or 4 (don't remember exactly and my K5 is at CRIS). I missed the SR switch when they introduced the K7 (and I still prefer the button layout of the K10/K20 cameras and would gladly forgo the larger screen to have them back where they belong). I got use to it. Note that there are several modes where SR is automatically turned off anyway.

02-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #8
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi,
I guess, SR is on only when you see highlighted hand icon in viewfinder? So if you take photo until it appears, it should mean SR is off. Thus if you use AF button to focus, or just quickly press shutter until it highlights after you focused with shutter button, you take shot without SR, and maybe there is no need to turn it off physically. Or am I missing something?

A.
02-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
Hi,
I guess, SR is on only when you see highlighted hand icon in viewfinder? So if you take photo until it appears, it should mean SR is off. Thus if you use AF button to focus, or just quickly press shutter until it highlights after you focused with shutter button, you take shot without SR, and maybe there is no need to turn it off physically. Or am I missing something?

A.
Probably the exact reason for turning it off to begin with but I'll let Christine fill that in for herself.

02-14-2011, 01:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I am with ilan on this one. When I am doing a tripod shot I use the remote control so SR is automatically turned off. Good feature that.
02-14-2011, 02:15 AM   #11
SPB

Pressing Info twice allows me to switch SR on and off
Thank you, I now use that works fine for me.
02-14-2011, 02:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For those who are wondering why can't I just leave SR on all the time ...

I noticed on my K10D that under some conditions I get better image quality with SR turned off, so I like to leave SR off unless I absolutely need it - which more often than not I don't.

Anyway, the best option so far is just to have two user settings - one with SR, and one without, but I would have preferred it if I could have programmed the Raw button to turn SR on and off.

I also sometimes like to take 2 shots - one with SR and one without (that's how I discovered some images were better with SR turned off). This was very easy to do on the K10D - just seems to be cumbersome on the K-5.
02-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #13
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For those who are wondering why can't I just leave SR on all the time ...

I noticed on my K10D that under some conditions I get better image quality with SR turned off, so I like to leave SR off unless I absolutely need it - which more often than not I don't.

Anyway, the best option so far is just to have two user settings - one with SR, and one without, but I would have preferred it if I could have programmed the Raw button to turn SR on and off.

I also sometimes like to take 2 shots - one with SR and one without (that's how I discovered some images were better with SR turned off). This was very easy to do on the K10D - just seems to be cumbersome on the K-5.

Thanks for explanation, but I am just interested - is there any difference between SR ON in settings and shot made without highlighted hand icon at viewfinder (let's say autofocused by AF button), and shot made with SR OFF in settings. Or is that what you mean by saying about 2 shots?

I am sorry for bit offtopic - that's more general question, but I couldn't find the answer.

A.
02-14-2011, 04:39 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
Thanks for explanation, but I am just interested - is there any difference between SR ON in settings and shot made without highlighted hand icon at viewfinder (let's say autofocused by AF button), and shot made with SR OFF in settings. Or is that what you mean by saying about 2 shots?

I am sorry for bit offtopic - that's more general question, but I couldn't find the answer.

A.

From my own tests (done with the K10d) I would say that there is no difference, if SR wasn't ready it wouldn't engage at all.
02-14-2011, 05:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I turn mine off when panning with my k10d for shooting wildlife. I would miss the button as well with the k-5 unless the newer SR somehow knows the user is panning and doesn't try to stabilize then.