Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #1

Some general K5 questions

Hello
just got a K5, but need to ask some general questions about a few things, if I may.
1. I am aware that things flash in the display to indicate possible exposure problems in different modes.
What does it mean when shutter speed, F stop and iso are all flashing?
This seems to happen more in low light even when focus light has come on, and pictures come out ok.

2. In Av mode the flash symbol sometimes flashes to indicate flash should be used in certain light conditions. However the same setting of speed, f stop, iso in Tv and manual mode don't make the flash symbol flash and the image is correctly exposed - so why does the camera feel the need to encourage flash useage in Av mode?

3. what do you all do with highlight and shadow correction?
I have highlight off and shadow on medium.

4. I hope to start shooting in Raw - is there any decent free software to learn post processing on?

Thanks in advance

Mand

02-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by mand Quote
3. what do you all do with highlight and shadow correction?
I have highlight off and shadow on medium.
I just started a thread about this topic (probably while you were posting your thread) incase you'd like to follow it. I got a little more detailed with my question so if anyone answers, itmay of interest to you.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/133189-anyone-using-expa...e-your-k5.html

Regards,

Ches
02-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Mand. Firstly, your manual should help with when your viewfinder indicators flash - it's basically when the given settings don't permit the camera to be able to adequately expose for the metered scene. The flash is encouraged when the camera thinks there won't be enough light to expose for the scene as is - consider it to be only a guide.

Highlight correction is useful for high DR scenes. I don't use it much as shooting in RAW takes away much of this need.

RAW is good to learn, and there are some free RAW editors around, but by far and away the best free one is the one that came with your camera (Silky Pix).
02-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
Been through the manual. Can't find an explanation for all 3 settings flashing. They do stop if a light is put on. If the identical settings are transferrred to manual then the exposure is correct, so the camera should'nt be be telling me that there is an exposure issue.
Mand

02-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #5

The way I understand it is that when they are all three flashing it is because the camera metering system is telling you that the image will be underexposed (even if the actual photo you take looks ok to you). The flashing of all three is letting you know that you can change either of the three settings in order to expose correctly. I've seen this when i was in TAv mode and did not have my Auto ISO setting set high enough. I had it cut off at 3200, but with the aperture and shutter set the way I had it, the ISO still needed to be higher to expose correctly, but it would not raise because my settings would not allow it. I changed the Auto ISO to 6400 and the flashing stopped. In manual mode, it will not flash because it is letting you be the judge of the exposure you want and will not warn you.

I hope this helps.
02-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks. That's what I thought was happening, but the manual says only one thing will flash not all three.

Mand