Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #16

Some photos

You can't really compare prices with Kirk or RRS since they don't make one for the Pentax grip, but yes they are expensive.

Their standard plates (Non-L) are much more reasonable, that's why I think we should convince them to make one for the pentax K-5 grip. I would like to have one for both cameras so I can quickly swap during an assignment but I'm not going to buy two L-plates.

I read the review by the guy who received a defective one that scratched his camera, and mine doesn't have any sharp edges like that.

Here's some photos (if I can figure out how to upload them here)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
07-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #17
Forum Member

I was comparing the Mestos to the RRS l-plate for the body without the grip ($140). Are grip plates that much more expensive? Bit B@H lists the Kirk 135 non L plate for the grip at $135 even though it is out of stock.

My car guy says he can turn that Mestos plate into a Non-L one for 10 bucks. :-) I have a Dremel for case mods so that could be a project. Was thinking you could add a cup holder to the L bracket if you don't shoot much portrait.

I have to say the bracket looks slick on your rig.
07-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by evilcartman Quote
I was comparing the Mestos to the RRS l-plate for the body without the grip ($140). Are grip plates that much more expensive? Bit B@H lists the Kirk 135 non L plate for the grip at $135 even though it is out of stock.

My car guy says he can turn that Mestos plate into a Non-L one for 10 bucks. :-) I have a Dremel for case mods so that could be a project. Was thinking you could add a cup holder to the L bracket if you don't shoot much portrait.

I have to say the bracket looks slick on your rig.

Yes, I think some grip plates are more expensive because they are more involved to make. In the case of the Pentax grip, the main problem is that the place where the tripod screw is located doesn't have a flat edge to align anti-twist against on the front OR the back of the grip. Some plates just have a generic design with an adjustable screw and most grips have the tripod socket in the center of the grip where there is a flat edge to align against the plate.
Also the cost of making one is much higher because they aren't going to sell as many for the Pentax grip.

I would pay the 10 bucks and have it cut down if they weren't so expensive to start with. For the purpose I bought it for, I don't really need an L Plate.
I just needed a way to attach the K5 with grip to a flash bracket, and no-one on the planet makes a flash bracket that will accomodate the off-center tripod socket and curved edges of the K5 grip.
07-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #19
Forum Member

This could be so easily solved with another tripod socket or even a smaller screw hole or set pin hole, then all anti twist plates could be made smaller and much more unobtrusive. I am surprised this wasn't done by a manufacture years ago.

07-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #20

They have regular plates now

I see the ebay seller that I bought the DBG4 L-Plate from has the regular plates for the grip now. Don't need Kirk anymore.
07-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by NotaxPen Quote
I see the ebay seller that I bought the DBG4 L-Plate from has the regular plates for the grip now. Don't need Kirk anymore.
Almost forgot, they are only $49. Those of you who were holding out for Kirk to make them might want to try the Mestos plate.
07-17-2011, 04:24 AM   #22
Forum Member

Ordered one today. Thanks Notax for your efforts. I would not have found this plate were it not for you.

On a side note, the Markins plate came and it was an abysmal fail. Cannot believe they recommended it. I hope I do not have to pay return shipping.
07-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Oh boy, this is tempting... but I can't decide which I need, or whether I need all 4 plates to cover every possible combination

07-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Oh boy, this is tempting... but I can't decide which I need, or whether I need all 4 plates to cover every possible combination
I used to use the L plates, but have grown tired of all the extra bulk. (On a Canon 5DII bulk is an ISSUE!)

I think the K5 is so much smaller, an L plate is not needed anyway. On the other hand, the K5 with grip and L plate isn't bulky, so maybe I will get one.

I'm not good at making decisions anymore, or am I?
07-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #25

Photos: Albums
My Mestos L plate arrived today. Put it on, looks good, locks in the ballhead properly as well. Does not add any real weight to the camera at all. Arrived in a reasonable amount of time as well from Korea to Mass. 6 days.
07-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #26

Mestos plate for DBG-4

After buying one of the Mestos L-plates, I asked the ebay seller if they could get a standard non-L plate for the K-5 grip. They also pointed me towards the Markins generic plate. I explained that it was not possible for it to fit the Pentax grip because of the off-center tripod socket.

Now they have the standard non-L plates from Mestos and I ordered two of them.
I received them today and here are some pictures.

I realize it's not the Kirk PZ-135 that the original poster was looking for, but since Kirk refuses to make any more, this is the best thing out there now.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
07-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm a little corn fused.. Why do you want this type of mount for a camera body. I am serious. I really have no idea what it is used for. I use one for lenses. But have never seen one for the body before. Unless it is for taking it on and off the tripod or mount fast for hand held shots. Hum...But my ball head has a quick release plate for that. Do you guys use these things often?
07-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #28
Forum Member

This IS the quick release plate that would fit in your ball head. It is custom made for the BG4 so your camera wont rotate i.e. anti-twist, like if you go to portrait. It is the exact same principle as the one on your lens. Neither body nor lens would fit into the arca swiss receiver without a plate added. Also, several accesories like flash brackets attach to the thing.
07-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #29
Forum Member

And Twich, of course you need all 4 plates.

Thanks Notax, I never would have found the thing if not for you. My needs, for the time being, are met.
07-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #30

Keeps it from twisting loose

My main use is for the anti-twist feature. Without it, my flash bracket would twist loose when shooting vertcal pics. The added bonus is that I can attach it to my ballhead also, but I use flash much more often than a tripod. Notice also that it has a tripod thread in the center where it should be, not way off center like the grip. Just about anything that attaches to the bottom of your camera/battery grip is expecting the tripod socket to be in the center, not way off to the side like the silly location on the DBG-4.