Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@AndrewShirley... Best price I can find is for a new Pentax 50-135 at 849 (nothing used around today) WEX (Warehouse Express)
The Sigma 50-150 is DISCONTINUED and I can't even find old stock on Pentax mount. The new replacement (with APO elements, HSM & OS) is not yet being made in Pentax fiting, and for other mounts retails at 949 with Wex, 100 more epensive than the Pentax!!!

Decisions decisions.. grab the Pentax at 849 before it goes up to over 1000 or wait in case a Sigma comes available and the price drops.??

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-pentax-50-135mm-f2-8-da-ed-sdm-lens/p102...entax%2050-135

Last edited by grahamcoad; 04-25-2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: extra information
04-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #92
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewShirley Quote
I like a very big hood and front element, I think it makes me look more professional lol. Unfortunately the used prices seem a little high right now with Pentax's recent price gouge so I'll keep my ear to the ground and see what comes up. It'll be one of the two and I think either will be a pearl in my collection. Thanks for the info!
I DON'T want to look like a pro, I want to be as unobtrusive as possible and at 6'4" an over 20 stone (280lbs US) I need all the help I can get!!!

Me holding a K-5 makes it look like some tiny bridge camera and thats fine by me, but a poxy great exaggerated petal lens hood ALMOST TWO THIRDS THE LENGTH OF THE ACTUAL LENS is over the top!!

I've posted the same elsewhere, its the same lenshood as for the much larger 60-250mm zoom!

Last edited by grahamcoad; 04-25-2012 at 01:14 AM. Reason: new information
04-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #93
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
As long as it's not cutting off the edges at the lenses widest setting, surely the hood is doing its job well and the bigger the better. I'm a little concerned the hood on my Sigma 17-50 is a little shallow.
I am happy with the Sigma 17-50 lens hood. Initially it was loose, but Sigma fixed it when the lens went back for a new moror and MR sensor
(defective when lens was new..now very much sorted! Three cheers for Sigma UKs 3 Year warranty and ten day repair time!)

I have used the lens quite a lot into the light and even with the sun visible in the frame and although the sun created 'artifacts' they can eiither be left as part of the image or easily photoshopped out. I have not NOTICED any overall reduction of contrast or similar...it might be there, and measureable in some way, but it is not obvious, and again IF necessary a slight tweak in image editing should easily take care of it

I HAVE noticed slight hood vignestting when the hood was loose and not on properly, so I suspect that it quite closely follows the frame in its contours.

I am continually amazed my the quality and effectiveness of the latest lens coatings.

(My main use of this hood is as a lens protector, as I do not degrade the carefully designed and manufatured optics of a 900 lens with a 30 bit of flat glass masquerading as a UV filter!)
04-25-2012, 01:39 AM   #94
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grahamcoad Quote
I do not degrade the carefully designed and manufatured optics of a 900 lens with a 30 bit of flat glass masquerading as a UV filter!
I am with you on that. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

10-15-2012, 04:33 AM   #95

True. But it's possible to fix it in a few clicks - on Mac at least - thanks to a custom made Finder service using the ExifTool util. It is actually the topic of an article I have just release on my website:
Batch editing Exif information with Exiftools and Apple automator: a case study on the Pentax K-5 camera / Sigma 17-50 mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM lens combination – Semiocity

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
The lens comes up as "unknown lens" when I filter by metadata in LR3.3, regardless of being shot by a K-5 or K-7.
10-16-2012, 05:02 AM   #96

Feedback?

I see that some you guys have visited my website. Would you mind giving some feedback here or there about the article or the site in general?

All the best
02-15-2013, 01:49 AM   #97

I received my Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX HSM yesterday to use on my K-5IIs but the AF just hunts and never locks focus, cleaned the lens and camera contacts - same problem,
I returned it and the shop dispatched another, so it almost sounds like the same problem grahamcoad had with theirs.

The shop had a sale on and I got the lens for 397 but there back up to 545 now, if the replacement is faulty I think I'll send it to Sigma for repair, from just the few test shots I took
manually focusing the lens the images seem very sharp with good colour and contrast.
02-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #98
Site Supporter

Annoying fault.....

Austin, Yes... that sounds just like it.
Hopefully the replacement will be fine, but even if not, the quality of the lens is such that it ity WORTH getting it sorted by Sigma.
Graham.

02-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #99
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The same thing is happening with my Pentax DA 17-70 SDM after 3 years. I wondered whether the hunting was the SDM motor or something else, but since a motor fixed the Sigma, it sounds like another SDM story.