Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #1

Anybody interested in Kirk custom plate for DBG-4

Kirk used to make PZ-135 Quick Release Plate for Arca Swiss type heads that was custom fitted for DBG-4 battery grip. I have just purchased K-5 with the battery grip and wanted to get a hold of the plate. So I contacted Kirk and inquired regarding custom ordering one, but to make them they need to run at least 50 (see my communication with them below). Since I don't have 2.5-3K just lying around and selling 49 of them on eBay would take a really long time, I wonder if we could gather 50 people that would be willing to buy the plate, so we could all contact Kirk and ask them to do a run on these.

Let me know if you are interested.

Cheers!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 14 February 2011 09:42
Subject: Re: Contact Us
To: pometun@gmail.com

No we would need a run of 50

Thank you,

Kirk Enterprises
1-800-626-5074
Kirk Enterprises : Quality Photographic Equipment for Outdoor & Nature Photography

-----Original Message-----
To: kirkphoto@aol.com
Sent: Mon, Feb 14, 2011 9:27 am

how about 10?

On 14 February 2011 09:27, <kirkphoto@aol.com> wrote:

Sorry not on one piece.

Thank you,

Kirk Enterprises
1-800-626-5074
Kirk Enterprises : Quality Photographic Equipment for Outdoor & Nature Photography

Sent: Mon, Feb 14, 2011 9:24 am

Would you be willing to do a custom order?

Thanks!

P.S. It's strange that you had stopped making it as Pentax just came out with the new camera (that uses the same grip)...

On 14 February 2011 09:20, <kirkphoto@aol.com> wrote:

Sorry we no longer make this plate.

Thank you,

Kirk Enterprises
1-800-626-5074

Sent: Mon, Feb 14, 2011 9:13 am
Subject: Contact Us

Kirk Enterprises
REPLY TO: pometun@gmail.com

Below please find information submitted through the Contact Us form.

First Name: Max
Last Name: Pometun
Address:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Phone:
Email:&n bsp; pometun@gmail.com
Comments: Looking for Kirk PZ-135 Quick Release Plate f/ the Pentax K-5 with D-BG4 Grip. Can this plate be custom ordered? Thanks!

02-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is it this L-plate?

Kirk Enterprises : L-Bracket for Pentax K-5

Link to similar product or picture would help. I will link it to Dutch penatx-sites to help.
02-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #3

What price they are quoting?
02-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I'm in for a Kirk plate!

Count me in. I'm using a generic flat plate from Kirk (came with my BH-3 head) and it twists easily when in use. I'd take at least one, probably two if it will fit on the 3rd party lookalike grip I also own.

Kirk makes some really nice gear, too bad it seems they don't have the funds to roll out products on their own dime ... I'm sure they could sell them if they already were stock.

Thanks for researching this, Max.

02-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
Not the L-bracket...

IT's not an L-bracket, it's this one:
Kirk PZ-135 Quick Release Plate f/ the Pentax K7 with PZ-135 B&H
02-24-2011, 12:44 AM   #6

I will buy TWO

I will buy two of them or anything else I can find to attach my K5 with grip onto a flash bracket. Because of the off-center tripod socket and the curved shape on the front and back of the grip, It's impossible to use a flash bracket.
07-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
Forum Member

I am good for 2. How many you have? It is frustrating that NO ONE make a non slip plate for the bg4.
07-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by evilcartman Quote
I am good for 2. How many you have? It is frustrating that NO ONE make a non slip plate for the bg4.
Non Slip Plate?

L Plate for Pentax with Grip:

MESTOS PD-K5HL L Plate for Pentax K5,K7 Vertical Grip | eBay

07-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am good for one

I would like one if he decides to make a run.
07-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #10

I bought one

I bought one of the L-Plates for the DBG4 from the ebay seller.
(I'm the one who had him request one from Mestos)
It's very good quality and considering it came from Korea (to USA) I received it pretty quick. It fits the grip snugly and has plenty of room to access the battery compartment and DC in/HDMI ports. It has centering marks for both horizontal and vertical orientation and has handgrip slots on either side.
The finish is not quite as perfect as RRS plates, but pretty close.

I would still prefer a flat (Non-L) plate for the DBG4 to attach to a rotating flash bracket, but the L-Plate will work for now.

I think if if enough people request a regular plate for the DBG4, they can probably get Mestos to make one. They actually have a forum where potential customers request products for them to make. Unfortunately for me, it's in a language I don't understand, most likely Korean. They do seem much more likely to do smaller runs than either Kirk or RRS who seem to cater primarily to the Canikon market.
07-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
Forum Member

I had read two different reviews where the body of the camera was heavily scratched from a Mestos plate. I wont buy one but how is yours working out? Did not want a L bracket anyway.

An email from Markins support said the PG-50 will fit the battery grip. So I am going for one of those and the RRS L for the K5 body without the grip. It is only flanged on one side so I will still commit to 2 of the Kirk if they do a run on them.
07-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #12

I was also told by one merchant that the Markins PG-50 would fit the battery grip. If you look at a photo of one, you'll see that's impossible. The tripod socket on the Pentax grip is way off center and doesn't line up with any of the generic type anti-twist plates.
07-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #13
Forum Member

Yea, it is not going to be centered. I am using a 10 dollar generic plate now which lets me center but twists like crazy and does not allow the engagement of the safety pin.

I think I will live with "off center" for now but am very curious to your or any one else's experience with the mestos. They may have improved since the reviews I read.
07-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
I have ordered the L plate with grip from Mestos, so may see it late next week. They shipped it today.
07-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #15
Forum Member

lukeap69 photography blogs: Mestos L-plate / L-bracket Review (Not Really...)

I may try one too. It's not like it will hurt the camera body, just the grip if it doesn't work out. But I did think Mestos was supposed to be cheaper. It is just as expensive as Kirk or RRS.

BTW, any one find it strange that Markins lists a different plate for the K7 than the K5? I was under the impression that the bodies were identical.

Last edited by evilcartman; 07-08-2011 at 09:29 PM.